New Clutch Recommendations (Kevlar/Upgrade?) | FerrariChat

New Clutch Recommendations (Kevlar/Upgrade?)

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat326, Jun 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I've been advised to buy at least an OEM friction disc, if not complete kit. But I notice that AW Italian is selling the AP system for about $700 on eBay, and Superformance is selling an AP kit for closer to $500. Further, Superformance offers an AP Racing upgrade with "superior clamping force" for only about $110 more, which doesn't sound bad.

I've read other threads here about how the clutch is designed to be the weak point, so that - in a catastrophe - it will fail instead of the flywheel (which could severely injure the driver). BUT most of those warnings have been in connection with ALSO using lightened flywheels. Some other threads also suggest using a kevlar-coated disc for longer life.

What product do you recommend? The AP with superior clamping force sounds good, unless it decreases street driving comfort in any way. I'm not actually planning to race.

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I replaced the original clutch in my 83 QV at 54k, now have 71K with an original replacement. I love the feel of the 308 clutch, it's light and simple to engage. For me, I would not stray from original.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I put about 300 miles on a GTBi that had a Kevlar clutch this past winter. I loved it.

I actually didn't even know it was Kevlar until much later when I was talking to the shop about it and how much I enjoyed the feel.

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Who even makes the Kevlar?

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No real opinion about the clutch materials itself.

But, I would stay with a stock pressure plate, as to change that will totally increase the heaviness of the peddle.

Race motors need racing clutches!
    :D :D :D

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    AP Racing is just the name of the company. Do not be taken in by that. They make all the 308 clutches.

The heavy duty clutch being sold is just a Daytona clutch. It will not last one mile longer or work better in any way but you will get tired of the heavy clutch pedal. Great way to **** up a perfectly good car.

Clutch being a weak link? What idiot said that?

Stock clutches routinely go 75,000 or more miles. What are you trying to improve?

My own 328 had an old clutch in it of unknown age. When I rebuilt the motor I reinstalled it. I expect it will still be there after I can no longer drive. I have no idea why I would need to do it differently.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I saw no record of mine being replaced in the records when I bought it. The owner at the time was John Apen and it was FAF that sold it new so he had a nice thick stack of paperwork on it.

I finally replaced it at about 110,000 miles so I know it had AT LEAST 60,000+ miles on it because John never replaced it when he had it. It didn't "need " it but I had in over in Atlanta for something else and I thought why not? May as well because its time is coming. Has to be.

It still looked great, in fact it is hanging on a nail on my garage wall. It could very well be the original part.

Pretty amazing to me

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Exactly. People speak as if there is some shortcoming in the clutch. It is a very good part.

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ok. Stock then. Last question: Is there something I'm missing about the nearly $200 price difference between AW Italian/eBay and Superformance? Do you get slammed with customs duties, or are they just far more price competitive?

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I did the Kevlar, it's been great.

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    George -

Who is the manufacturer, and where did you get it?

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

13. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks George!

14. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Reviving an old thread but curious if any others have used the kevlar clutch disk from Superformance (or elsewhere.) My original Borg & Beck pressure plate looks go good after a good clean and the car only has 58k kms (36k miles) so I'm thinking of using it since they seem to last so well. The cost of the new AP pressure plate is minimal but the original B&B with 36k miles may be better.
    The disk was near the limit so I'll change it and the T/O bearing. Thanks for your input.

15. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Unless you're Barny Olfield, use a clutch assembly with OEM Specs. Just no reason to sway. You wanted a 308/328/GT4 didn't you? Then dance with the one that brung ya! Kevlar...Smevlar! Won't make a difference in this application. it's like, "What oil should I use? Just put the right weight in and drive it! :)

16. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Dr. Tommy speaks highly of the kevlar disk above and if a few people like the feel then I'd rather have the smoother, more durable (typically) kevlar disk.

17. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I called NJB and had a fresh AP donor disc rebuilt in Kevlar.

After rebuilding my motor, my mechanic took the car out for a shakedown and noted that the Kevlar material had a very sudden and immediate "bite" when releasing the pedal, as opposed to OEM, which - in my few drives before taking apart the car - felt like it engaged more softly/gradually. I'm not talking about how fast one lets off the pedal, either, but rather how forcefully the disc engages. After taking a few hundred miles to gently break it in, I can say it performs beautifully once you get used to it! Never drove a fresh OEM disc (my clutch was nearly shot when I got the car), but the Kevlar feels pretty damn good.

18. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #18 jmaienza, May 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I relined my clutch with Kevlar over three years ago and have put 8K on my 308 since then. It engages smoothly, does not grab and feels fine. I chose kevlar due to its heat resistance and durability.

I contacted HR Clutch, sent them the specs for the original thickness and mailed off my clutch and pressure plate. Everything came back in perfect order. The cost was comparable to a regular clutch at the time. The kevlar material is labeled as Cluchtex by Tribco.

Here are the links:

New and Remanufactured Clutches for Foreign and Domestic Cars - HR Clutches, Inc.

Tribco Inc. - Home of Clutchtex and Braketex, the first 100% KEVLAR fibered textile composite friction materials.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Thanks Joe!

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Marketing at work! Many "upgrades" fix a problem that does not exist.

Is it a street car? Use the oem clutch; it's a better choice for that purpose in every way. Smoother engagement, long life, no break-in necessary, if overheated/slipping, which is unlikely to happen on the street but might on the track, it will return to normal when it cools.

Is it a race car? Install a Kevlar clutch. It will handle high horsepower loads/track use without slipping. BUT, its engagement is harsher and if it is overheated, it will NOT return to normal. Also, 500+ mile break-in commonly necessary per the manufacturer.

Really, for driving these cars as produced for street use, there are only disadvantages to using a Kevlar clutch disc.

Also...for efficient clutch operation/life, a clutch disc and pressure plate are replaced together and the flywheel is machine-surfaced. Just replacing a clutch disc is doing 1/3 of a job. Under the same driving conditions, just replacing the disc will not provide the same level of "grip" or clutch life that the OEM did. All the associated surfaces must be returned to "like new."

21. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Thanks for the input Mike. I had already planned to have the flywheel and PP de-glazed and was wondering more whether my very good condition B&B pressure plate is better than a new AP? Cost difference is minimal.

My local clutch shop offers a stage 2 disk with segmented kevlar facing the pressure plate side and organic on the flywheel side. That might be a nice compromise as I might do the occasional track day in the UK. They will check the PP clamping force. Does anyone know the standard force (the manual only gives pedal force?)

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    quick search and I found this "The diaphragm requires ~52lbs to release. The pedal effort is ~35lbs." (thanks Scott)

23. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    One US supplier warned me off the European kevlar disks saying they have a high failure rate. Has anyone had this experience or is it just sour grapes as the prices are half.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I always considered them as a fix for which there was no problem. I have never installed one but I have removed a few for people who were dissatisfied. When I rebuilt my engine and did all the modifications and the 3.5 liter bore and stroke job I put the old half worn clutch of unknown history back in. I expect it to be there after I am too old to drive so saw no reason to replace it.

Because of the friction coefficient F1 cars really don't like them.

Deglazed? Your pressure plate and flywheel need to be flat, screw deglazing.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #25 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Reading this makes me wonder if that GTBi I drove and liked really had Kevlar.

I was just told that but it didn't grab hard and abruptly like they apparently do. Maybe it was just a sales pitch to me since I was looking to buy the car.