New McLaren GT | FerrariChat

New McLaren GT

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by aaronrgonz, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    McLaren posted this teaser for their new GT and say that:

"It’s a car that has been designed for distance and one that will also provide the comfort and space expected of a Grand Tourer, but with a level of agility never experienced before in this segment."

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    But will it have a tt V8 and a CF tub? :)

3. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Heard it will be similar price as the 570, more HP, and more cargo room, I heard for golf clubs ???????

Didn't even know this was in the works.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well the car is revealed. I love the rear. I like the side profile a lot. The front is pretty boring. It uses the same engine as the 720S just detuned 100 hp. Mclaren claims 0-200 kph in 9 seconds so figure on mid 8’s in reality.

Also, is it just me or does that car look a lot like what I imagine the mid engine vette will?

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Yes!

The rear is cool but the rest is boring. Not ugly but very generic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aaronrgonz likes this.
  6. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    I think they did a fantastic job - although it may be a marketing ploy it sure does look sharp.

7. aaronrgonz

aaronrgonz Karting
    Miami 2018

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron Gonzales
    Some more pics:

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its really nice but i dont get the pricing. at 200k isnt it too close to pricing on 570gt? i wouldve put this at 720 price point

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    570GT is discontinued. This is now the GT variant of Mclaren. The performance doesn’t merit 720S pricing.

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yes... Same here. Thought these were pics of the vette! In my opinion not good for either. Both don’t look good.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  11. jackdarton

jackdarton Rookie

May 19, 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm new on the forum, but I wanted to share some adjustments I made to the design of the GT. There are some parts I don't personally like, and I'll explain my reasons.

1: The main shape of the car. For me, any good design "flows" when you look at it. The longer you look, the more you fall into it, and the fewer mental hurdles you run into while tracing your eyes over the car. I went for a smoother, more "Alive" shape, one with curves and without too much clutter. The car should look muscular, aggressive, and gorgeous. The GT as it has been revealed has a somewhat exciting silhouette in my opinion, but the other details contradict that silhouette in such a way that you have smooth, flowing lines running into hard, sharp edges.

2: The wheels to me were very generic. I wanted something a little more exciting, something a bit more McLaren. Even just removing the smaller extra spokes on the wheels saves weight, and gives it a more dynamic feel.

3: The headlights are the eyes of a car, and the eyes of any car should immediately tell you which family it belongs to. For me, they didn't with the GT. I went for a more sweeping McLaren swoosh to allow people to immediately recognise it at a glance.

4: Wing mirrors are gone. I wasn't too keen on the bulky shape of them, and they were too reminiscent of the 12C. Not a bad thing, but dated in my opinion. The McLaren logo just above the front wheel has replaced the mirrors as a panel that slides out, containing a camera on both sides.

5: The design language in general. This was the biggest thing for me. I understand fully that a Grand Tourer should look a certain way, but that should never be a priority over brand identity. It should be immediately recognisable as a McLaren, which is a Grand Tourer. Not a Grand Tourer with a McLaren badge.

My aim with this wasn't to design a full car from scratch. it's something I've only been working on for two days. The aim was to visualise the changes I would have liked to have seen in the design process of the GT, and to give an indication of the things that don't sit right with me. there are a lot of changes that haven't been mentioned above in detail, but they all fall under one of the 5 main points.

The aim was to declutter the design, give it an encompassing design language without any contradictions, and to stick to biomimicry. If anybody has any questions about the design, or criticism, please don't be shy about it.

Thank you for taking a look! I'll be around to answer any Q's if you have them. Link to the high resolution image here: https://i.imgur.com/mw4YF9L.jpg

Jack
    View attachment 2640004

12. Neil

Neil Rookie

Jan 24, 2006
    I saw it on Sunday. I like it.t

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Jack:

Are you the actual McLaren designer of this car? What others have you done?

14. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I think this will look way nicer in the flesh, honestly how many road trips has one taken in an exotic that you had to pack very carefully because of lack of space. This car is no slouch in performance either 0-60 in 3.2 is blinding quick & top speed is excellent plus it sounds very aggressive, don't forget the dihedral doors and add all that cargo space = winner to me.

I think this will be on a lot of ppl's radar, the interior is very posh it's all Mclaren no Fiat or Audi bits in there :cool: