New McLaren 720s Owner! | FerrariChat

New McLaren 720s Owner!

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by James R, Jan 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
  2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M

You big chicken!!! Should have taken it for a spin. Congrats.

3. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Oh I’m definitely taking it out today! It’s cold but who cares! Can’t wait to see that paint under the sun!!

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    i am looking out my office window jealous!!!

5. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd love to hear your eventual thoughts on it vs. the 488... I have a 458 now and I'm thinking about the 720s either as a replacement or in addition to...

6. Stuart Shulman

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stu S.
    I had a 720 and a 488 Spider. I always seemed to gravitate to the 720. It is now gone and I'm awaiting the arrival of my 765LT.

The Ferrari came out when the sun was out, but when I really wanted to enjoy driving, it was always the Mac.

slm likes this.
  7. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    I first have to say I totally love the 488 spider and it will remain with me for a long time. It just has a classic ride and a definite gawker effect when I drive it around town. It has Ferrari performance and gives you a real adrenalin rush with 660HP. But... the 720s Spider is more like a race car. The car seems more responsive and with 710HP, it seems to get up and go a little faster. I drove a 2020 F8 Tributo in Dallas that had 710HP but I was with the dealer and did not "really" drive it.. :). As far as comfort goes, they both are fantastic but the McLaren seems to envelope you a little more in the cabin. Gives you more of a "cockpit" feel. The visibility seems to be better in the 720 as well with those glass buttresses in the back. I have to say the sound of the Ferrari is more stout, but when you get the RPMs up on the 720, it sounds like a screaming Banshee. Very aggressive sound with a higher pitch. Agreeing with Stuart above, the 720 is my go to for now, but I'm thinking that is because it is only a week and a half old right now and it's getting most of my attention.

cavsct94 and slm like this.
  8. Stuart Shulman

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stu S.
    They are coming to pickup the 488 today. I sold it to a dealer. Not sure why and second guessing my decision. They gave me a fair price.

I drove the F8 spider and I have to say, it is not that much different. I was sort of underwhelmed. There was a slight difference in low end torque.

My 765LT arrives any day and that will be a game changer. Enjoy your new 720! I hope you have better reliability than I did with my 720 launch edition car.

9. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have had a 488 and now have a 72 spider and fully agree with James' and Stuart's assessment.