Need a winter/track car!! | FerrariChat

Need a winter/track car!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by steveinct, Feb 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveinct

steveinct Rookie

Mar 26, 2004
    Connecticut, USA
    Ok...I just can't stand to drive my 911 (2004 cab) in the snow anymore (even with the hardtop and snow tires), not that it doesn't handle well, I just can't stand to keep getting it soooo dirty and caked with sand/salt...also, I'd love to get back on the track this spring. The cab and the 355 spider won't do the trick there.

Is there a car I can honestly sell to the wife as a winter car (great in the snow...with snow tires, of course) AND a decent track car?

I just drove a Subura STI...it certainly seems to fit the bill very nicely...I just can't get over the "racer boy" image though...if I were 20 years younger...although, I have to admit...it was a blast to drive.

Is there anything else I should consider?? I don't care about new/used...but I'd like to stay < 40k

Thanks in advance.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Mitsu 3000GTVR4- AWD & can be modded to make 400hp + easily & reliable+ its a lot better looking than a Soob

older 911 C4 ?

How about a Mustang 5.0 if you enjoy driving sideways :)

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  4. Supra

Supra Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    Manhattan
    I can't believe fc guys are saying this. 3000gt? You must be kidding. The s2000 has a weak rear end and power is hard to come by so I throw that one right out the window. The Mini Cooper is black magic, it just does anything you ask it to. I especially think a Cooper S is your solution but here is my list anyway;

G35 Sedan/coupe- Both great cars but having an excellent (to me) 2 door car already the coupe doesn't add up. The G35 now has a restyle an awd.

MB c55. (I love the c32 but it's FI engine makes it a really happy spinny toy that like to go oops in the rain)- Whats good here is that even the c32 handles better than the Audi 4's in any situation. I'd recommend this car highly. Also the 32's are markedly cheaper because they have a 6 cyl engine, whereas the more recent 55 has a v8. Test drive both cars to see which is for you. Here in New York the car handled the weather like a champ, I can only imagine a 4matic C-class, also most c32's are still under warranty.

Cadillac CTS-V- I'm in love with this car, the stock CTS is an excellent car in bad weather. Having only driven the V in the rain I will say it isn't as glued down as the regular model, but it could just be the v8 talking.

Audi S-type R- Not my style for fast driving but on bad Manhattan roads it was an absolute blast.

5. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004
    DO NOT GIVE YOUR WIFE AN S2000 in the winter! I have one and drive it in the winter sometimes but boy even with snows and a hardtop it sucks! Keep her out of that one for sure! My ideas would be

STI
    BMW 330XI(suspension and some goodies will make it a nice track sedan). I tracked a 325XI with suspension, tracks tires and dinan goodies for two years.
    Evo8....I had one drive with me at a PCA event and he seemed to be holding up pretty nicely against the 911s.
    B5 S4- Lots of goodies to make that turbo scream!

If you dont want the teenage racer look, i would highly consider a bmw XI or an Audi S4!

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have a 3000GTVR4 with 600 + hp from a Ted Wenz built race engine. She'll blow the doors off a NASCAR truck & in the rain or snow she is Untouchable unless you have a Porsche 959 :)

7. Supra

Supra Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    Manhattan
    Oh I think a BPU Supra can take that. ;) You must have poured money into it to get it to that level though.

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I think that you have to ask yourself a series of questions to narrow the search down. The suggestions above are good, but make assumptions without knowing exactly what your wants are.

For the Road:

1) Are safety features important, and to what level (air bags and where (front, sides, side impact)?, ABS?, traction/stability control?)? This will effect how modern a car you consider.
    2) Is exceptional winter traction an issue (if so, you are probably in the AWD camp)?
    3) If you track a car under warranty coverage, there are several companies aggresive about denying you said coverage. Mitsu and Honda have well documented (if you consider sources like Autoweek authoritative) instances of doing this--even to the extent of having employees on a national level check through enthusiast boards to find people tracking their cars.

For the Track:

1) Is this an occasional (once or twice a year) deal, or something that might evolve into door to door racing? This might lead you to something like a Miata (for the spec Miata series), and in any case should lead you to something with great brakes, and/or the abililty to upgrade (ask any Viper owner with stock brakes how important this is). Also, are there track tire fitments for what you are considering (for the track, braking is the most important thing, then turning, then lastly acceleration. Many would say that you learn far more in an car of modest power than in a very powerful car)?
    2) More and more track days are requiring increasing levels of roll protection for convertibles. This can effect your ability to fit a hard or soft top.
    3) You have a rear engine and a mid engine car now. Do you want something similar, so that your track experience more directly transfers to the road? If so, and ruling out older Ferraris (e.g. 302/328 b/c of rust issues), your choices are limited. For a mid-engine car, there are folks on this board fond of the second generation Toyota MR2, esp. the turbo or you might consider a used Boxster. For a rear-engine car, and keeping in your budget, you might consider an older 911.
    4) What's your ego like? Can you stand to be learning tons in a slow car when everyone else in your run group is passing you?

Good luck on your search

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    These days you can get a VR4 under $10k, I have about $20k in mods in mine

10. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    I don't know if it would make a good winter car, but I like the idea of getting a new Mazdaspeed Miata. (from a value prespective...)

It is not selling well, and I hear that you can get them heavily discounted. (ie, MSRP 25-6K, actual prices <$20K + fees, if miataforum.com is to be believed.)

So for $20K, you get: a turbo motor, std LSD, and 6spd manual, uprated wheel and suspension plus a 4 yr warranty! The factory hardtop ain't too pricey at around $1,200, IIRC.

Still, you would need winter tires, and I don't know how snow worthy it would be, even with the best snow tires.

So, a new FWD minicooper S is probably a better bet consdiering the snow. Be first on your block with a factory LSD! (available starting this year.)

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Saab makes a rebodied version of the WRX -- same mechanicals but loses the boy racer look. It would certainly seem to meet your needs based upon the comment above, but I think it is based on the non-STi WRX. I think it's called the 9-2x or something like that. I don't know too much about it, but I read that it's a thinly disguised WRX -- interior is the same, the body is different (though doors and roof are shared). It is supposed ride slightly softer.

I'm a bit late to this thread -- I happened upon it while researching the practicality of getting a C4 as a year-round (winter included) car for my wife -- pretty much the opposite of what you are doing. Sounds like a C4 will be fine from what I read. I'm a little surprised about the comments of 2 wheel drive Carrera being OK in the snow -- I had an 87 that was horrible in the snow, but it had Yokohama dry tires and I guess I can assume this was the problem.