New 348 Owner | FerrariChat

New 348 Owner

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JM280z, Jul 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Hi all,

1991 348 TS. 57k miles. Full mechanical restoration.

1) at idle, the oil pressure appears to sit at near 0
    Is this normal?

2) it supposedly doesn’t have a rev limiter. What’s a safe RPM to stop at?

3) it idle down and died a couple times driving it home. Ran great on the 15 min test drive. Didn’t drive much for the last 2 years. Battery terminals were corroded along with the battery disconnect, but I fixed both those things and it still is idling between 800-1000 rpm. It also backfired a couple times while it sat after idling real low, a light clink noise in the engine, then pop pop bang! From the exhaust, and then it caught back 1,000 RPMs. Thoughts? It has 1-2 year old fuel with no stabilizer in it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome & enjoy - you'll get better information & answers in the 348 section below (halfway towards the aviator one you already use)

Oil pressure at low revs shows as low on some Ferraris - does the warning light come up ?

Rev limit is in the owners book as 7400 with max power at 7000 & max torque at 4000

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    First off, welcome!

A lot of cars that sit will start to corrode on the connections. DeOxit is your friend. Read up on MAFs, maybe clean them out (with MAF cleaner), make sure your fluid levels are correct and you know how to check them. (i.e. oil at temp with engine running).

My car reads like so when running, warm and ready to go. L mark when idling at a stop light, H mark when cruising.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Do you know the service history?

sjd

4. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Hi All,

The car is running great now. Solution: I deleted the original negative and positive battery cables with a solid one. I put a quick detach on negative terminal though.

The oil breather was not connected too.

Oil is on the lower 5th of low/max level so I will add some to see if that helps with oil pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    When was the last fresh oil change?

sjd

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Make sure you have the proper weight of oil.
    Exactly per the manual......

Lack of use may have something going on.

I would say your stalling problem might be solved with some Shell Premium fuel and a run, after you sort the oil pressure a little further...

Welcome and congrats!!!

With our alloy tanks I never let my car sit more than a few weeks without running down and adding some fuel to keep it fresh!!!
    A tour of Shell Labs informed they NEVER store fuel, unless refrigerated.

So go with that....

7. marknado

marknado Rookie

Mar 4, 2021
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #3 Sounds like ECU needs calibration after battery disconnected, has caught me out before.

After the battery is disconnected, on first start up, start the engine and don't give it any inputs for ~10 minutes, let it idle, then drive.