New Roma - Love it and hate it | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Roma - Love it and hate it

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Challenge64, Oct 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    The digital interface is riddled with issues. Our Roma and SF90 had issues as well.

2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Disgraceful events that would not be tolerated by intelligent successful men in any other scenario.
    Ferrari should be ashamed of themselves.
    If the car has any other issues in the coming weeks I strongly suggest you dump it or it will continue to ruin the potentially pleasurable aspect of owning it.
    Good luck.

NYC Fred, wings and Jordan68 like this.
  3. redzak

redzak Rookie

Feb 25, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Love it (in my case) - picked up in June (first Ferrari) and only PITA is all the beeps and buzzes when you start up. Very annoying. Maybe I have been fortunate but minimal issues and dealer has been spectacular (North suburban Chicago). Only issues were (i) one of the brackets on the rear bumper broke - dealer ordered replacement and fixed in several weeks (I was able to continue driving the vehicle). UI interface sluggish but am used to it - the warm up light does not turn off and factory is aware of it. So really only two minor issues in almost 5 months - dealer has taken detailed notes of issues and factory taking a keen interest so they can iron out first year issues. Very impressed. Had way more electrical issues with my Panamera Turbo (which I loved by the way) - Apple play worked intermittently, screen would go blank, radio would shut off, etc. Vehicle is spectacular for what it is meant to be. Read all the horror stories on Ferrari ownership and pleased to report my experience has been great.

NYC Fred, mrmicks, alex and 1 other person like this.
  4. lars dahmann

lars dahmann Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    lars dah
    Have had the Roma now for 5 months now and 3500 miles later, no major issues to report. have left the car parked standing for 2 weeks without any trickle charger and no issues at all. Had some minor oil sensor issues when driving up a very steep incline that would show up once a day and then disappear but that issues was fixed with a full oil change which had some contamination. There was a softwares update 2 or 3 months ago that fixed some bugs on the electronics. But other then that I must say the system has been working well. Even starting the car take off right away without having the digital display fully fire up has been no issues as well. The one issues that does show up sometimes is temperature not staying in synch mode
    when you adjust the temperature too quickly.

sd dave likes this.
  5. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I find it absurd that a very expensive gt car can't even sit in the garage for a few weeks. i'd understand for exotics but roma?

6. 355 Giallo gtb

355 Giallo gtb Karting

Mar 14, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    Rob p.
    i have had my Roma FOR 6 MONTHS NO PROBLEMS, I THINK YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU STORE YOUR KEY BEYOND THE DISTANCE, 25 FEET THAT THE DOORS AUTO LOCK. I BET YOUR FOB IS CAUSING SOME OF THESE ISSUES.

sd dave likes this.
  7. c928jon

c928jon Rookie

May 25, 2010
    I managed to fix all my quality concerns with my other cars, by buying a Landrover. It's lowered my expectations to "Has anything fallen off today Darlingr?"

RamsHmb, ouzo12, Mickyd329 and 4 others like this.
  8. Vintageignition

Vintageignition Karting

Dec 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Mancini
    That made me laugh!

9. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Glad you have your car back. I test drove one on Monday (Thanks Bud Root @ Ferrari Palm Beach). What a ride. I did notice these have a ton of electronics now. Love the car.

10. rudy1952

rudy1952 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Same problem on my 2022 Roma. It started perfectly in the morning, drove 15 miles to doctor's appointment. Two hours later got in the car and would not start, lights would go on, but only made a clicking noise and would not start. Roadside assistance came and tried to jump start it unsuccessfully. Car then could not be moved because Electronic brake would not release, followed by window would not go up, then door would not close. I was in a 6 story garage garage building and flat bed tow truck could not enter. Another smaller truck had to be called and after a 5 hour wait was able to pull the car out to be loaded on the flat bed tow truck. My car will be a year old next week and it has only 1680 miles on it. I use it on weekends and car has not had any issue till now. The car was delivered to Ft. Lauderdale Florida dealer where I purchase it only to be told that they found that it needs a battery replacement, and that the warranty does not cover it. They told me that I would have to pay for a new battery. I expect more from Ferrari that they would back their products. This is my 3rd Ferrari purchase and probably my last.

11. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Strange that they expect you to pay for a new battery. I have had TWO battery failures and they were both replaced under the warranty. On the other hand, if you HAVE to pay for it, maybe you should consider a Lithium battery instead of the standard Fiam battery. Or at least a high quality stamdard battery, but not the Fiam that Ferrari uses. When I had mine replaced the dealer told me very frankly that the standard battery was poor but they had to do that under the warranty. I told them I would pay for a good battery but the dealer said that would void the entire warranty :eek:, so I stuck with the standard Fiam.

