New ANSA mufflers for 365BB | FerrariChat

New ANSA mufflers for 365BB

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Nate365, Jan 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nate365

Nate365 Rookie

Oct 9, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Nate Stevens
    On checking the Ansa Classic website c. December, I noticed that they were listing OEM type exhaust parts for the 365BB. Given the questionable condition of my originals, I went ahead and ordered a pair of new mufflers, which arrived recently. They were supposedly the very first of the new 365 production parts (...I'm the inadvertent guinea pig?!) but they look great and are definitely factory fresh. It might be a while before final fit is 100% confirmed, but all looks fine and I think this particular restoration challenge is finally resolved.

I went ahead an opened the worst original muffler to see what was happening inside. It had one external patch already, and there were some suspect pin holes near that area too. Inside, one corner of the inner shell was rusted-through where moisture must condense (upper right portion of image). Fwiw the mufflers are double-layered, with a sheet of insulation material between them - 1975 = asbestos, surely.

Each original muffler was 9-10 lbs heavier than it's replacement, presumably due to the thick carbon buildup seen everywhere. Probably need to check jetting & richness eventually!

I have no affiliation with Ansa or their Classic distributor in TX, but was happy with their service & wanted to report. Regards to all, Nate
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's interesting to see inside one these for the first time. What are you doing about the secondary boxes?

3. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank you for cutting that muffler up. It is so interesting to see the internals.

4. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    On the shelf I have an 'original' ANSA 365BB sport exhaust, just the main pair of boxes (used). When I got it I was very surprised, shocked even, at the weight of these parts.
    So far I can't find a big enough wall area on which to hang it for decoration. I can't see it being used on the car.