New coffee table | FerrariChat

New coffee table

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Zambelli, Mar 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Image Unavailable, Please Login A while back, I posted a picture of the coffee table I made from a Lycoming O-235 engine.
    After using it a few times, I decided that it wasn't practical so I redesigned it, making it two-tiered.
    I used the original glass top on the upper tier and had a new larger one made for the lower tier.
    I used the spinner from business jet engine (Garret, I believe).
    Came out quite well.

Bob Z.

Bendrover and wax like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Looks great. Would love to have one made from a LeRhone rotary, but too expensive.

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    This is so cool. Very nice!
    I was just talking with a coworker about the T-38 slab I have that's getting shipped to me for the same purpose!

4. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    How did you acquire that? Will make a cool table.

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    A guy in Texas apparently bought some crashed T-38 parts and sold me the slab. It looks crap but will buff out fine as it's straight.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Nice!

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Whats the slab?

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    #9 Hannibal308, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    On high performance aircraft, the horizontal stabilizer and elevator are combined into one large movable surface called, among other things, a stabilator or slab. On the T-38 it is called a slab. (I flew this very jet several times back in 2000.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bisonte likes this.
  10. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Cool! Thank you for the info as well. I always thought the T-38 was one of the best looking planes ever made. I see NASAs on a regular basis. Always cool knowing there is an astronaut in em.

donv and Hannibal308 like this.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the B-17 was over and the visiting airplanes were leaving, I went up to an Airforce Academy T-28 ready to taxi out to thank them and I asked the cadet who was piloting it with an instructor how he liked the T-28. Answer. " This SOB will kill you!"

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    That's funny. I heard that a lot and had seen it written long before I ever jumped in a T-38, but the truth, in my mind anyway, is that the Talon is the easiest plane I ever flew. It's set up just right with respect to cockpit layout, smooth as butter on the controls, does everything the exact same way time after time. I just really had a great relationship with it. I remember somewhere near the end of pilot training, doing some solo hop where the weather sucked so I had to stay in the pattern and do touch n goes for an hour...after I was done flying, I had just returned to our ready room and was talking with some other studs when one of the older IPs from our Stan Eval section came in and called my name. I knew who he was of course, but I never met him and he sure as hell never knew me, but it turns out he was out in the Runway Surveillance Unit at approach end of the runway supervising the pattern controller and had been watching my landings for my whole flight. He looked at me and said "Dude! I just needed to see who you were and make sure you weren't a robot. I swear you landed 12 times in a row in the exact same spot in the perfect attitude...within about 5 feet...every time. We were joking that therewere two big rubber marks forming on tbe runway where your mains hit every single time. Unreal. Great job!" Then he just walked out. That was one one of the greatest moments in UPT for me. It was the Talon though, that made it easy.