Need some help on possible 308 purchase | FerrariChat

Need some help on possible 308 purchase

Discussion in '308/328' started by solly, Sep 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I grew up with Magnum PI, like many of you. I'm giving serious thought to buying a 308. First question: Will I fit comfortably? I'm about 6'4" 260lbs, and it's always the legs that can't fit. I have and had a 355 Challenge (had to take seat out and make me a bag seat on the floor). 360 Challenge and Spider-Very comfortable for me. Dino 246GTS-Very comfortable, even with top on. Cannot fit into any of the recent front engined v12's like 550/575/599. Any tall 308 owners out there? And I wear size 14 wide shoes. Is the pedal box small and/or offset?

Second question: Are they fairly easy to work on? I believe the 79 has a 4 Weber setup. I do most of my own maintenance and repairs on my Dino, except the big stuff. All I could do on the 360 is oil changes. And brakes. I don't have an SD-2. Is the 308 accessible for the routine stuff?

Third: I'm reading all the 308 buying guides I can find, but are there any issues specific to this model over and above the usual stuff that can be troublesome? For example- you don't read about this outside of forums, but the Dino's alternator routinely craps out due to oil leakage from the timing chain tensioner just above it. The tensioner is notorious for seeping oil which then drips straight into an opening on the top side of the Marelli alternator and destroys the brushes. I've had the engine out twice and resealed twice. Mine is now dry, but I swapped out the Marelli alternator after having it rebuilt for the second time for a higher-amp Nippondenso which does not have an opening in the top that oil can seep into. One F-chatter made up some aluminum "diverters" (I still have mine) that you can bolt on to the chain tensioner, and that then act like rain gutters, moving the leaking oil away from the alternator to drip somewhere non-critical. And the 355 had the exhaust problems which aren't mentioned in many buying guides. So, any odd problems plaguing this specific model?

Last- I'm looking at a 1979 red/tan GTS (VIN 28847) from West Coast Classics in Torrance. I'm from NY so I don't know the reps of many West Coast dealers. The car is a 60K miler supposedly all original and in good condition. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer about service records and current condition, but if you guys think I can fit, and there is no negative news about car or dealer then I will arrange a PPI.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Regarding fit, you need to sit in a 308 or 328 to confirm. Some people fit just fine; others don't.

Rich Saylor is 6'5" and says he is "big". He built his own seats for his 328: Replacement Seats

I am just a hobbyist and bought a 308 with the intention to learn how to wrench on it myself. So far, I have found it quite doable; no unsurmountable surprises.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    ^
    This

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you have a 246 the 308 is pretty much the exact same chassis with a V8 and different shaped body panels.

5. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wear your most NARROW shoes.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You can fit, but the feet will be tight. I agree that if you drive a 246, you will be fine.
    If you're handy, you can do just about anything on a 308. You will sacrifice knuckles, and gain grey hair though, as even the simple stuff can be frustrating.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Like others said best if you try one on personally. I’m surprised you can fit comfortably in the Dino I always thought it was smaller. I’m 6’3 270 lbs can’t fit in a 308 gtb my head hits the headliner. I can fit in a gtsibobviosly with the top off but then if I have to drive it with the top on or stowed behind the seat that is tight. Some guys have made modifications to the seat and or steering column which they say have helped. I have size 13w feet and with sneakers have never had an issue with the footwell other than one time I had my work boots on and it was tight driving.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    246s look smaller in photos than they really are (and GT4s look bigger in photos than they really are).

If the cockpit seems small, a counterintuitive trick is to move the seat forward so that the backrest can be tilted backward to give more headroom. Weirdly, I have grown so accustomed to driving with my knees bent that I catch myself adjusting all car seats like that now.

I have size 10 feet and find that I actually find heel-and-toe shifting tricky because it seems like the brake and narrow accelerator pedal should be closer together.

9. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Most people fit in a 308, but some find it hard to get out. :)

Archer911 likes this.
  10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was gonna say, in my experience there is actually more room inside than most people think there will be. But getting in and out if you are a bigger dude can be a challenge, escpecially if it's a GTB or GTS with the roof on. With the roof off obviously it's way easier entering and exiting.

There are also a couple threads at the top of this section that go into some of the stuff to look for on a 308 before buying. Look for rust in the bottom of the doors and the rear quarters and try to find one with the most comprehensive service history you can find.

As for working on them I found most stuff accessible but some things were tight. On my GTS I found doing anything on the front bank like plugs or wires etc. it was easier to access by standing in the interior and reaching over the top.

11. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    I end up with kind of a smooth side roll / falling motion where my hand is on the door sill and my feet land on the ground. If it is practiced enough it can look like you meant to get out that way. It doesn't look good for a middle-aged guy to lose his balance while getting out of a Ferrari. lol Yes getting in seems much easier for some reason.

12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It’s already been mentioned but when I first got my 308 it seemed there wasn’t much headroom and I could barely push the clutch or the gas pedal all the way to the floor, had to really stretch. Eventually I found I had to move the seat forward a couple of notches and recline the back to a ludicrous angle and suddenly it all worked. I could even see all the gauges through the steering wheel. Felt weird at first but I quickly adapted and got used to it.

Again, if you already own a 246 then you already know this.