new Range Rover Velar | Page 3 | FerrariChat

new Range Rover Velar

Discussion in 'British' started by jm2, Mar 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Eh? Not remotely. Other than it's an SUV :D

JAM1 likes this.
  2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Definitely does, no remotely about it other than the RR looks a like a modern version. My wife loves Range Rovers and I am sure you can tell........I don't.

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    As we say in the UK. You "Should have visited Specsavers" :D

4. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Finally got my Velar this week (delivered to my house) and drove it today for the very first time (never bothered with a test drive). You aren't kidding about the tech...wow! My wife absolutely loves the spaceship look inside, and so do I. It may have the same 25o HP motor as my Evoque and same basic trans, but it drives a world better, especially the auto change down/up when almost coming to a stop. So far, two big thumbs up!

ronfrohock likes this.
  5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock

You will like it even more as time goes on and you become familiar with the tech.

It’s quite a car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    A friend just got one last week. It's beautiful in person.

I'd like to think the service issues are overstated as well at the rate they're selling them. 73000 units in 2016.

7. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I just had my 2017 taken back on lemon law. The dealer offered a replacement from their inventory. I said let me see the Velar, I was warned that the software is crashing like crazy and the service Dept is flooded with complaints. Same with Jaguar E Pace which shares hundreds of components with LR. I really miss my MB GLK 250 diesel which I turned in at the end of its lease. the MB got 40 mpg and only went in the shop for oil changes.

8. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    **2017 Evoque taken back on lemon law**

9. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Every brand is hit or miss. My Evoque (15) never needed anything other than oil changes. Only needed one trip to the dealer for a trans software update. Utterly reliable. I've heard of plenty of MBs that lived in the shop...

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not what I want to hear - but my wife's glass interface is glitchy and I've been telling her to take it in. Sounds like they don't have a solution yet which is not good... or something that early adaptors will have to live with for a bit.

11. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    We have had no problems at all. Completely reliable.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Search online for Range Rover glitches and service problems and decide for yourself.

13. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Picked one up for the wife several weeks ago.
    Great looking car inside and out with amazing technology.
    No issues whatsoever.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was looking at various LR/RR models and test drove a mint '14 LR4 HSE SCV6 and a Discovery HSE Luxury 2.0L last night. Within 500 feet I knew I didn't like the Discovery. It was gutless and cramped. Felt like the RAV4 rental I had last year.

The LR4 is roomy inside, the ride is basically similar to my friend's RR Sport of the same era but with regular springs instead of air shocks. Unfortunately I didn't get to do an offroad course with it to see where it would shine. As a road vehicle it's fine but I didn't feel like I had to have it.

15. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    We have a 2016 Sport and we 2014 full size RR. The full size RR was approaching 60K miles so was planning on trading it in on another one two weeks ago. Decided to test drive 1 Dynamic R SE 380 Velar and was sold before I got out of the parking lot.
    Very true on the high tech but if you can operate an iPad, you can operate this pretty easily. Integrates very well with an iPhone.

Two round trips from Dallas to Houston and 1500 miles and I am happy with the Velar. No issues at all, rides more like the full size RR than the Sport.

F2003-GA likes this.
  16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Boomhauer, LorenzoOO and F2003-GA like this.
  17. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    The LR looks like an Explorer because it still uses much of the same architecture from when Ford owned the company. Many parts are the same as well.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.