New Direction for Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Direction for Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Coincid, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    As a DD, the Lexus is worlds better than the Ghibli. Reliability, features, comfort, value, etc. when sitting in traffic, steering like a sports car is meaningless. If you want fun, drive the Ferrari on the days off. Most folks here (ie petrolheads) would choose the Lexus over the Ghibli as a DD.
    Different horse for different courses.

2. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/radical

3. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I’m pretty much aware of Ferrari’s history. However being traditional doesn’t change the fact that there is a reason why they tried to differentiate the two V12s more from each other in recent years. Two much too similar concepts.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I never heard of anybody saying that the 612 and 599 were too close in execution before, so that's a new one to me. I don't agree with that at all. I'm one of the rare Ferrari guys who would rather have a 2+2 V12 than a two seater. The 456, 456M, 550, and 575M were all on the same chassis, but I have always had zero interest in the two seaters. The 456M was it for me, so that was my first Ferrari. Loved it, even with the automatic. Those back seats may be too small for adults, but a guitar and a spare tire kit fit just fine.

5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I agree with this sentiment. But I think the big question is how much will the SUV retail for? If they are going to compete with Porsche, and come in at $100k, then brand dilution will occur. But if they are getting $450k, than I think that you wont see nearly as many FSUV's as Porsches or Maseratis.

6. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is one of the things I wonder about most: Where will Ferrari price the FUV? Indications that it will have a hybrid V8 but no V12 option makes me think it could be in the neighborhood of the Lusso T, which is circa $300K base. But I think Ferrari will want to give it broader appeal than that, so perhaps somewhere around where the Portofino is priced, which starts at $215K.

I seriously doubt it will be below the Portofino.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The car buying world is changing, if us traditional enthusiasts like it or not!

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    If they are appealing to the masses, then it will be lower cost. $150k would bring in allot of soccer moms.

9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is a good point, and one I have entertained, and it probably makes some objective sense. You may very well end up being right. I just don't want them to go too low.

$150K would be awesome for a Dino 396 V6 with a manual option, though. :)

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    But doesn't Ferrari sell more than they make now?

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    What would it cos
    New direction? Outsource building?

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    They'll build them under a tent, like Tesla's Model 3 ;)

timjen88 and Innovativethinker like this.
  13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Oh man...as much as the FUV doesnt bother me, if its that cheap we will start seeing a Ferrari emblem daily which actually does dilute the brand in my opinion.

Id rather see it priced $250k base

HotShoe likes this.
  14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't know may I am missing the picture here. I see SUVs as a grocery getters and we have a Cayenne for the wife to do that sort of stuff. I never pictured a Ferrari as a grocery getter. I never aspired to owning a Ferrari so I could park it in the supermarket/maul parking lot and collect door dings. Hmmm maybe I need to adjust my thinking of what the Ferrari brand stands for, maybe now grocery getting is the new image they are working on for the future? I own several Porsches and generally like the cars and brand but exotic is not a word I would generally use to describe all but a very few Porsches.

nicholasn and sixcarbs like this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    SUV = PROFIT $$$$ Hottest selling auto segment

timjen88 likes this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't recall the Lusso base price (NOT the Lusso-T) however I don't see how in any way the FUV would be priced lower than the outgoing Lusso. No way. It will be priced higher.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Never say never....

never.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't care if they build one as long as it's the best and most beautiful in the world. Anything less is just slapping on their logo.

timjen88 likes this.
  19. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The other day I was having a chat with my Mum who is 82. I told her that I may get the new SUV when it comes out. She said "Is Ferrari making an SUV?". I said "yes". She said "that is the end of Ferrari as it is now." She did not like the idea at all.

sixcarbs likes this.
  20. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    SUVs may sell like hot cakes because the masses buy them. But the masses do not buy Ferraris and never have.

I feel dirty when I think about the prospect of them building an SUV. It's like my dreams are now working a street corner wearing cheap pantyhose and Walmart lipstick.
    They could do literally anything else to make money besides an SUV. Don't give me the whole spiel that they can use the proceeds to make better cars- they can do that already.

If we have to buy more of their brand merchandise to stop this from happening, sign me up. If we have to make another Ferrari World, I wont like it but okay.

If Ferrari makes an SUV part of me will die inside. No one here should think this is a good idea, money or no money. This is an enthusiast forum after all.

HotShoe, nicholasn, JohnTz and 3 others like this.
  21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    If they feel they MUST try it. I feel it may be cool if they keep it sleek like a car and with only two doors. I very much love the Giugiaro Parcour. It is possible to do something cool.

I feel the originality is the most critically essential part, then aesthetics, then quality.

https://youtu.be/tx6T9

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wonder how many Ferrari enthusiasts thought, when the 250 GT/E came out, that it was all over for Ferrari because they made a regular production four seater.

23. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    The 250 GT/E is still today a truely beautiful design. We are now in a new era and you cannot compare the art form of the 250 GT with an SUV. The SUV will take away the exclusiveness of the Ferrari ownership experience no matter how good it is. I understand that the SUV comes about as an evolution of the company as the tastes and demands of society change. We are moving into the full electric Ferrari in the not too distant future. The next generations of Ferrari as models are updated will be an ICE motor with a battery and then battery power only, we may not like it but it will happen by 2030.

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

That is not an SUV, it is a bloated sports-rally car.
    The SUV that Ferrari would be 4 full seats, and luggage.
    Combine that with electric cars..and...well.....I can hear Taps playing off in the distance.

25. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    To me today's SUV's are the staion wagon of today. They have nothing to do with sport or going off road.

The same people who are buying SUV's today would have been buying station wagon's in the 60's and 70's. Guess what? Station wagons aren't cool. I doubt many of you got excited when someone pulled up in a station wagon when you were a kid. But somehow people have collectively convinced themselves that today's SUV's are different, that they are cool because they are luxurious, go fast, and stop well. But they are not, the way they are used they are still just a glorified station wagon.