not a cook - needs to cook | FerrariChat

not a cook - needs to cook

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by rob lay, Dec 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so I'm going to post my real life struggles as a non-cook that will need to start cooking some for guests at our rural lodge. I have 4-5 months before I will really need to do it, so plenty of time to practice. I will take advice on modifications to my recipes and also suggested meals that will be good for mostly grilling and guys.

ongoing list of meals
    • shish karobs

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    this is my meal #1, it came out great for first time.

shish karobs
    • smoked sausage
    • chicken breast
    • green peppers
    • red peppers
    • onions
    • marinade (veg oil, soy, lemon, brown mustard, Worcestershire, salt, pepper)
    • hot grill 12 minutes applying remaining marinade.
    improve next time
    • add small potatoes for more carbs - maybe blanch first.
    • add mushrooms.
    • can also add steak and/or shrimp as another meat option.
    • marinade meat 8 hours in fridge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks for making me hungry at 10:00am :D

Jaguar36 likes this.
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Paprika Chicken Veggie Quinoa:
    By: Beaks ;)

½ red onion (diced), 1 chopped green bell pepper, 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1 chopped large zucchini (or 2 small ones), 2 chopped vine tomatoes, all on a non-stick baking tray, seasoned generously with ground black pepper, placed on the bottom shelf for 35 minutes at 400°F.

3 skinless chicken breasts, seasoned both sides with paprika (you'll use about 1½-2 teaspoons, just make sure it's covered well). Put on a non-stick baking tray, top shelf, 35 minutes at 400°F. Stab to the center of a thicker breast with a knife tip for a 2 count and test (carefully) on the back of your wrist for a moment - if uncomfortably hot, the chicken is done so slice it, if not, it needs more time so leave it in there. Veggies can be shifted into a covered dish to keep warm or let in the oven to crisp up a bit more, depending on your preference.

Quinoa. 1 cup of water, squirt of lemon juice, boiled. Add ½ cup of dry quinoa. Add 1½ teaspoons of paprika and stir. Turn heat down. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally. When water is absorbed, pull off the heat entirely, stir, recover, and let sit for 5-7 minutes.

Combine. Layer of quinoa, layer of vegetables, layer of chicken. Serve.

No oils, little fat, high protein, super healthy for gym goers, and very filling. :D Here's the overview (I know you didn't ask, but hey...):
    • Calories: 900
    • Carbohydrates: 85.5g
    • Fat: 10g
    • Protein: 95.2g

The above recipe is super easy, mainly just requires the chef not to cut his own fingers off (I'm assuming Rob's good with a knife :D), and serves one hungry Muppet or two normal people. Scale the quantities appropriately.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Rob...My top tips as a cooking enthusiast. I'm a scientist, so take them for what they're worth. First, work on your knife skills. Biggest diff between myself (an enthusiast) and professional chefs I've watched is that they do their prep work a heck of a lot faster than I. Not a big whoop since I cook for 2 - 4 people @ most. If you're going to be cooking for groups, however, then speed is more essential if you don't want to spend all day in the kitchen. Alternatively, coerce Mia and/or Jennie into sous chef duties, while you do the glamour work! ;) Second, mise en place. Learn it, love it, live it. Get your ingredients organized, any prep work that can be done earlier than cook time, do it. Third, the hardest thing for me, is timing. Some things take a while to cook, some not so much, and then timing things that everything hits the table at the same time, at the right temp. When my wife & I used to host larger parties, it was a pain to get everything out at the right time. Takes practice, or identify things like side dishes than can be done beforehand, so you can then concentrate on main dish(es). Fourth, don't be a snob, unless this is haute cuisine, use dried spices & such to make your life easier. Fifth, identify a half dozen or so things that you can do well, and stick to that. Better a limited menu of great items, and than a great menu of limited items. Finally, invest in good kitchen tools - pots, pans, etc. A lot of the cheap crap is exactly that. It'll cost less up front, but you're likely gonna wear it out faster. I like Lodge - cast iron & carbon steel - and Matfer - carbon steel.

Chicken Cacciatore. This is a good start. Basically, as a rough hunter's stew, you can do tons of variations. Change the meat, change the veg. I have made this in a 12 qt Lodge Dutch oven. So, you can cook a ton. Also, it keeps pretty well, so you can do it ahead of schedule.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/how-to-make-chicken-cacciatore.html

Another hearty, homespun meal that can be made beforehand and in large quantities is this chili recipe that I co-opted from an F-chatter.

"Kyle's Killer Chili - cubed chuck roast instead of ground beef. Beans (if you wish, I know this is a religious debate down here in Tejas). Chipotle - diced up, from can. Sweat onions & garlic, plus any veggies you want to get rid of (e.g., turnip (if so, amp up the garlic), celery, etc.). Chili seasoning (I like Williams). Crush tomatoes (I like Hunts). Simmer for eight hours. Great over spaghetti with cheddar cheese."

Best of luck in this...T

rob lay likes this.
  6. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Cooking for guests I love utilizing sous vide and finishing on the grill. Check out the sous vide thread in the cooking section.

tomc likes this.
  7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another random thought.

If you have or can get the necessary kit, no better - or representative of this area - way to feed a lot of people than brisket. Salt, pepper, fire, meat, time, and if you do it the Kreuz way - high heat - the time can be reduced. And, you can tell people that you're being authentic by keeping the sides simple - sliced onions, pickles, a couple loafs of Mrs. Baird's sliced bread. Bbq sauce? Sorry, nope!
    Maybe some borracho beans. Wash it all down with a few Shiners.

T

8. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    If you have a Whole Foods Market close. They sometimes have free to low cost cooking classes in the stores.

10. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver