New Roma - Love it and hate it | FerrariChat

New Roma - Love it and hate it

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Challenge64, Oct 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just got my new Roma on Thursday - 3 whole days ago - and it is spending the night tonight abandoned in a grocery store parking lot. Great.

This mess started 2 days before pickup when the dealer told me that they were having problems clearing electrical codes associated with the driver's side door. Should have been more concerned...

On Thursday, the car was all set to be delivered in the showroom and just as I showed up, the dealership was scrambling people back and forth around the car - turns out the battery was dead. I was later warned about keeping the key within 25 feet of the car and told it was something to do with the car and key constantly communicating. Need to re arrange the garage but I can accommodate.

Good news - Drove it home and it was a blast! love the looks, love the sound, love the interior, love the dash. And once home, immediately connected it to the battery tender. All seemed fine.

Friday afternoon the headlights turn themselves on. Odd. Called dealer made appointment for next week.

Saturday more electrical bugs pop up. Doors locking randomly on me and such.

Tonight I disconnected from battery tender, drove to the grocery store and 15 minutes later the car would not start, dash throwing at least a dozen errors at me, and other warning lights blinking here and there. Ferrari Roadside doesn't have a tow and I had to leave the car. Even though the car appeared to have some power, the headlights wouldn't turn off, the dash wouldn't respond to any inputs despite fully illuminated, and it took the better of 20 minutes to lock the doors.

Anyone want a 3 day old Roma?

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully they can sort all of that asap so you can enjoy your beautiful car again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is just not the start you want and it could broken wire anywhere in the car or some faulty module. I doubt they will find it easily

4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Its drop dead gorgeous, hope they get her sorted out ASAP!

5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Battery is shot. Once it is replaced they will see what else might be happening…

SV

6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Odd the car was delivered new like this…assuming you’re correct. When I plugged in the Roma battery tender, it showed a green light. I have the same tender on the Lusso and it will show amber if drained even slightly.

7. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    This feels outrageous. Not that it happened … but that they released the car to you knowing there were obviously issues. Further, don’t you own several Ferraris? I seem to recall a spectacular TDF … but the dealer literally let you just leave the car in a parking lot??? I’d think they’d have been able to figure out a way to go the extra mile for such a valued client … that is simply not acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    yes several Ferraris. Fault isn’t with the dealer as the car seemed to work when delivered. Most the problems started the next day.

9. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Could it be a simple alternator failure? The battery is not being charged?

10. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    My car had a bad battery, drivers door panel coming loose, uneven gaps, update for GPS readout that should have been done before delivery.
    Couple this with poor service from dealer and the bloom was off the rose for me. Required 3 trips to dealer. Enough. For $300K+ I expected better. Sold car.

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    After 3 days I want to sell the car.

anunakki likes this.
  12. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Get the dealer / Ferrari to buy it back. The Roma’s have had issues since day one. I recall there have been at least 7 updates all for software issues. Amazing they did not hold off shipping these cars before they had better intel of these issues.

Sorry to hear about this.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jordan68 likes this.
  13. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Simple answer. Ferrari wanted the money. Let the dealer handle the mistakes and make the buyer waste his time trying to get things fixed.

14. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Any pics of the car, Ron? Sorry to hear about your troubles!

15. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Really sorry to hear about your troubles. Unacceptable for a car that costs so much and claims to be "state of the art". I do not wish to dishearten you even firther but you may like to know about my experience with a Ferrari battery. took delivery of my new Porto in august 2020. In November 2020 the battery had to be changed (even the door would not open and all the lights and screens were on). In july 2021 the battery had to be changed again. In August 2021 (yes, you guessed right) the battery had to be changed AGAIN. In all cases every screen and light came on. My friends suggest I dump the car and get something reliable like a Trabant! Wrote to Ferrari and the car has been with the dealer for the last 10 days. So far, they report everything is "normal" and there is "nothing wrong". :p Service from the dealer is pretty good though and I hope they can find the cause.

Jordan68 likes this.
  16. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Are you using a battery tender / trickle charger to prevent it from going flat?

17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think at a very high level they do realise and this is exactly why they appointed Benedetto Vigna as CEO.

18. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    How’s your relationship with your dealer? With your stable of Ferrari’s I feel they can make this problem go away with a proper fix or trade in.

19. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Sorry that u faced all these issues w your Roma... I faced similar problems w my FF and then with my 488...both faced issues from day one and I faced so many problems w the dealer to get these issues fixed... I wrote to Ferrari and to Ferrari owners customer support and they were useless

Hope your dealer will be able to fix your Roma asap

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

20. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Put your key fob in a RF shield pouch and that should help. Have to do mine everytime I step away from the car. So far it’s been good.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Really sorry to hear about this, especially since I have a similarly spec’d Roma on the way.

As Ferrari owners, we definitely deserve the best owner experience…but we are all there together plugging in our chargers as soon as we get home. I don’t need to do that on any other car I own or have ever owned, yet we just accept this as a compromise we must make.

In my experience, batteries are more often than not the root of cause of most of the strange behaviors I have seen. Best of luck getting through this. You deserve a better experience.

Willl and whatheheck like this.
  22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Update. Battery was deemed to be bad and replaced. Simple fix it seems but odd the car came this way. Too soon to tell if that fixed the host of problems as I just got the car back a few hours ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dowits10, Wheels1, mkultra and 17 others like this.
  23. Portofinoman

Portofinoman Rookie

Jan 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike jacquet
    Wow - that is one sweet ride - sure hope the rest of your experience going forward is nothing short of fantastic and amazing- please keep us informed so anybody else experiencing such issues can learn from it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Really hope that was it. Mine has been great since it had its big updates. A year on now and no complaints. I leave the key in mine a lot but it’s on a tender if it’s going to sit for a few days or more. I think I will start to being the key in to be safe.

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sorry to hear of the troubles, Ron.

Is it me or is it with the latest generation of (incredibly techy) cars, there seems to be a lot of issues? I read a lot about SF90s with plenty of issues as well...

alex likes this.