NCAA cancels 'everything' | FerrariChat

NCAA cancels 'everything'

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Whisky, Mar 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    No college world series, no March Madness..... sell your BWW stock.... oh wait...

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that if enough test kits had been available to test everyone who wanted them, it would have been feasible to continue sports with no spectators:

Test everyone important: players, coaches, trainers, referees, official scorers, television commentators and cameramen. Also, people associated with the venues like people responsible for lights and ventilation. Send anyone home who tests positive; the rest should return to action.

The problem is that there are NOT enough test kits currently available, only enough for people who really need them: the elderly, the infirmed, medical personnel and first responders, so the above scenario becomes a moot point. But if enough test kits become available in the next month, then maybe some sports seasons can still be salvaged.

3. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I agree Jim. I cannot believe they just didn't postpone things a few weeks, especially the NCAA.
    I know they already thought of this, but to simply give up BILLIONS in TV revenue? Insane.
    Nobody said they needed people in the stands in order to have an event on TV.

They could have TENTATIVELY pushed things back a few weeks and then see how things are,
    and either push back a little longer, or then canceled at that time.
    I know some of their logic evolved around 'kids will be graduated and gone', that played a
    large part of it.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think my solution makes more sense for pro leagues, especially if the worst is over by the end of April, which it might be. The NBA and NHL could then go directly into their playoffs with minimal delay.

5. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yes, you solution along with mine combined.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They could for sure go on and make it players-only and have them all test negative first, but I think the image that would portray would be very poor. Having unpaid student athletes play a game during national emergency for the sake of making NCAA money...yeah that wouldn't feel right even if they were safe and didn't get the virus.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    But it would also give the people stuck at home something to watch! Right now ESPN could go off the air to little effect since there are no sports happening to show or to report on!

8. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yeah, you have a good point.
    If they DID do that (play the games for revenue), they better be paying the players a chunk of that,
    otherwise, there is no other way to put it other than to call it 'slavery', in a sense.

ESPN could go off the air anyway, they are the CNN of sports and I seldom ever watch anything on it.
    Now, back in the 80's and 90's, they were great...

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Some of their documentaries (like "30 for 30") and investigative reporting (like "Outside the Lines") are pretty good, and I thoroughly enjoyed their miniseries on the history of SEC football.

10. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    They are, and I have seen most of them, albeit it years ago, when i liked ESPN...