New to Ferrari - Advice | FerrariChat

New to Ferrari - Advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Andre84, Nov 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andre84

Andre84 Rookie

Nov 10, 2022
    Hello guys,
    I'm new here and considering purchasing a Ferrari for me. Either 360 or the 430. I owned several Porsches in the past and they never gave me a single mechanical issue. My 2009 Turbo has been pristine in all respects for nearly 13 years! Now I want to get a Ferrari for me but I read several bad reviews about dealers, costs, etc. Caa you share your experience or give me an advice? I live in MN.
    Thanks a lot.
    A

2. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I have owned about 10 Porsches and 5 Ferraris over the years. 2 of the Porsches needed engine replacements due to bore scoring. None of the Ferraris have needed new engines!

However, older Ferraris, Lambos, Maseratis all have occasional warning lights which tend to disappear as quickly as they come. I my experience the Ferraris that I have owned have been mechanically reliable, but I do drive my cars. I'm not sure that leaving Italian cars unused for long periods is good for the seals, which leads to issues.

3. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    Hi AND WELCOME TO THE INSANITY :)
    Give me a call I’m happy to help ya
    Mike 973-610-7111
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/anyone-that-wants-to-buy-or-sell-a-ferrari-the-right-way.586271/

4. Andre84

Andre84 Rookie

Nov 10, 2022
    Hey...this is helpful! I drive my 911 pretty hard when I drive it...but it has only 20K miles.

5. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Make the jump to the 430 if possible.
    Regarding reliability I’ve got plenty of experience with both brands over 30 years.
    Ferraris of the last 20 years are very reliable and in line with a 911. Parts are slightly more expensive and services. Otherwise you should be golden. Make the jump. A Ferrari drive is more special.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Rexcat458 likes this.
  6. Andre84

Andre84 Rookie

Nov 10, 2022
    Thank you man. I started to change my mind and may get the 458. Is it worth to pay more for a certified? Should I hire a technician who knows Ferraris to inspect the car? I'm new to Ferraris and humble to respect my little knowledge. A

Rexcat458 likes this.
  7. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I've owned my F430 for 5+ years and can say its dam close to bulletproof..when I decided to get this type of car it came down to Porsche or Ferrari.
    Porsche like you have stated very reliable tried and true...guess what so is Ferrari..from a technical perspective they are built very straight forward leaning towards racing type engineering.
    The F1 system can be tricky to understand but not impossible once you do..there is a ton of information on this forum with very knowledgeable people happy to point you in the right direction.
    Ferrari parts are simply expensive but once again allot of information where to source with better $$$ options.
    Every time I drive my car it puts a smile on my face...like someone mentioned its special.
    Once you get the right car and I emphasize get it PPI before purchase or you may be disappointed..
    Oh heads up frequent visits to the garage just to take a peek will be considered normal "No therapy required"
    Welcome to the family.!

Rexcat458 likes this.
  8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Ferraris are reliable if they have been driven. Don’t limit yourself to low mileage cars. In my opinion it’s the lower mileage older cars that start to produce gremlins once you start driving them. Definitely would recommend either the 360 (I’ve owned 5 of them) or 430. Timeless designs with a raw visceral driving experience. Good luck in your search. It’s half the fun!

Doug. likes this.
  9. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes 458 is quite I jump from 430 as is 430 from 360. Also last NA V8 so good on the residual. I wouldn’t spend more for certified but definitely get the PPI.
    It’s going to be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat