Niki Lauda had a lung transplant . . . | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Niki Lauda had a lung transplant . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Aug 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I expect that his recovery will take awhile, but if he were to appear at Monza the tifosi would go nuts!
    Respect the Rat

Sharknose, 635CSI, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    this is what happens when you blow so much hot air

lol just kidding hope he recovers well

mcimino likes this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    lauda is a tough bastard. he will survive.

mcimino and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    He is a tough SOB! I think he'll outlive Keith Richards.

SimCity3, mcimino and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Doctors in good spirits about Lauda

AUGUST 20, 2018

Niki Lauda is making progress as he continues to recover from a lung transplant.

The F1 legend missed the last two grands prix before the August break, and is still recovering in intensive care in Vienna.

"There are days when he feels better and talks very well, and there are worse days too," a source at the hospital told Osterreich newspaper.

Referring to the Mercedes team chairman's current condition, the medical source continued: "He is the best patient you can imagine.

"He actively participates in physical therapy and is training his breathing and the muscles. We are in good spirits for his recovery," the source said.

Miha, subirg, jgonzalesm6 and 3 others like this.
  6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    F1 not the same without Lauda says Marko

AUGUST 23, 2018

Dr Helmut Marko says grands prix are not the same in the absence of Niki Lauda.

F1 legend Lauda is currently recovering from a lung transplant in a Vienna hospital.

"We all know that it was very serious and it still has not been said that the lungs are rejected, but that's something private I don't want to comment on," Marko, a top official at Red Bull, told Servus TV.

"He needs our support and we know he's a great fighter," Marko, an Austrian and former F1 driver like Mercedes team chairman Lauda, added.

"I have to say that there were two grands prix without him and it's not the same," he said.

The Vienna hospital where 69-year-old Lauda is recuperating said: "Please understand that we must maintain the privacy of our patients. We do not comment on rumours."

mcimino likes this.
  7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Strange comments by Marko. Is there a problem with rejection?

tifoso2728 likes this.
  8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    This is the first I've heard of such a possibility.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Niki Lauda has been a life time Hero of mine. But like the saying goes don't meet your hero's I've met him 6 times, I cant say that he's been as accommodating as meeting Jackie Stewart or someone like David Coulthard, but he is a legend. If you know your stuff, he'll respond to you. if you don't he'll walk away. Last time I saw him below:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jgonzalesm6 and G. Pepper like this.
  10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I bumped into him twice: One was after the chaos rain GP in Monaco (which got stopped and the victory went to Prost). The other time in downtown Indy on Saturday before the GP. Never bothered him about an autograph which I now regret. Oh well.

Jeronimo GTO and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've got 5 autographs from him & purchased two books that he signed.

12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Holy cow, seems unfair that you have so many and I have none :):p:eek:

Oh well.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Sorry. I got my first one in 1976 at Watkins Glen at the Glenn Motor court hotel restaurant. we were leaving ( my Mom & Dad and some of their friends when Lauda comes walking in with a group of people all talking Italian ( I think - was not German ), I stuck my program and pen out and he walked right by. then finally he scribbled his name over Carlos Pace's picture. that was #1. he was just back after his accident - and looked terrible.

following year we were sitting there for dinner and he was at the table with Reggazoni , Fittipaldi, Peterson - 77 we were sitting across from Champman. and Lauda walked past me as I was asking him for an autograph,... all the guys at the table motioned me over and signed my program ... but Lauda.

I got two in 1984 one at Detroit and other in France.

got one in 1990 - as he was at Monza with Ferrari - visiting. I was in the Marlboro tent and he walked in with Prost and an Austrian media guy. that is nice one, that I in my copy of Mein Story. ( I carried that book with me to Gp's collecting autographs.

last one was back 2002, at Spa, he was walking in the paddock - alone, and I spoke to him asked for an autograph "yes, quick please' ... its on a Niki Lauda Card I had with me.
    After Jackie Stewart autographs, Niki is the one I have the most of.

Sadly he is a pretty gruff guy, not very accommodating... but if you are timid forget it. you have to assert your self to him.

Jeronimo GTO and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Sadly he is a pretty gruff guy, not very accommodating...

Tells it how it is though, no interest in PR, balls of steel.

Respect the Rat !

Sharknose and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  17. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    And he even criticized his own work as a bit sloppy, but adequate at this time.....

635CSI, crinoid and Jakuzzi like this.
  18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Wolff in regular contact with Lauda

SEPTEMBER 7, 2018

Toto Wolff says he remains in "regular contact" with F1 legend Niki Lauda.

Together, the duo own and run F1's highly successful works Mercedes team. Some weeks ago, 69-year-old team chairman Lauda had a life-saving lung transplant.

He continues to recover in a Vienna hospital, and Mercedes boss Wolff said "everyone" at the team misses him.

"For me I especially miss him from the human point of view. As a travel companion, a sparring partner and a friend," Wolff told Die Welt newspaper.

"It was important that we always had dinner in the evening to discuss the day -- just the two of us. At the moment I have lost a very important contact person or opposite pole," he added.

Wolff says he is keeping the F1 legend up to date with the goings on in F1 and at Mercedes.

"His health is the most important thing for now, so he needs rest, but I'm in regular contact with him. He watches all the races and I try to keep him up to date as much as possible," he said.

jcurry and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  19. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Will be great to see him at the track again.

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had him autograph my program at Watkins Glen in 1975 on Saturday morning; unfortunately his signature had disappeared with time!

21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Lauda will not return in 2018?

SEPTEMBER 10, 2018

Niki Lauda will miss all of the remaining races this season, Bild newspaper has revealed.

The F1 legend and Mercedes team chairman is reportedly still in intensive care in Vienna following a life-saving lung transplant.

Lauda's friend Dr Helmut Marko, of Red Bull, told Bild that he has not been able to visit the 69-year-old.

"Only his family, so his wife and his children, can visit him," the Austrian said.

"The doctors say the danger is that he will become infected with a virus or other people's bacteria.

"We all miss him. Mercedes misses him, formula one misses him. Everyone misses him -- his charisma, his straight words," Marko added.

The newspaper said Lauda will not attend any of the remaining seven races this year, but Marko insisted: "Niki will fight through this and be with us again. We need him."

G. Pepper and 375+ like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Hang in there Super Rat!

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

It will be close !

Does Lauda drink ?

24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Keith is five years older than Niki - 74 - and he must have made a deal with the Devil or something. It's amazing he's still alive after the life he's lead.

Jeronimo GTO, Sharknose and mcg like this.