New Guy - Moving to Italy - Want to Buy First Ferrari - Thoughts? | FerrariChat

New Guy - Moving to Italy - Want to Buy First Ferrari - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bulletpruf, Dec 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    All -

I'm active duty military. Currently in Seoul, Republic of Korea. Headed to Naples in a few months.

Have always been a car guy (mostly American muscle), but have never had a Ferrari. Figure this is the perfect time to purchase one. My budget is $30k; could potentially go a bit higher, but think the wife won't get her panties in a bunch at $30k.

I am very well-equipped with tools and can something as complex as an engine or transmission rebuild. I am worried about the cost and availability of parts, however. I'm also a large guy - 6'4" and 230 lbs; hopefully I can fit in the cars below.

I've been perusing the classifieds at mobile.de ? Gebrauchtwagen und neue Autos ? Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt. and here's what I'm seeing -

1981-1993 Mondial 8/QV/3.2/T - starting price for these in Europe seems to be about $20k. 214 - 300 hp. About 3,000 lbs. Just not a very good-looking car, in my opinion. Really can't see myself in one of these.

1975-1985 308/208 - starting price is in the low 30's, so these are almost out of reach. 2,400-2,850 lbs. 215-255 hp. Gorgeous cars. Might be able to step up a bit on the price if it's something that I bring back to the U.S. after a 2 or 3 year tour in Italy.

1989-1995 348 – start off at $30k or so. 3.4 liter V-8. 300 hp. 3050 lbs. Nice looking cars at a reasonable price.

I'll probably end up with a beater of some sort to drive to work. Ferrari would just be a weekend car.

Other option would be the 456 -- 1992-2003. 5.5 liter V-12. About 4,100 lbs. 436 hp. Start off at $30k. Sure would be nice to own a V-12 Ferrari. It's really not in the same category as the others, but still an option.

Anyway, curious to hear what y'all would do if you were in my shoes.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

2. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm a wee bit bigger than you, and fit comfortably in my 456GT.

It's a bit snug, but manageable.

That wasn't the case with a 308: way too tight.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm not sure you can find something for $30k

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "...I'll probably end up with a beater of some sort to drive to work. Ferrari would just be a weekend car...."

What you don't want to hear: spend the FCar money on lots of European travel instead.
    The car can certainly come later, experiences may not be available later?

Easy for me to say; I have my FCars; but wish I had traveled more extensively in Europe when I had the chance....

5. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's good news on the 456 GT.

Not so good news on the 308. Did your head hit the roof? Legs not fit under the dash?

Thanks

Scott

6. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Finding a 208 or 308 for that price might be a bit tough, but Mondials and 456s are in range. The 348 might take a bit of looking around, but think it's an option, as well.

Thanks

7. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm not going to tie all my $$$ up in a car and not have any discretionary income. We've done a lot of traveling in Asia and that won't change when we get to Europe.

Thanks

8. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Scott, something you need to consider is maintenance. I know you said you are able to do a lot of work on a car, but parts can be very expensive. Also some work may require engine out and that may mean tools/equipment you don't have.

If you get close to settling on a model, I suggest you go to that forum and do some searches on maintenance issues. Just be sure you know what you are getting into.

And good luck!

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hi scott.
    first, arrive on station and check out your circumstances. you will be in naples, perhaps the least law abiding major city in europe and that has its consequences. will you have a garage?

secondly, with the guardia di finanza going nazi on everybody, exotic car prices have plummeted. so you are likely to find a car readily available in country - which is also a lot easier to deal with bureaucratically, and also cheaper.

third, you will not fit easily into a 308/328. you might manage a 348. the 456 will be fine.

11. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, Paul. Good points.

Scott

12. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, I heard about the traffic, mafia, etc, in Naples. I will certainly have a garage; very likley in a gated community. Last time I had a very nice car without a garage (66 Corvette convertible) was in New Orleans, 1995. Someone kindly "took it off my hands" one evening. Never recovered.

I heard the Italian economy was in the sh*tter. Bodes well for prices on toys. Apparently many cars are sold via word of mouth, so I'll have to put the word out in the exotic car community once I arrive.