12. rudy1952

rudy1952 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Thanks for you quick response. I not happy to hear it has happen to you twice already.I am waiting to hear from them today but I will not pay for a new battery, especially after hearing of your experience happening twice. How many miles did you have at each occurrence? I love my car and waited 19 months for it to arrive. I was schedule for annual service next week only sorry that it's battery didn't die while they were servicing it. Watch out for oil light upon acceleration as mine has lite up 4 times and it something they are also looking at. There is also a recall issue with the brakes. Best of luck and hopefully you will enjoy it without any further problems

13. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    The fact that you have to pay for a new battery on a one-year old car is preposterous and I would expect the dealership to replace it at their own cost.

695 likes this.
  14. timothymunro

timothymunro Karting

Jun 20, 2013
    I’ve had 2 batteries in 2 1/2 years in my Roma. They definitely have a problem with this.

15. rudy1952

rudy1952 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Yes they want me to pay for a replacement yet it has to be their brand and as commented by cyr they say if you replace it with a lithium battery you void the warranty. What warranty!!!!

16. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    If you would like to read (and possibly use) my letter to Ferrari, detailing all my problems let me know and I will send it to you privately. Keep in mind I have a Portofino and not a Roma.

17. rudy1952

rudy1952 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Thank you please forward it to [email protected] Today Saturday the 18th of March 2023 so call or text from my Ft. Lauderdale FL dealership as to the status of my car that has been there since Monday. One would think that with a high price car as Ferrari, one should get better service.

18. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    My dealer is great but they accidentally forgot to keep the Roma plugged in during a 2 day PPF install. As a result the car was dying on delivery.

I tipped off the battery with the tender and so far so good.

I’m not able to plug in my car. I live in a high rise. So far the fact that me and the key live many floors above the car and that I drive it every few days, has kept the battery healthy.

I wish Ferrrari would have realized that we don’t need an overly tech car. Do we want apple car play on a touch screen, yes of course. The rest of it I can do without. Also make it where we don’t have to plug it in. It’s a car. You should be able to not drive it a few days or a few weeks without fear.

TheMayor likes this.
  19. rudy1952

rudy1952 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    My issue is that I haven't use my charger because up to now, I have used it every weekend and sometimes a day during the week so the car has not had any issues with power to start the car. Last Monday I started it in my garage and drove it 15 miles and parked the car. Two hours later it did not start, lights would go on but car would not turn over just clicking noise from the right side of the front. The battery was so far gone, that the roadside assistance tried to boost it unsuccessfully. It had to be towed to the dealer where it has been since this past Monday. I can't understand why the car didn't charge while driving if the battery was low. I also can't understand how I could start it at my house and arrive at my 15 mile destination, only to have a dead battery two hours later. What really blows my mind, is that the dealer has ask me to pay for the defective battery on a car that is less than one year old and 1680 miles on it since purchase. I AM NOT GOING TO PAY FOR ANYTHING ON A CAR UNDER WARRANTY.....no matter what I have to do to get this resolve. I have lost all my trust in Ferrari and the dealership.

NYC Fred likes this.
  20. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels

The most difficult thing a battery does is start the car. A short drive at low rpm is not going to charge the battery. Asking it to start again after it could barely start the first time is probably what led to the failure to start. There is a battery gauge on the lcd display. I would guess you were pretty low.

With all of that said, I feel your pain bro. Driving the car once a week should be enough. This is silly.

21. rudy1952

rudy1952 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Thanks for input. To clarify the issue I have been dealing with cars all my life. I know if a car is slowly turning over not to drive it for the car sake and mostly so that my WIFE and I don't get stranded. Notice wife in caps, who wants to be scolded. The 15 miles driving to my destination was expressway driving at speeds (55+++) that would fully charge any battery. I agree that these new cars have too much electronics putting a high demand, but in my case the 1st thing I turn off is the stop/ start button on the car to not put more demand on battery, plus the annoying on and off. Anyhow I want to thank all who have commented on my problem and will keep everyone posted.

22. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the heads up! I am going out to my garage to take the charger out of the plastic to plug the car in!

May the Horse be with you

23. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I have been driving my car twice a week and the battery has been doing well. I plugged my car in for the first time in 3 weeks and the charger turned from yellow to green in less than 2 hours.

24. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Hi Joe, I saw you mentioned a battery gauge on the LCD. I have it on continuously but am not sure how to interpret it. When I start the car (Portofino) it usually shows 11.8 to 11.9 volts. Almost always just below 12.0 v. Starts fine but given all the problems I have had with flat batteries, I am always scared this seems too low. During driving it goes to about 12.1 and at traffic lights it always goes up to 13.0v to 13.5v. Do you know how I should interpret those figures?

25. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    Even when fully trickle charged, my battery will be below 12 just after starting. I have noticed that my battery will get above 13 or almost 14, after spirited high rev driving, so that’s what I look for now.

In the highrise I live in, you can only have an outlet if you go to great expense, around 10k. So only EV drivers do it. My neighbor is a Dr. He has a Ferrari 430 and a Tesla. He drives the Tesla to the hospital every Saturday morning. He recently told me I can plug the Roma in his spot whenever he is gone. So recently I’ve started plugging her in Saturday morning. The battery has turned green pretty quick each time.

I think if you’re regularly seeing 13.5 while driving that’s a good sign.