New Furnace - What is Reasonable? | FerrariChat

New Furnace - What is Reasonable?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Shorn355, Jan 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ok - I am fairly smart about some things and ignorant as heck about others. Plumbing and heating fall into the "others" category :) So - Given the wide scope of knowledge, experience and expertise on here I thought I would throw this out and see what responses I get back - Not the most thrilling of threads so appreciate anyone taking the time to respond :)

I live in a small townhouse - approximately 750 square feet. Was built in the 80s and I have lived here since 1999 - for the most part everything works and what has broken/failed over the years I have replaced. I use one company for all my heating, electrical and plumbing work that I cannot do myself. They are extremely well-known with a great reputation and I trust them implicitly - they never let me down and the work is of the highest quality - technicians are always on time - always have the equipment/parts on the truck etc. That said, they are pretty expensive which I am generally ok with - I am of the "you get what you pay for" mindset - whether it comes to cars, car maintenance/repair, watches/repair etc.

So I just had them out because my pilot light has been going out more frequently than it should and it has been a while since I had a furnace "tune up" - Turns out the Thermocoupler was sketchy so had it replaced - all good. The question I am throwing out there is I had them quote me a price for a new furnace just figuring the original may crap out altogether at some point - the quoted price was OVER $10K!!!! Now this is fully installed, 10-year warranty on all components - cool new electronic ignition and auto-pilot re-start etc. But MY GOSH $10K+ seems like a lot for a furnace to heat a small place.

Am I off-base or is this reasonable for a high-end furnace installed by a high-end company?

Again - Any thoughts/input is appreciated - Many thanks - Cheers :)

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Does your current furnace still work well? I have a furnace that is about 30 years old, it's an H.B. Smith and was thinking of replacing it and in talking to the tech that services it he said there is no reason to. I have it checked out once a year and while going through a cold snap like we have been it keeps on going. I have found that in general the newer stuff just isn't as good unfortunately.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That is probably the going rate. Equipment and install prices are crazy lately. We just swapped out two small systems at our house. Standard pricing was around $28k. My Son in law hooked us up with a good installer and we got the equipment at his cost, so we escaped at $13k all together, but because the installer did not charge full boat we are left with the fine tuning to figure out ourselves.

4. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We spent ~$47k on three full top of the line HVAC systems with rip out of all bits from the vent in the room back to the compressor. That was about 12 years ago.

Your price quote is high, but maybe not for the current price pressures from supply chain issues and related pressures. It’s shocking, but all too normal these days.

Good luck and best wishes to you and yours!

Cheers!

“I see a line of Supercars and they’re all painted red… Visions of Prancing Horses dance in my head. I hear the screaming thunder of the four-point-five… A 9,000 redline makes you feel alive.”

Shorn355 likes this.
  5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I am in the business - not a crazy price at all depending on what it is.

6. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    680 Sq Ft three-level townhome (Loft bedroom/bathroon // living/dining room/kitchen // Laundry room/garage) - No AC - no/minimal duct work - Thoughts?

Many thanks :)

7. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I should note for clarification that our systems were all installed with a mix of custom site built straight/rigid hard pipe (~50%) and the balance in ultra insulated flex pipe. The compressor units were 21 SEER IIRC and the gas furnaces were the most efficient available at the time.

The price included custom built plenums, full balancing of airflow and temperature in (three zones) all individual rooms. Compressors feature low amp startup and 13 speed fans in the attic units.

Also, all new copper (US manufactured) piping and triple redundancy on overflow drains for each unit. There are also dual air intakes in the car park and triple in the main house.

Electronic air supply cutoffs for selected rooms and a electronically controllable fresh air inlet vent. Lots more but you get the idea. The design engineer got a few grey hairs when he drew it all up…

Cheers!

8. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    What kind of equipment are they using and what are the specs?

@Rexcat458 went all out! The fresh air inlets and other controls are very nice!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I will eventually get a more detailed quote - I know the company I use is high-priced due to massively long and inclusive warranties and using top-notch equipment so expect them to be more expensive than some competitors - but for my little, simply townhouse and essentially a "drop in and connect" installation $10K seemed crazy - I appreciate the responses and will update with more detail - Many thanks to all who took the time to respond - I sincerely appreciate it :)