I may see if I can find a 308/328 or 348 owner in Seoul that would be willing to let me sit in his (or her?) car to see if I will fit.

Thanks,

Scott

13. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You might want to check on the taxes and registration costs for the car. I think in Italy you pay yearly taxes based on vehicle specs (not sure if that's still the case).

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you do and it is a formula based on the car's engine cap and hp.
    but, scott may be exempt if he is running this on AF plates.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ross,

Exotics prices may have plummeted, but this is certainly not true for "classics" anymore, their price has catched-up with the rest of Europe; ask Alberto, who lives in Modena, and is very active in the 308/328 section (and owns SIX 3x8s, all bought in the last few months, so he knows).

Nice 328s in Italy are "about 65/70 k EUROS" now (exceptional cars are 85/90).
    Nice carbed 308s are 45/50 k EUROS
    (Glass 308s are 100 k EUROS minimum)

3x8 are now entering a different world, these are certainly not "entry Ferraris" any more (a very good 328 costs now the same as a second-hand 430...)

Rgds

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No its steel and you might be tight on fit - most models have threads discussing weight/size/fit

As others have noted you are right at the edge of non-affordability so be very careful - spend some time looking at old threads covering each model and their quirks too

Enjoy the posting and make sure you tour round as much as you can

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nerofer, good point. so for scott's budget he can access a 456, which will fit his frame beter anyway, get him points with the wife for sensible and comfortable, and be able to accommodate his kids, so everybody wins !

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Some large guys are able to fit in 3x8, this depending on how you sit, but my guess is that it would be way too tight for you.
    I'm 6'1 (1,84m) and 160 lbs (= 73 kgs) and:
    - I do fit rather easily in my 328 GTB, but my hair touches the roof liner; as I'm sitting rather more erect, I guess that 6'2 would barely fit, but 6'4: no way.
    - I do not fit easily in my 328 GTS with the top on; the Saratoga top gives me about half an inch of additional clearance, which is helpful. But at 6'4 you will never fit with the top on, and with the top off you would be looking through the tinted band at the winshield top, which is not very good.
    Remember also that the cockpit of these cars is small.

You would fit better into cars from the following generation: 348, 355, 456, etc...

Rgds

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Or a 348, a car for which prices have yet to start catching up, but the corollary is that, due to the higher cost of the belt change and all maintenance compared to 328s, a lot of 348s have had "deferred maintenance" issues, and may still have issues, so you have to be very, very careful in choosing the right one, with a clear maintenance history. As we all know, a Ferrari with deferred maintenance issues might bite you quite hard...

Rgds

20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Whatever you decide to buy Scott, enjoy it, to be on the Amalfi coastline with a Ferrari is the stuff of most peoples dreams.

However, in Naples, be extremely careful, the 'mafia' spoken of there are Camorra clans, and they aren't as friendly and nice as the Sicilian mafia, who in turn, make the US branch look positively placid. A garage is essential, but while out driving you have a few risks over there as you drive through some of the darker and poorer areas on the way to the nicer parts of the city. take your 9mm everywhere with you just in case of emergency.

21. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, I should be exempt from yearly taxes as an active duty U.S. service member.

Thanks,

Scott

22. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, I was browsing one of the Italian sites for used Ferraris and this appears to be the case -- 348's are fairly reasonable, but the 308's are much more expensive.

23. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, Jimmie. I'll check out the threads in the model specific forums.

Scott

24. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've ridden in a car before where my head touched the headliner. Absolutely cannot stand it. Appreciate the first hand experience; perhaps I need to focus more on the 348. 456 looks nice as well, but this is a completely different breed of car than the 328, so it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

thanks

25. bulletpruf

bulletpruf Karting

Dec 17, 2014
    Naples, Italy
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, the 456 is an option. If I go down this road, would also look at the A-M DB7 V-12 and the 2005-2010 M5/M6. M5/M6 probably a bit more practical, but DB7 and 456 are more appealing to me.

Thanks

Scott