New Cars under $40k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Cars under $40k

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Working on a getting a Mini as a promo Texas Driver Magazine car.... So far so good......

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #27 writerguy, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the reasons I sarted this thread was that I have had a number of cars in that price point delivered to the office here over the last couple of months and i was having a tough time saying "THIS" is the one.

But I gotta tell you the one that SHOCKED me more than any other was the new Crossfire..... (my pix) 34,999 would match the price. Now that said the car is mostly mercedes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Why would you pick "that" SLK when the "real" SLK has the MB star and a convertible top ?

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Nissan has never made, let me stress "never" once again, they have never made a decent looking convertible version for their Z cars. The 350Z is definately not an exception.

Voting for 3 series - 'sporty', comfy, reliable and practical.

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I am not saying that I would pick it just that it shocked me. Good sign that "UberChrysler" is heading in the right direction

I have a tough time getting in the SLK (6 footers are tight)

6. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #31 writerguy, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Again with my pix

bit too much "Junk in the Trunk" for me
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Writerguy....

I am 6' 1" and have no clearance or comfort problems in the SLK at all.......try taking off the cowboy hat next time.......heh.

8. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    If you have to go new, I would reccomend these cars...

- Infiniti G35 (coupe or sedan)
    - BMW 330i with performance package (not sure if it is under $40k)
    - BMW 3 series
    - Nissan 350Z
    - Subaru WRX STi
    - Mitshubishi EVO 8
    - Mazda RX8
    - Lexus IS300
    - Audi A4

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Infinity G35 Sedan just beat all the other 4 doors in the latest Car and Driver test. Too bad the interior is so ugly.

10. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Writerguy, dont overlook the Acura. The all new 2004 TL is a sweet car!

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Crap...! How could i forget the Crossfire...?!? A very cool car... Only thing i didn't like about it was Mercedes' signature "too safe" traction control...

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

I agree, Looking at the options that are in the market..
    If I didn't know the marketplace as well as I do it would be overwhelming....

cowboy hat???? Jeez B'ye dan't ya know I'm a canadian BLuenose fisherman stuck her on the lone praireeeeee......

13. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Guess I'm one of the "a**holes" with a BMW (I never thought I would be called an A**hole for the kind of car I drive....as we all know or should know, the type of car one drives says NOTHING about the character of the driver- good or bad, well except that Writerguy thinks this is the case). Anyway writerguy, I will not take your "assinine" comment personally :), but I saw the performance package 330i, and it really does have some nice touches- larger wheels, 6-speed, alacantra (spelling) on the steering wheel & shifter, special interior trim and 10 more HP. I didn't see the price of it though..

The other cars I like have been mentioned here - the WRX STI, Acura TL, and I have to admit the Crossfire does look neat to me! I think it's coming in a convertible soon.

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Nothing personal,,, BMW makes a great product and you can tell the "Drivers" from the Follower's by looking at the package they have....(OK Everyone have fun with that)

there are, round here, lots of poseurs who only seem to buy something because every one else has one.... (my point)

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    With a statement like that, you could convince us that you write for another publication on the side... Maybe Playgirl or something like that... :)

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Since I share a city with you, I concur. I wouldn't buy a BMW for that very reason. Not that they aren't good cars, but I see 100 a day.

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I concur, bimmer, but I would buy a Subaru, they are bad ass, the BEST bang for your buck out there, and with $10,000 you can make it a full-blown WRC car and still have 2 or 3 grand left over.

18. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That's HIGH ---- LARIOUS !!!!!!

19. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I was over visiting Audiguy yesterday (your neck of the woods) driving a BRIGHT yellow S4 in the rain must have passed 100 just on my way home....

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Is exclusivity really that important to that many people...?

i live in a pretty nice area and i see the latest 'Vettes, Mercedes, BMWs, SUVs, 911s, Vipers all the time... i also see a lot of Porsche Boxsters but that doesn't change the fact that i'd still LOVE to have one... What is it about exclusivity that's so important...? Should i start a separate thread about this...?

21. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Mini Cooper S
    MB SLK
    BMW 330i
    Infiniti G35 Coupe

22. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I think that it's just a BIT depressing when you pay through the nose for a car and still see 1 million of a certain model on the road. I laugh at all the teenage punks in their Mustang GTs when they pull up at lights next to me and start revving their engines:

1. I DO NOT CARE if your 0 - 60 time is better than mine, I'm in a FERRARI
    2. Your girlfriend in the front seat would still RATHER be sitting in my front seat
    3. Remember this, Henry Ford said: "whenever I see a Ferrari I tip my hat"
    4. Ferraris, by their very nature, limited production, rare in numbers, and a sight to behold, the fast n furious mobiles are a dime a dozen

Nevertheless, I still would but a Subaru WRX or a bimmer 3 series or an AMG C series for that price range

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Because "that" SLK IS $11,000 less than the "real" SLK. Plus, it looks a little more masculine IMOP.

24. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Nicely equipped Mini Cooper S, works or not. Plenty of space for groceries, fwd is helpful depending on climate, build quality appears good, lots of fun to drive.

Pontiac New GTO: I think this is available, for maybe $35K? No clue how it is, but looks nice to be honest, bland but hey, whos gonna argue with 350 HP? tempting....

Wait a bit for New mustang, put aftermarket hood on it with a scoop...car is cool retro;)

Overall, I say cooper S Works, warrantied and all.

25. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Have to second the GTO... There will be a lot of aftermarket parts for it if that is your thing and there won't be too many of them on the road for a few years... I also think you should look at Audi A6's; they are a bit about 40k but with the new model coming out I am sure there will be great deals on the 'leftovers'... IMHO an A6 is head and shoulders above a 3 series (M3 excluded)...