Need a new video camcorder - analog or digital??? | FerrariChat

Need a new video camcorder - analog or digital???

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kdross, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I need a new video camcorder and I have to decide quickly if I want another analog VHS-C camera, or a new digital camera. What should I get, and what is the advantage of a digital over an analog? I see that the digital cameras come in various formats (8mm, Mini DV, VHS-C, etc), but I do not know which format is best, or which format is the mainstream. All I need is a simple camera to take family videos on and that I can convert to CD-ROM on my computer. I also want to spend no more than $400 since I tend to loose or break my camera's rather quickly. Thanks.

Ken

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Digital!!!!!

DrS

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    For going to computer, MiniDV no question. 1394/FireWire makes the computer transition very easy and straightforward.

Infact, anything else is basically a waste right now. MiniDV is something like 90% of the market share, and rightly so.

Of course, in 10 years it'll be obsoleate, but so will the rest of the garbage on the market.

4. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The miniDV is what i'm planning on getting. My friend hs one and the video quality is phenominal. Not to mention some DMB DVD's that were shot with a miniDV.And they are lightyears crisper than analog shot vids I've got.Isn't progress wonderful.

5. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Digital.

When they were first introduced, the priced were quite high, just like all the new technology is. Within the last year or so, the prices have dropped significantly. The picture is much more crisp, and like a previous person mentioned, the Firewire/1394 capabilities are awesome.

Good luck.