Non-Ferrari substitute gearbox? | FerrariChat

Non-Ferrari substitute gearbox?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 86mondi, Sep 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 86mondi

86mondi Rookie

Aug 6, 2022
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Frank Buckman
    Recently purchased a Montiel 3.2, 1986. The car arrived with a broken clutch even though it left with a working clutch ( something happened during transportation). I replaced the whole hydraulic system and that portion of the system is working fine but the car still would not shift.

I looked in the gearbox and found some broken metal bits (see picture) and that the gears are stuck.

The estimate for repair is $15 or $20,000.

This is 1/2 or 2/3 the price of the car.

This brings up the question, is there a substitute gearbox from a non-Ferrari manufacturer that will fit onto the 3.2 engine?

I am not a purist I’m really just want a car to be able to go on short drives on the weekend with my family etc.

Thanks very much!

Note I would probably save the original gearbox in case I ever did want to put it back in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Unfortunately, no. Best bet is to find a used Mondial gearbox if you cannot repair yourself.

3. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Remove and open the gearbox up and see exactly what has been damaged and then decide what to do.

These "15/20K" are merely guesses in the dark.

Rifledriver likes this.
  4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As others have said you will have to put a Ferrari gearbox in this car, be it new, used, or yours (repaired).

This broken part seems to be the gear selector block, which is available new from Superformance (https://www.superformance.co.uk/mondial-3-2/gearbox.html). No idea of what else might have been broken, but most parts seem to be listed on Eurospares. If a parts cannot be sourced, you still have the possibility to send your broken one to a good welder / machinist (Coppolaoldtimer saved my cylinder head and my brother's diff).

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    You mentioned “ something happened during transportation.” Was your car transported by the dealer, trucking company, etc? If the damage was done by them, then they should pay to fix it, or at least help you pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    You need either repair or find a used replacement Ferrari transmission. If you go with the repair option, you should use a Ferrari replacement part. The part can be purchased from an independent source; you don't have to pay dealer prices. Much of the cost of the repair is labor. Can you find an independent foreign car mechanic who can drop the engine and remove the transission? Depending on your level of skill, you might be able to do the repair yourself; removing the transmission internal parts is not rocket science. Following the parts diagran exactly; you should be able to ID any missing or broken parts. If you can't do the repair yourself, again a good independent foreign car mechanic should be able to repair the tranmission.

The other consideration is that once the transmission is removed, it's usually wise to check the flywheel and pressure plate and replace both the clutch and rear main seal. You don't want to pay the labor cost to do this twice.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #7 Rifledriver, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Broken syncro block. Hard expensive part is R&R.

The estimate is absurd. Easy fix. Find someone who actually knows what that part is and understands how easy the fix is. The shop its at are crooks.

Shipper not at fault. Quit listening to the people who think the last person who touched it is at fault. It was a preordained failure.

The car is 36 years old. Its full of things that are going to break given enough time.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    For a $100 part it makes little sense to spend a bunch of time price shopping.

Ferrarium likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    One more thing. Lots of special tools required and very specific product knowledge.

Bring it to a Ferrari specific shop who has the tools, specific knowledge and experience on that series of transaxle. They have not been built since 1989 so few 35 year old Ferrari mechanics are going to have requisite experience. Its easy, for the right guy.

Competizione and Sports Cars is possibly a good choice but Pocono Sports Car is a really good choice.

maurice70 and wmuno like this.
  10. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Agree that several special tools are needed to disassemble and repair the transmission. I feel sorry for the OP; his first Ferrari is going to need a major repair right away.

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Gearboxes are complex beasts. The way I handle such situation is to ask a local mechanic to drop the gearbox, then send the part to someone who knows how to fix it. Based on my personal experience, dropping the gearbox is cheap (even did it myself a few times), fixing it is not horrendously expensive, but re-assembly requires care and attention as you come across many "side issues" (electricity, hoses) that need to be addressed while you are there.

This implies a good relation with your mechanic in order to clearly define the acceptable scope of while you are there fixes, proper organisation regarding the transport and repair of the gearbox, and define before hand the storage of the car while the gearbox is away: (no mechanic will keep it on a lift for three weeks).

The OP needs to get in touch with a mechanic he can trust...

12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have had gearboxes shipped in just for the repair. Rifledriver is correct in the need for experience, knowledge, & tools. Find the right guy and get it fixed properly and it will perform for many years.

13. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    First thing you should do is get it FAR away from the mechanic that gave you that quote.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    One mechanic, whole job.

One guy to take it apart and another to actually fix it? B.S. Transmission complex??? Only to a child.

Find a good mechanic, I just listed two very good shops, send them the car.

Quit dealing with incompetent people, help us all by putting them out of business by not giving them money and take your car to someone good.

willrace, EP328 and JL350 like this.
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Assuming that there is only one broken cap, pin, and spring, and only for that one syncro hub, can this repair be done with the engine in the car and dropping the gearbox oil pan only? Or is it quite a bit more involved with having to remove the gear stacks and separating the gears from the shaft before you can put the pin/cap/spring back?

16. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    No. It will have to come apart.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well then the list of while-you-are-there will be sizeable. While go through all that and put the old syncros back, or half worn dog teeth, and slider gears.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Thats $3500 worth of perfectly good parts you want to throw away. I could leave them alone very easily. When I rebuilt the engine in our 328 I put the half worn clutch back in. Why change it? Works perfectly and at the rate I wear out clutches I may be dead before it needs a new one Same with syncros. They are iron, if the oil is changed appropriately and the car receives average use it could easily be another 10 or 15 years before they are needed.

Your philosophy of replacing everything in your path drives ownership of these cars beyond the means of many. Why replace perfectly good parts on a car that may only get 3 or 4000 miles a year? It defies logic. There is not a perfect part in that car. Why not just throw it away and get a new one?

Pretty bold suggestion for someone who has no idea how to even change the parts. A very big reason these cars have the reputation they have right here. Why a simple fix when we can restore?

johnk... likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Mr Buckman, feel free to get in touch if you want some rational advice.

You are getting a lot of crap here.

512-294-9650.