NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 160 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    NürScud likes this.
  4. hanspeterk.

hanspeterk. Rookie

Jan 26, 2013
    ... Fernando Pinto at work ...

franmort, NürScud, rei24 and 2 others like this.
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very good. His models are a gift to us all. I hope everyone discovers his work as it is some of the best in the business for accuracy. A true artists.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  7. scudetto1959

scudetto1959 Karting

May 4, 2012
    Half a year ago, Tom mentioned the upcoming 1/24 Carrera slotracer: 1969 Lola T70 Mk IIIB – here it is in the Sunoco/Penske livery of the 24 h Daytona winning car from Mark Donohue/Chuck Parsons.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Proportions and details look pretty good to me – the tampo-printed mesh on top of the front wings should sit a little bit further back and the stance is a little bit too low (compressed suspension on the Daytona banking, I suppose J) at least for a static model.

8. scudetto1959

scudetto1959 Karting

May 4, 2012
    The rims should be polished and not chromed, you will need 3 Goodyear decals to cover the “lookalikes” – is there a Champion sticker below the rear Goodyears in front of the rear tires? In the race, the Gurney flap is only used on the right side in the rear end (maybe for a little bit more downforce on the right rear wheels when on the high-speed banking?) Moreover, a plexi cover above the inlet trumpets could easily be made – or is it a fine mesh (I’m not sure when I look at racing pics of this one – does anyone know?

I think it will be possible to pirate the baseplate from one of the old Fujimi’s Mk II – see pics: wheelbase is almost exactly the same, tire size will fit also: why not make a curbside model of this Lola and vice versa: a slotracer with Mk II body/Interior ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    NürScud likes this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Hiro 1/43rd Bug T35 kits. The middle one is 1/20th wich really messes things up as the Type 35 ran as an open wheel and sportscar. I wish either 1/24th or 1/20th was the only scale in the mid range. 1/18th is for built ups I guess, but one constant mid range scale would be great. They don't have 1/38th, 1/43rd and 1/50th mainstream scales. I personally think 1/32nd scale would have been nice as a main mid range scale, but it's way to late for that, and I have zero 1/32nd models. 1/20th is annoying and I think it will be killed off by 1/18th in the long run as people stop building car models in 20 years along with all other car kit scales. Although Covid 19 has brought car model building back for the short term.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    1/20 seems to have become a major scale for kits of modern F1 cars - look at the selection from Fujimi, Hasegawa and Tamiya. The latter basically stopped 1/12 in favor of 1/20.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yep, and it's Tamiya's fault that we have a split in the scales because they could not fit batteries in the Tyrell P34 kit they were trying to make in the 1970's, so they made a bigger scale that would allow the batteries to fit. That info came from the lead engineer that worked at Tamiya at the time. He later started his own model company. Tamiya also made the first 1/18th kits. Tamiya don't even make 1/20th F1 kits much anymore. Tamiya also tried to start 1/48th armor kits. One annoying company when it comes to scales. Not to worry, the Chinese companies will drive them out of business before long.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now I guess we must add Ebbro as a maker of 1/20 kits of F1 cars. As for 1/48 armor, Bandai was a major player in that scale at one time, before they decided that there was more money to be made in sci-fi.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #3989 F1tommy, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Ebbro is the company the engineer started after leaving Tamiya, and he said he had to follow Tamiya into 1/20th at that point. Hasegawa, Wave and Fujimi both made many 1/24th F1 cars before they followed Tamiya into 1/20th . Everybody builds sportscars in 1/24th but alot of people won't touch a 1/20th scale F1 kit including me. One of the dumbest ideas to come out of Japan. It will get killed off by 1/18th after car model builders all retire. They make diecast 1/43rd, 1/24th and 1/18th mainly along with other scales, but not 1/20th diecast(other than Revell USA :).

By the way, we can see how well Bandai did. Tamiya makes very nice kits and they have a following that worship them sort of like Hiro, but their playing with scales leaves alot to be desired.

Lusso123 likes this.
  15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Boomhauer likes this.
  16. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I've enjoyed working in 1/20, specifically the Tamiya F1 kits. It's small like 1/24 so there can be a lot of detail but the slightly bigger scale makes it easier to work with and it results in a bigger presence on the shelf. Sometimes I feel like 1/24 is a little too finicky to get fine details right and the final size is a little underwhelming. 1/43 is so small everything is comes out fine.

I understand 1/20 is an orphan scale that ended up being a dead end.

amerikalei likes this.
  17. Graphic-mini

Graphic-mini Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    La Rochelle, France
    Full Name:
    Guillaume Phelipon
    I'm distributing SMP24 kit, i take generally 5 of each. I'm in France but i can send everywhere ;)

furmano, Lusso123 and F1tommy like this.
  18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    We talk about Tamiya starting 1/20 as a scale for F1 cars, but did they really? The Italian company Revival started selling kits of older Grand Prix cars as long ago as 1975, and as recently as ten years ago did a new series of kits of the 1964 Ferrari 158!

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, these are cool. 1/12 would be amazing but these cars are great in any scale.

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They may have helped but when they started they were not real kits, but pre painted diecasts partly assembled.

21. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    The variation of scale is annoying, but I've gotten used to the F1 1/20 scale. Frustrating that it does not compare properly with the sports car 1/24 models, but I like both scales, and always wind up with a better appreciation of the details after making one of their F1 kits. I shake my head every time I look at the size difference between that '65 Honda V-12 1.5L and the newer Red Bull kit by Tamiya. It hardly seems possible how large the F1 car footprint has become in recent years. They should switch to 1/24 just to make them look less colossal next to the older cars..!

I also recall MPC making McLaren Can-Am kits in 1/20 before the Tamiya F1 series.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That is true, I guess it just never got big until Tamiya started doing them. So MPC maybe gets the blame or maybe someone else. I have built a few 1/20th kits for customers in the past, but I have so many F1 kits now in 1/24th and 1/12th scales I don't really need to get into 1/20th thank god. Don't have enough time!!!

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    By the way, I have the 1/12th Hiro Alfa DTM 155 already and it is very nice. Funny looking beast with amazing technology. The kit looks accurate and complicated in a good way.

Hiro sent it yesterday from Tokyo and 24 hours later I have it in Chicago, during Christmas and Covid 19 no less. Impressive delivery time!!

furmano, amerikalei and gt4me like this.
  24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That's an incredible delivery time right now!

furmano likes this.
  25. hanspeterk.

hanspeterk. Rookie

Jan 26, 2013
    ... is there an address or a source where I can buy "Gdetailfactory" kits (1:24)?