No nonsense toolkit? | FerrariChat

No nonsense toolkit?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Jan 25, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    What are you carrying in the trunk "just in case". I am not talking about tools that will make me earn concourse points, but rather tools that will see some use on a long trip away from home.

Also looking to fit these within the plastic trim (inside the spare wheel). Any suitable "container" (be it a "pouch", or a properly sized toolbox)?

2. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    All I carry is a puncture repair kit and some spares fuses.
    Plus membership to a breakdown/recovery service!

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    #3 SouthJersey400i, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    I carry a full set of spare M belts, the small ones. On a 4-day trip last fall, I had one fail and was able to change it. I have a small Craftsman tool bag with a socket set, multiple screwdrivers. I have fuses, relays and a few of the exhaust donuts.
    Ken

raemin likes this.
  4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #4 rovexienus, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    In addition to items already mentioned here, a spare battery, a super capacitor booster and a 12volts compressor. Depending on the car, a spare clutch cable (for manual gearboxes), a torque wrench and a three eared adaptor tool (365 GT4 2+2). Starting this winter, snow socks (compulsory in mountainous regions in France). For long trips, I also carry engine oil and coolant. No bags for all these :(, the trunk is getting small.

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    All I carry is my mobile phone and my road side assistance card that guarantees flat bed towing to a max of 150 miles. ;)

6. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks!
    Just for fun how Murphy's law applies to our preferred cars.

8 years ago in 2014, my 365 GT4 2+2 stops on the side of a narrow road. Not the battery (working fine), it turned out later that it was a failed fuel pump. While waiting for the towing truck, a 2CV (same group of cars that day) stopped over and offered to tow my car over to the next parking space. I was doubtful at first that the 2CV could pull the

nearly 2 tons of the 365 but it did, see the pictures. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Several years later during a regional rally, my younger brother is driving the same 365 GT4 2+2 and sees a 2CV stopped on the side. It turns out it is the same 2CV, the engine oil plug was missing and it losts all its oil. Thanks to all the supplies in the trunk of the 365GT4 2+2, the 2CV gets an oil refill and finishes the rally:)

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #7 raemin, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    All french car had to be capable to tow a caravan, hence the ridiculously short first gear of our sportscar till the early eighties. Not sure they were thinking about towing a Ferrari, though...

Il Tifoso and rovexienus like this.
  8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ha! That’s a great story and shows that one good deed deserves another!

Great pics… I wonder if there have been any other instances of a 2CV towing a Ferrari! Thanks for sharing them! :D