NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 168 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410Sport

410Sport Rookie

Sep 3, 2012
    This is my first model thread post. I want to change the decals on a 1/43 Art model. What is the best way to remove the existing decals?
    Are the model bodies covered in a protected spray that would not allow the decaIs to come off? I was going to soak the car body in water and hopefully soften the decals so I could take them off. Then I thought I better ask this forum before I do anything. Also I want to change the color of a car. What is the best way to do that?
    Thank you, 410Sport

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Next up from SMP24 the prototype P250 Lamborghini in 1/24th scale.

410Sport,

I would use lacquer thinner to take the decals off. To remove paint take the model apart and soak the body in auto paint stripper after removing all parts. Painting using an airbrush is the best way, but auto paint in spray cars is also good. Good luck.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dino246gt and gt4me like this.
  3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell

Love that!

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Fernando Pinto says his FPPM Streamliner Mercedes W196 French GP winner F1 kit in 1/24th scale will be ready in November 2021. The Ferrari 1979 312 T4 1/24th kit is now available.

Next up from FPPM the normal Mercedes W196 F1 in 1/24th scale.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    humberto rosario likes this.
  7. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    You might try one of the various brands of “decal setting solution”. This stuff is specifically made to soften the decal material, but be gentle on any underlying paint. If it works, you should see the decals wrinkle a little. If that happens, you can use something soft (like a plastic credit card) to scrape the decal off. If you don’t get any wrinkling, then there is a good chance that there is a coat of clear gloss over the whole model, and you might have to strip everything...

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    More new printed models. I think this will be the future of kits and it will allow for much more variety.

Scale Car Art 1/24th Alfa Romeo 155 ITC 1994 kit

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It is with deep regret I have to say Mike Quarterman of UMI who also did MRRM magazine passed away this afternoon.

He was one of a kind in the modeling world creating many decals and being instrumental in getting small resin kit makers into business. He will be missed!!

scudetto1959, rei24, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    But note that with some setting solutions, the initial wrinkling will go away! My advice is to wait until everything is dry and see if the wrinkles disappear. If you mess with the decal prematurely, you might ruin it.

11. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I believe the OP wanted to remove the decals.

That said, yes, when used for its intended function (making decals conform better to panel lines and other details), the wrinkles usually go away as the solution evaporates. Pretty “magical” actually....

Rosey likes this.
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That is sad news. RIP Mike.

13. rei24

rei24 Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Klaus
    Very sad news.
    I met Michael just once at his home about 30 years ago, and it was a great experience - I will never forget this. Learned a lot from him, and met a lot of great modelers afterwards with his recommendation. I guess I still have all of his Ferrari kits (built or unbuilt), and most of his MRRN magazines.
    What a loss!
    Bye, Michael.

14. scudetto1959

scudetto1959 Karting

May 4, 2012
    I'm very sorry to hear about Mike's passing. I still have every single issue of his Motor Racing Replica News magazine which has been an inspiration and also a source of information for me in the pre-internet times.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  16. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    Terrible news about Mike. I met him eons ago, right when MRRN was just geting off the ground. I had no notion of "resin kits" back then, but he sort of introduced me to the more exotic side of modeling. It's amazing how many decal sheets he created over the years, for the likes of Studio 27 and many, many others. I too was introduced to many hard-core modelers through Mike, and more than one of them became friends. Really wish I'd taken the time to catch up with him in the last couple of years.

Sad news.

F1tommy likes this.
  17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    gt4me likes this.
  21. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great subject!

22. Graphic-mini

Graphic-mini Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    La Rochelle, France
    Full Name:
    Guillaume Phelipon
    Yes there will be the Urraco P250 and the 2 prototypes. 3 model to come for the Urraco !

gt4me likes this.
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    He certainly does interesting subjects but I would rather he did Urraco "Bob" instead of 2 prototypes and the P250 production version. Also I do not like the way he will not do photoetch window frames. It's very hard to build his models and make the windows look as good as say BBR without alot of work. He is kind of living in the 1980's the way he does things. Still very talented and his shapes are almost perfect, and much care goes into every kit.

P.S.

I have asked him several times to do photoetch window frames as an option in the kits, and so far I think 2 or 3 early kits had it but none since.

24. Graphic-mini

Graphic-mini Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    La Rochelle, France
    Full Name:
    Guillaume Phelipon
    I see your point, i can ask him also ;)

After, we can make the Urraco Bob from the P250 (with a lot of work, yes), same for the P300 and P200.

I don't build he's kit for the moment, i have a lot in stock... Kamshin, Mangusta, Stratos Zero, Espada, Indy, Rainbow, Montreal, 365 P Guida centrale. When you say he's living in the 80's, i'm not agree at all, the level of details of the kit is much better than a lot of kit, just see the driving train, they are quit nice compare to other ;)

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    1980's in the way the kit's are partly done by hand and his use of photoetch, not quality. By the way, they made some fantastic kit's in the 1980's and early 1990's, better than even Hiro. But almost all in 1/43rd scale.