Newbie looking for an FF in the UK | FerrariChat

Newbie looking for an FF in the UK

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by frankychops, Nov 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    Hi all

I've 90% decided on a FF. what are the must have's? ignoring running costs, would it be save to assuming 4% a year over a 3 year period in depreciation?

I'm struggling to put a value on the FF, prices are all over the place, have they gone up? Gone down?

2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

The simple advice on spec (certainly the colours) is to buy what you like.

As for ‘essential’ extras, there are those who will tell you that;

Shields
    LED wheel and
    Pano roof

are all essential. And there will be plenty of people who tell you that they aren’t (shields are for race cars, LED is unnecessary in a GT and pano roof isn’t visible from the driver’s seat).

I can’t comment on depreciation because I’m not mystic meg.

And as for pricing, it’s all over the place because the cars are now at an age where you should be buying on condition rather than mileage or model year. Having said that, the late cars did have the option of Carplay if that matters to you. But if it does, you can always retrofit a new head unit to an older car. One thing which is expensive to retrofit is interior carbon. It’s purely aesthetic so decide if it’s a look you like or not.

As you can tell from my ramble, there is no right answer other than to buy the car you like, at the price you like (even though it looks like you’re planning on only running it for three years) because you might as well enjoy it 100% over those three years rather than worry about buying a ‘resale’ spec car.

-K1- likes this.
  3. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    I like the carbon and led wheel. Don’t care at all about the roof! I only mentioned depreciation, as being sensible I factor it in, when looking at the overall cost.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I bought one in August. In the UK there are effectively two markets, cars with a pano roof and cars without. Other options are personal, I'm not bothered about carbon in a 2 ton four seater shooting brake, to me it's the emperors new clothes, but in Ferrari world I'm an oddball it seems.

Those with pano sell better than those without so if resale is an issue that may sway your opinion it may not. After 2015 they all had the roof anyway but far more were produced in the first three years of production. If you're not fussed, no pano gives you a lower entry price with a corresponding lower resale.

Prices are all over the place because the first ones have now reached that awkward age for V12 Ferrari's - 10 years old. So it's all about condition and maintenance.

Many of the cars currently advertised have been advertised for a while, there's a reason for that. Also consider in the UK there are only a little over 200 of these cars to start with. When I was looking. I wanted a light interior with either blue, green or Grigio Titianio exterior, no privacy glass and a pano roof. I was probably waiting for one of 20 or so cars to come up for sale, when one did I bought it before the pictures appeared on the listing and paid asking price becuase that was the car I wanted.

My car also has suspension lift and I use it. Rear entertainment (never used it once). Carbon driver zone (carbon wheel with shift lights plus carbon paddles and some other carbon trinkets) - it's nice but I'm ambivalent out it.

The head units are utter rubbish, budget in a change, it's double din and quite straightforward.

Three rules of buying an FF:-

1. Get it inspected (by you - pay for a proper inspection independently from the selling dealer).
    2. See rule 1
    3. Did I mention an inspection?

Seriously, you just need to get someone that knows these to look over them, preferably a Ferrari dealer, then ask the dealer if they would be prepared to offer factory warranty on it as a pre purchase inspection is pretty much the same as a pre warranty inspection. If they don't offer the availability of a warranty, then you know what to do.

Taking a warranty is a personal choice, I decided to for year one for peace of mind as my car had covered less than 1000 miles combined in the previous two years (Power15 cost £3960). I drive it, so if something is going to wrong it will likely go wrong within the first 12 months - In my case a split oil cooler 48 hours into ownership - £2,500 covered under warranty.

I will self insure after year one.

Go into this with eye's wide open. These are not easy cars to move on, you've got to be pretty dedicated to buy any V12 Ferrari or have deep enough pockets not to worry. If you assume there's going to be a £20K dealer spread between trade and retail price you'll not likely get any nasty suprises. But don't think you'll buy one at £100K and be selling it for £96K a years later. That £100K car will be £80K when you try and move it on unless you're prepared to wait - they are not liquid.

Most of these cars will now be selling though consignment, dealers will not buy an FF into stock unless it's very special (1 owner, silly low miles).

This maybe not what you want to hear but I'm being realistic. These are such low volume cars in the UK they are effectively worth what you or someone is willing to pay, and that's about the top and bottom of it.

Joe Macari doesn't sell rubbish, all his stock always stands out as quality to my eye's. You'll be getting Ferrari approved warranty with one bought there - you'll pay for it, but there's reason for that. It's effectively pre inspected and pre warrantied.

5. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    Hi

thanks for the sensible reply. All good points. It’s a dream car, so I’m no looking to make money. Sounds like I should allow £20-30k depreciation if I did decide to sell it after 2-3 years. Which i can live with.

6. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    Just to add, what are the headunit options?

7. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Pretty much any double din unit. I went with a Kenwood, see following thread. Others have also had good results with Pioneer and Alpine.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2014-ff-stereo-head-unit-upgrade-uk.665791/

I decided not to bother with built in Nav so went for a head unit that runs Android Auto and Carplay. On the grounds Google maps or Waze are always going to be more up to date than any form of built in Nav, with free constant updates. It's actually what Ferrari decided too with the new Purosangue.

Wireless vs Wired - see my comments in the thread above. What suits you?

The speakers aren't great (I don't have the HiFi option in my car) but it's surprising how much better they sound with a decent head unit.

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What Alan said is very good advise.
    If you buy from a main dealer you should get the 2 year warranty included within the price, but always check this.

21ATS likes this.
  9. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    There is a used/private sale in a nice spec on auto trader for £96k, under warranty.

10. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #10 21ATS, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Chris Harris' old FF is on collecting cars right now. This will give you a real world feel for a price of an FF as a private sale. Just add 6% to the final bid price.

Nice colour combination this car too.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2011-ferrari-ff

11. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    The one on auto trader has just sold at £87/88k. 7 months Ferrari warranty left also. furlonger ptu.

12. Spinner599612

Spinner599612 Rookie

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul Owen
    buy the best you can, I bought a UK late 2015 car with pano, great colour (TG) and F.Warranty this year and it’s been brilliant. I won’t modify/tinker like I do with most of my cars so just plain servicing seems cheap enough!

13. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    9 owners in 26,000 miles is what seems to be putting most people off that car.

It's not unusal for mutliple owners on Ferraris but even so, 9 is getting a bit strong. It points to lots of people jumping in and out of it before they needed to spend anything on it. Not a great sign.

That said I've not seen it in person, if it appeals go and have a look and bid them. Knowing it's been for sale for some time £90K might take it if it floats your boat.

14. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    I know; it’s getting on for a Porsche gt3 in terms of number of owners!!

it looks to be a lovely spec. They just seem slow cars to sell, which is bonkers to me.

15. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I think the car at Kaaimans is a better shout than the VVS one.

4 owners, already low £90's. Sober colour combo. You really won't care what carbon it hasn't got when you're pulling gears listening to the V12.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10429381

16. frankychops

frankychops Rookie

Sep 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    mike smith
    I feel like that combo just isn’t very special. I would like the led steering wheel.