News

need a video mount to a roll bar

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by paulie_b, Jan 8, 2004.

1. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Does anyone out there know where I can purchase a video mount that can be attached to a roll bar? Please respond on FChat or directly to me.
    Thanks for the assistance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They do exist. I have one at home, so unless somebody is faster, I can tell you tonight. There is a permanent ad in RACER btw.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Social Subscribed Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  6. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I use an ioport mount on the rollbar of my FFR cobra. Works great!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    thanks everyone so far. will take any other suggestions also.

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I also use the I/O Port product, but went a different route: rather than mounting the camera to the roll bar, i bought a very small lipstick camera lense assembly that is mounted to the bar via a "remote" mount. (To wit, http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CM5&Category_Code=CM).It is far smaller and less susceptible to jiggling; the camera comes from an outfit that does helmet cams for bikers. It plugs into a Canon Elura which is itself quite small. The helmet cam, with all the ancillaries other than the roll bar mount, was $309. See http://www.helmetcamera.com/products.htm The Canon Elura was in the neighborhood of $600. The mount from I/O was around $99. In fact, i think i first got info on this from Dennis Lui, who posts here occasionally and on the ferrarilist, where i first saw the info.Makes for a neat package and you can leave the lipstick camera attached; just take the DV cam. with you or lock it in the glove box.

10. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I've used the I/O Port windshield suction cup mount, and it works pretty well. But, as WHart points out, the slightly more expensive alternative is to get a bullet-cam. Lots of different ones available over the net, but basically you get a lipstick-sized digital cam that plugs into any camcorder with an RCA video INPUT jack (check yours to make sure that your has one). I set up a system like this for my mechanic to use on his 355 CH. We taped it to the front grille, to the side air-intake, to the rear wing, etc. Very versatile, and COOL video. He also uses it now in the shop for repairs - he threaded it up into an F40 engine to find an oil leak! Do a google search for helmet camera....

vty,

--Dennis

11. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    thanks for all of the suggestions. will check them out. any others?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    open to other suggestions also.