Need some help shipping a Land Rover | FerrariChat

Need some help shipping a Land Rover

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by 328Nero, Jan 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328Nero

328Nero Karting

May 14, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    The Dude
    I need to ship a Land Rover to my brother in law from Houston to Honolulu. Does anyone know of someone good?

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

From Long Beach to Honolulu, you will have two choices: Matson or Horizon. I think that they are both about the same cost and provide essentially equivalent service. There has been some discussion that Horizon is better because they put the cars in containers, but Matson is RoRo and the cars are not on the weather decks, so I am not convinced that there is much difference. There is also the option to go by air, but that is likely not in your program.

For the Houston to Long Beach leg, I have nothing useful to contribute other than to say it sounds like a great opportunity for a road trip!! When I drove across country, I really enjoyed the Arizona and New Mexico desert. It was winter time and the weather was cool and clear and many of the cactus were in bloom. It was beautiful.

3. 328Nero

328Nero Karting

May 14, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    The Dude
    #3 328Nero, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    Thanks for the info, I will give them a call..I wish I had time to drive it. Most likely if I had that kind of time right now I would hop on a plane and head home for a while (allow me to clarify that) I am not from Hawaii but I married a local girl 7 years ago and I have been adopted by the family as an honorary local..although I am still classified as a howlie.

I was just there in December for my father in law's funeral (not fun) but i must have passed your place 10 times and didnt know you were there. Damn, now I want a plate lunch from Zippy's!

4. Killing Time

Killing Time Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I used Horizon to ship my car (an Audi) out just a few weeks ago. Had no mistreatment of the car, additional miles or any other problems.

5. wbc

wbc Karting

Sep 21, 2007
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Another option is Pasha Hawaii - they operate a RoRo ship from San Diego; same price as Matson & Horizon. Have used them for exotics, very good job.

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

It is a small world. I have a long time friend that used to live here and now lives in Plano. Without going to Google maps to check, I think that Plano is outside of Houston. He is an Abarth fan and he still owns the very first Ferrari that I owned (250 GTE). He comes over once or twice a year and we go to Zippy's for lunch and conversation.

Please, stop by and say "Aloha" next time you are in Hawaii.

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your father-in-law.

7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Plano is north of Dallas :)

I was just there last weekend.

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    OOOPS! Thanks for setting me straight. Although I violate it daily, one of my guiding principles is: It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt. Besides, what does a couple hundred miles amount to in a state the size of Texas?......;>)

Here's a shot in the dark. You wouldn't be the Arupt Gupta of Click and Clack, Car Talk fame would you???

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've used Matson out of Seattle with no problems.