New 360 spider coming in March | FerrariChat

New 360 spider coming in March

Discussion in '360/430' started by gekko, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gekko

gekko Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After 25 years of wanting one, five years of being able to afford one and two years on the wait list, I finally have a new 360 spider coming. Build scheduled for February 04, arriving in Australia in March.

Before it arrives I have two big questions which I am hoping the board can supply some input on...

1) There is a lot of spy articles around that suggest the engine size for the Modena is being increased to 4 litres prior to a totally new model in 2005 which will have an engine size of 4.2 litres. Does anyone know if this is true? If so do they know when and lastly should I proceed with the February build or try and push it off a bit longer. I really don't want to have to wait any longer but don't want the value to prematurely decrease either.

2) Still trying to decide on the final colours. Suggestions would be welcome but I am looking for a good exterior colour that highlights the 360's beautiful lines and works well with a light colour for the leather. Living in a very sunny climate, I intend to make the maximum use of the open top and black leather would be a killer.

Joined this board only a few weeks ago, but I am really enjoying the discussions. Who knows another 25 years and maybe I can afford to have two Ferraris!

2. kenjulco

kenjulco Rookie

Nov 1, 2003

3. kenjulco

kenjulco Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I am living in Melbourne and Im curious to know what you paid for the 360 Spyder?If ever you want to sell your car fast you should have an exterior of red.I presently have a 355 Spyder in red.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yellow is amazing for the Spider but then you want a light leather interior so that wont do..

Red is great if very common.

You can go Nart or TDF blue with Natural or caramel leather , thats beautiful !

BTW , congrats on the new car :D

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I agree, go with Nart, TdF or Le Mans blue, and get a tan interior with blue piping...will look stunning.

--Dan

6. gekko

gekko Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Price is set when I finalise the order which is this month hence the colour question. I estimate around A$430,000 which for our US readers works to around US$309,000 at the current exchange rate. Nearly worth shifting to America for!

amenasce - My original order was for the traditional colours but over the last few weeks I have also come to think that a blue exterior would look the best with the light colour for the leather.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Wow, you guys have steep import duties!!!

Another color scheme I like (others will disagree) is Titanium over tan. Personally I thnik it looks good...but i'm clearly in the minority.

--Dan

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Gekko: does the same import duty apply to used cars? If not, how much less it is? At those prices, if the import duties on used cars are lower, you're better off bringning in an F40, no?

--Dan

9. gekko

gekko Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Tax in Australia was changed dramatically a couple of years ago when we went to a GST (VAT) tax system. Supposedly this meant that we would only pay 10% GST on anything. When they realised that luxury imported cars would suddenly become more affordable they decided they needed to introduce a 'luxury car tax' at the same time that made sure the prices stayed the same.

Basically we pay a fortune in tax but I have friends in Denmark and they tell me we have it lucky on luxury cars!

The big problem with importing a car is that you have to have one RHD as Australia followed the UK for the side of the road we drive on and the roads generally are not good enough to drive a LHD vehicle on a regular basis (I'm not sure but I think you may need to always have someone in the passenger seat if you do have a LHD vehicle here). Anyway it means I could import one from the UK but I'm not sure it would turn out any cheaper because they would still hit me with at least 10% tax on importation and maybe more.

Personally, I made the decision that the cost for a Ferrari was a small part of the equation. When I signed up the cost was not known but I have wanted one all my life and I really wanted a new one that no one else had driven. I test drove two Ferarri back in the eighties and I had an SLK 32 on order two years ago and then thought 'why am I wasting time, buy the car you really want and forget the cost'.

10. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I recently put down a deposit on the follow up to the 360 spider. They were tight lipped about the upgrades coming but they did say that whilst the Coupe is arriving in 2005 and the spider only arrives in 2006.

Plenty of time to enjoy the current spider.

As for colours, the cream takes a lot of effort to keep pristine so I recommend the tan for a light interior. Exterior - Red, black of Blu TdF would get my vote.

11. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Not really that many problems driving a left hooker in the UK and you certainly don't need a passenger !!

IDEA :

How about you buy me a 360 Spyder (RHD) over here, keep it for a year - little use (honestly) and I will move to Oz for a year (live with you) and I can bring it in as a personnal import and therefore no tax. After a year I'll move back to the UK - only beer and food need to be provided. Total cost would be a lot less than $AUD 400,000 - could probably save you at least $100,000. What do you reckon ?

(from an honest Pom)

Worth a try ........

IMHO - Red with cream/tan interior.

12. gekko

gekko Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No such thing :)

Good luck against France on Sunday.

Go the mighty Wallabies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I vote for blue (TDF or Nart) with tan interior. That is my favorite 360 spider color combo second to yellow/black. Not to bash red/tan though. Oh the choices one must make.
    Erik

14. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Fancy an Oz vs England final then ?

Think England will just squeeze it on Sunday.

15. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    PLEASE buy it in WHITE with TAN interior and HOOPS TO MATCH..

that way I can get exactly what I want when it's on the market in a few years. :)

Luke.

PS, what options do you have for the roof color?

16. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Your first ferrari should always be RED with TAN.
    Beautiful color, great resale. It screems Ferrari.
    Think about it.

17. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #17 Garretto, Nov 13, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Your first Ferrari should be the colour you prefer, it is very sad to buy a Ferrari thinking of its re-sale value. Get another car then.

Anyway red/tan is far better than red/black. But for god's sake why does everyone think Ferraris need to be red? There's plenty of other beautiful colours.

How about Grigio Alloy with tan, cream or sabbia?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    #18 Garretto, Nov 13, 2003
  19. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    That is the one I would pick - its even better "live"

20. todd

todd Karting

May 20, 2003
    fresno
    Full Name:
    todd spencer
    Black exterior with tan interior is a beautiful combination. Unfortunately I cannot upload a pic but take a look at my profile.

21. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #21 360CS, Nov 13, 2003
    Hi Guys

Well i had the pick and in the end its good old F red with black and red stitching.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. kenjulco

kenjulco Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    It is not the taxes the Aussie Govt imposes it is the greed of the importer.If you look at Hong Kong you would see that prices are a third less than Australia and HK has a 90% tax on new cars.
    Basically we are getting Hosed by the dealers.The dealer in WA seems not to make as bigger margin on his cars.We should be getting much lower prices due to the strong Aussie dollar and we arent.
    There is a company in Sydney who are doing parellel imports.I met with them once and they picked me up at the airport with a 456 1996.Great car and they wanted $160k.That proves my point.Its not RHD or LHD its the dealers.

23. gekko

gekko Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Don't know what second hand prices are like overseas but, as I previously mentioned, I want a new one so cheap deals from HK aren't going to cut it.

Also I don't intend to sell it, I actually would like to buy a few more in the future, so resale is not important but having a colour that you can live with for a long time is. I know that the other Ferraris I would like to pick up will be second hand and in that case mechanical and overall condition are more important than colour schemes but for the first one I can chose any colour I like and I want to make sure it is the right one.

I originally ordered it with red/tan but I knew I could change it up until now and knew that I probably would.

BTW does anyone have any comments on the impending change to 4 litres? Is it going to happen and if so when?

ferrari355gtb - Wallabies to do the All Blacks on Saturday, England to beat France on Sunday... Next Sunday, Australia versus England, winner takes all. Just the way it should always be!

24. abavai

abavai Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    360 f1 red, red calipers, xenon.
    Interior black carpets and setas, but red piped and daytona seats.
    Daytona seats are very important for me. The sort seats are very comfortable but are too big.

25. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Ferrari's should all be RED so you can tell its a Ferrari.
    Let the flaming begin