New daily driver | FerrariChat

New daily driver

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by SVanDyck, Sep 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    Well if you saw my other thread, days after getting my 458, I decided to redo the PPF. I was unlucky and a little paint pulled up on the hood.

I haven’t even had time to get my car to the Ferrari paint shop. Then it may sit for a while for the paint to fully cure.

I decided I really needed to upgrade my daily driver. Just as I was thinking about it, my Porsche salesperson calls me, “Porsche sent us an additional 992 that wasn’t an allocation car. Do you want it”.

It’s a 4s. The inside has red extended leather everywhere: dash, doors, seat backs, everything. The 4s drives pretty good in the rain too.

My last Porsche was a GT4. Compared to that abs my 458, this almost feels like a luxury sports car. I think it makes a pretty good daily.

I needed something. Once I paint the hood on my 458, I might wait 2 months for the paint to cure so I can put PPF on the front.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shorn355, italiafan and tomc like this.
  2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Congrats. I agree the 992 is a bit more luxe for a 911, but if it’s anything like the 991 I was in it will be a great daily driver. I’m also a fan of red interiors, done right.

I’m an air-cooled enthusiast, but if I were still driving to/from work I can see how a 992 would be less high strung and more comfortable.

Plus… 992 inventory is still low or nonexistent, so glad you had the opportunity to get a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    i owned a 991.2. The 992 is better. I liked the size of the 991 more. The 992 looks big. Power delivery is much improved in the 992. I agree the 991.2 was a great daily, but the power delivery was weird until you learned how to work with it. The 992 just makes good power everywhere.

The tech in the 992 seems a little much, but for once in my life I let the salesperson explain it all at delivery. I have to say the tech is great, but having that much tech just makes it feel like a daily driver to me.

I watched lots of reviews when this car came out. Now that I have one, I think the reviewers talk about the silliest things:
    Like:

Some of the guages being blocked by the wheel. That’s obviously just a retro nod to the aircooled cars. Plus there are many different data displays you can use in the car that do not do that.

Braun shaver shift lever: the big draw back here is that you cannot knock it to the left without looking to go into manual mode. You have to use a button for manual mode. Not an issue for me because in a daily driver, an 8 speed PDK does a fine job of selecting gears. Now in my 458, different story, I only drive that in manual mode.

So anyway, I feel like the 2 biggest things that the YouTubers lost their minds over are a non-issue to me. To me the biggest turn off was the increased size, but surprisingly it supposedly weighs less than the outgoing 991.2. It definitely makes a better daily driver and also out performs that car. The tech is class leading. This car also has the nose lift with GPS memory. The interior fit and finish is great if you option extended leather on dash, doors, seat backs. This car stickered at 162. Seems high since my last 991.2 S was 130 back in 2018. Plus I had to pay a small ADM. I really did not like any of that, but let’s he real: I jumped in front of people that have been waiting a year or longer. Most of the used 2022s were around 160. Even 991.2s we’re still at their original sticket of 130. Do I think these cars are worth that? Not really, but that is because I have bought many Porsches over the years. These cars have increased in price dramatically in the last 5 years. Anyway, this is the market right now. I tried to be sensible and buy a c8 for my daily driver, but I just could not do it! I still cannot understand why that car is so ugly. It’s like they made it ugly on purpose.

donv likes this.
  4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Actually… the PDK-equipped Porsches I’ve driven have been phenomenal. There’s engagement and nostalgia in the three-pedal manual, but there’s zero chance I could have kept up with myself in a PDK-equipped car. It’s both the fastest and most convenient. It makes the daily driver moniker anachronistic.

Ferrari absolutely had to move to dual clutch.

And … I like Braun shavers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nice! I'm actually thinking of ordering a 992 Carrera 4S (although mine will be a manual, if I go forward).

6. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    Just curious, how much over sticker have they asked for?

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Still working on it, so not sure. I've known the salesman for 20+ years, though.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I spoke with my Porsche salesman friend, and he said 3-4 year wait for any 911, and 4-5 years (minimum) for a Turbo. No mention of additional dealer markup, which may be because that's how his dealership operates or may be because he knows I won't pay it...

He said it's funny, Porsche wants to make Taycans and Macans, and yet all the demand is for the sports cars.

My son was trying to order a Ford Ranger today, and the dealer told him Ford won't even accept an order for one with adaptive cruise, so it's not just Porsche with issues.

9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Beautiful! I had my 996 C4S for many years and many miles- some snowy ones- before trading for my GT3 Touring- I loved the C4S and would buy a new one in a heartbeat- You will love it and a perfect DD- Congratulations :cool::cool: