New Mira Slovak book coming: | FerrariChat

New Mira Slovak book coming:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Apr 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Mira Slovak was one of the most amazing men you'd ever want to meet. (And I'm sorry that I never got to.) Escapee from Communist Czechoslovakia, airline pilot, personal pilot to Bill Boeing, unlimited hydroplane racer, air racer (and first official winner of the Reno unlimited class) and aerobatic show pilot!

A new book about him, A Race to Freedom, written by David Williams (curator of the Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum in Seattle) will be out on May 28th. This will be one case of nonfiction truly reading like fiction!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1625450664/

2. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Cool! Thanks!

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #3 Bob Parks, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    I was in several airshows with Slovak and I mentioned the the incident of one them in my book where he toyed with another egomaniacal aerobatic performer who tried to out-do Slovak by trying to do 5 snap rolls at 100 ft. altitude in a modified Great Lakes. He survived the crash but the airplane didn't. I saw Slovak land the P-39 racer, "Mr. Mennon" on the ramp at Reno one year that got him in trouble. He was flat out wild when he was competing. He was also a friend of my airline pilot buddy and I got to chat with Slovak once or twice. I saw him crash the race boat, "Wahoo" on Lake Washington that busted his face up pretty bad. Ernie Gann bought Slovak's Bucker biplane and did aero stuff in it. Behind the cockpit, Slovak had a logo, " The Poor Refugee" painted on it. Ernie had a sign painter paint a line through it and had, "RICH REFUGEE" painted above it.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Had another incident pop up. I flew to the Stock Plane Races in Bakersfield sometime around 1965 and spent some time at the airport to help with a friend's airplane the day before the races. I met a cute little blonde who had been sort of hanging around. When I approached her to ask if I could help with anything, I noticed that it was film actress, Susan Oliver. She wasn't mixing with anybody, just standing in the dark corner of the hangar chain smoking. She told me that she was okay and was waiting for her boyfriend. Mira Slovak arrived a short time later and off they went. A strikingly pretty girl with big blue eyes.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#5 Tcar, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Susan Oliver was a pilot, had a license.
    Flew her own Aero Commander 200 across the atlantic - NYC to Denmark. Only a couple other women had flown a single engine over the Atlantic.

Was rated in a LearJet, flew some charters.
    Won Powder Puff Derby in a Piper.
    Had a glider license also.

And was on 'Star Trek' several times.
    And Gorgeous. Read about her when I was a kid.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Bob, I figured that if anyone on this forum had a Mira Slovak story (or several), it would be you. Thank you for confirming that!

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim, I hope that I'm not coming across as a name dropper. I have never been known to sit around and watch other people so I got to see a few things and do a few things. The first time I saw Slovak was in the 50's when he landed at the Bellevue Airport (now gone) in a yellow Ryan ST. I have a photo that I took of him somewhere but at the time I was more interested in recording the airplane and realized later who he was. He was a fierce competitor to the point of recklessness and never seemed to consider his own well being or life. The "competition" with the late Jim Moss happened at Abottsford Airshow in 1967 when Slovak walked up to Moss's beautiful model girl friend and planted a long kiss on her. ..which she didn't seem to mind. That's when Moss tried to out do Slovak (who had just put on a great act with the Bucker that finished with a handkerchief pick up with the wing tip) and did the snap roll display in a borrowed Great Lakes that ended up in a ball. Slovak's hydroplane crash was the result of a wild attempt to get in a competitive position in the Gold Cup Race and it flipped in the North turn. He couldn't get the engine started when everybody else did and he was probably 1/2 a lap behind . We never saw a boat run faster in a race competition than his. He had his foot through the firewall and didn't let up enough in the turn, which was pretty rough, so the boat flipped and he was seriously hurt. He kept the place place hopping around here when he was active. I can see a passing parade of faces of guys and gals with whom we performed at Abottsford and elsewhere.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    How long did he keep flying airshows? I think that I might have seen him perform, but I cannot remember for sure.

And when did the Bellevue Airport close? I'm not sure whether it was still active when I first hit town in 1979.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I only saw Slovak fly at Abbotsford so I don't know what other air shows he performed in. I saw him race at Reno several times, though. Bellevue Airport closed in 1983. Now there is a large Boeing facility there. Good memories from the old airport.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The book is out now, and I can confirm that it's a great read, a classic case of "nonfiction that reads like fiction". David Williams is curator of the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum in Seattle, but he does a good job of balancing the hydroplane coverage with Slovak's aviation careers and his personal life. Based on the list in the back of the book, Williams interviewed Slovak a number of times and a lot of other people as well, and the book is well footnoted, so the research is good. Whether you knew about Mira Slovak or not, it is an entertaining book and highly recommended. It is also available in Kindle format for those who prefer it.

One of the reviewers on Amazon thinks that Mira Slovak might have been the inspiration for a well-known "most interesting man in the world" ad campaign. He certainly would have been a candidate for that title!