New Ferrari design exhibition - in house vs. outside design | FerrariChat

New Ferrari design exhibition - in house vs. outside design

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bberg009, Nov 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is the next Ferrari SUV going to be a Maserati Levantine derivative, based on Alpha Romeo's platform

1. Maserati based

16.7%
  2. Alfa Romeo based

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pinifarina designed

16.7%
  4. Stay with Ferrari' Manzonis in-house team

66.7%
  1. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    The new "Ferrari under the skin" exhibition at the Design Museum in London just opened by Ferrari's inside design leader, Flavio Manzoni. Currently, he is the guys overseeing Ferrari's team of 80 in-house car designers. Under his management, Ferrari did the LaFerrari, the 488 and now the FXXK
    Evo.

He became "famous" when he stated that "Every time we work on a new Ferrari, we try to improve on every aspect — including the center of gravity — so an SUV is not a Ferrari," a while back.

So, is he on a collision course with Sergio Marchinne, who wants to build an SUV, or is it going to be an outside job by Maserati, Alfa Romeo, or pinifarmina?

When asked by the Autoblog, he answered cryptically "I cannot answer, but one thing is clear: Ferrari is not a follower. There have been so many declarations from Sergio Marchionne and others. I cannot add anything more to what they have already said, but Ferrari won't follow a trend."..

So, whatdatya think. Is the next Ferrari SUV going to be a Maserati Levantine derivative, based on Alpha Romeo's platform, a Pinifarini job, or stay with Flavio Manzoni's team?

anunakki likes this.
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think the 'SUV' is going to be more like an evolution of the GTC4 Lusso. It will be proportioned more like a small Crossover

stavura likes this.
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's the way the hints are leaning. I remember the, "it will be something unique like the Lusso" comment, so I'd bet on that kind of design language with a bit more ground clearance, but still very low for an SUV, which may be why they're calling it the FUV. Not an SUV in the traditional sense, but an SUV compared to the rest of the Ferrari line.

There was also that intriguing bit about the rear doors being in, "a clever hidden arrangement." I'm betting on a suicide door layout for the rears.

stavura, bberg009 and anunakki like this.
  4. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    G. Pepper likes this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I think the silver one is closest to what we may see, but there definitely will not be rear door handles. I'm betting you'll have to open the fronts before you can open the rears kind of like... an extra cab pickup truck. :)

anunakki likes this.
  6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Agree the Silver one is the only one with a proper stance. Whatever it is I guarantee its aggressive looking.

stavura, bberg009 and G. Pepper like this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Those all look terrible... just sayin...

Robb

Formula Uno likes this.
  8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    If they are smart they will base it on the Porsche Cayenne pretty great suv and sells good

Robb likes this.
  9. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    I sort of liked the red Ferrari SUB (first one). Looks like a hybrid between 488/458 and the Porsche SUV.. and unlike the others, it had 4 doors...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    He might have been in the management but the LaF was an open design competition with the winning design outside of Ferrari. Just sayin.

I think Ferrari will constrain his group to a fixed form due to cost and his group will try their best. The results will inevitably look like a watered down F12 as did elements of the Lusso, Portofino, 488 and the last California. Of course the F12 TDF was just a few flaps and gills away. Needs to pick something truly in-house and stop ripping off PF designs for the standard fleet. The 812 is a fail for his team when compared to its PF predecessor.

G. Pepper likes this.