NOT following the Aldous Voice ECU Reset | FerrariChat

NOT following the Aldous Voice ECU Reset

Discussion in '360/430' started by William Tell, Nov 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    I know that most of you follow the instructions from Aldous Voice when starting your car after the battery has been disengaged.
    Ferrari 360 ECU Reset | Aldous Voice

My question is, what happens if you do not follow this process and just start driving?

The reason I ask is that I doubt very much the garage I bought the car from followed this procedure.

The car drives fine though. It does not want to take off immediately after starting the engine, I need to let it idle for 30-60 seconds, also I only need to press the 'window down' button once on the drivers side and it will go all the way down. On the passenger side I need to hold down the button.

2. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    It might just take longer for all the emissions monitors to appear as completed, if you are not looking to read DTC error codes or perform a emissions test soon then you are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Only the driver's side window has the "one touch" feature.

4. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    Thanks, that is good to know. The reset process includes opening and closing the windows, so I thought perhaps that was the problem.

Funny though, that only the driver sides window has this function. Works for all four windows on my Prius :)

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    She will heal herself eventually. Might take a few cycles of the AC to get it to work and a few other systems may need the same. If you do not have an imminent emissions test, not a big deal. There is a simpler run cycle you can use that is not as big a pain.

Run cycle.

Turn battery disconnect switch off and turn off all accessories (stereo, A/C, etc).
    Let engine get completely cold or wait at least 30 minutes.
    Insert key in ignition and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition to on and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition off and leave for 30 seconds.
    Turn ignition on, wait for Check OK, and start.
    Let idle with no input whatsoever for 10 minutes.
    Turn accessories back on and drive gently for 10-15 minutes at least.
    You will have to insert stereo code, if required.

6. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Seriously! You have to do all that every time you use the battery isolator?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No.

The only memory lost is the clock, radio station presets, Motronic errors and fuel trim data.

The radio and clock you are on your own. The errors are gone for good. The fuel trim data is learning full time all the time and will just relearn as you drive. If it does not run well after turning the battery back on it is an indication something is wrong and the car is needing to compensate for it. It should run well on the base settings it defaults to.
    It will also need to re run all the tests and reset the monitors in the motronics and there seems to be a higher incidence of recording an error and setting a CEL when you force it to do it over and over by turning off the battery. I suggest not doing it but except for the clock and radio it will pretty much do everything else on its own just fine.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Of course you do not have to do that every time. It is just a shortcut for the driving run cycle Ferrari published. That one is a pain unless you have your own private track.

Like Brian said, do nothing and everything will come back to normal. But that disconnect switch was designed for doing maintenance, not for routine use.

9. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    FWIW, I've finished enough tests for emissions testing (I can have one incomplete in NJ IIRC) simply by driving to work with a stop for coffee! 10 miles down the freeway @ 3500rpm, 3 miles on suburban streets, shut down, and 2 more miles to work. The system seems much more flexible than the published drive cycle.

10. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    oh! I thought it was for saving the battery when you left the car un-used for a few weeks? Is that not a good idea then?

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Get a battery tender....problem solved