Not running right, SD light and rosy cat, diagnoses | FerrariChat

Not running right, SD light and rosy cat, diagnoses

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnk..., Jun 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    For the first time in 33 years my 308 developed a problem this week. Earlier this year I restarted the car, 85 3008 GTB QV, after taking it out of winter storage. All was fine, as usual. I hadn't had a chance to drive it yet with the poor weekend weather in New England and an extended vacation. But a couple of days ago I decided to get it out. When I started it, it was obviously not running correctly. Sounded funny and slow to respond to the throttle. I reved it a bit to see if it would clean out, but no. Then the slow down light came on and I shut it off. Sure enough, the cat was just starting to glow a rosy red. Time to diagnose the problem. So I let it cool down and then got out my pocket spark detector. Started the car and laid it on the 1-4 coil wire. Nothing. Laid it on 5-8 and it flashed away. No spark at all on bank 1. Funny thing, these flat plane crank V8s will run smooth as a top on one bank.

OK, no spark form the coil, where to start. First thing I did was to measure the impedance of the crank sensors. They were all about 740 ohms, so that didn't appear to be the fault. Next up, swap the digiplexes. No change. Looking like a coil. Time to swap coils. Still no change. No spark on bank 1, bank 2 was fine. Maybe a bad connection or broken wire. Checked and compared the bank1 harness to bank 2. Checked grounds, checked power. All good. So, maybe the crank sensor is bad even though impedance is ok. It can happen. Get out the scope and look at the pulses from bank 1 and bank 2.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Identical! Sensors are definitely not the problem. So now I know that the crank sensors are good, the wires and connections are good, both digis are good, and both coils are good. I decided to look at the coil trigger signal sent to the coil - terminal by the digi to see if it would tell me anything.

Bank 2 looks like what is expected. The initial part shows the drop in voltage from 12V at the negative terminal as the digi grounds the negative side. It looks OK on both banks. The bank 2 trace then shows a sharp positive peak followed by a return to the 12V level as the coil discharges across the spark plug gap. But bank 1 shows and exponential decay back to 12 V. This is indicative of the coil discharging through a finite resistance, not a spark discharge. Thus, it appears there is a problem on the high tension side of the ignition. To verify this I took a single spark plug wire and connected it directly to the bank 1 coil with a grounded spark plug inserted in the other end. When the car was started it sparked as normal. Since it would be unlikely that all 4 plugs would short out at the same time it appeared the problem was in the dizy. Popped it open and check it for cracks etc. It appeared good. Rotor appeared good on visual inspection too. So I pulled out my ohm meter again and measure the impedance between the rotor tip and the engine block. 92k ohms. Not a dead short but certainly much less than the infinite impedance of a spark plug gap, and it would account for the exponential discharge of the bank 1 coil. Problem solved.

FrannyB, INTMD8, Pero and 3 others like this.
  2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Well done sir! This is exactly the same issue I was having with my Euro QV After sitting for six months and was told by another member to change my distributor rotors as it solved his problem also. Just ordered new rotors from superformance last night.

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry John you kind of lost me at this point. Are you saying the rotor is shorted to ground? That would have to be through the drive key on the end of the camshaft making contact with the embedded conductor trace on the rotor. So are we looking at a defective part here? I ask because Kim has another thread about new rotors that didn't fit.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes. Well not shorted but something in the rotor is resulting in a path to ground through a resistance of 72k ohms (92 was a type). This is an OEM rotor, not after market, but old. I expect to have more to say about this tomorrow if my suspicions are correct.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    OK, I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I wanted to know how the rotor failed so first thing I did was clean it up. Then I pulled the spring clip out and cleaned out the mounting hole and the spring clip. There was a lot of black crap in there. When cleaning I notice what looked like a small hole in the plastic at the bottom of the mounting hole which would be right under where the rotor contacts the carbon in the dizy cap. I tried to stick a pin in the hole to see if it would contact the rotor. It would not. Either the hole didn't go all the way through or it was too small for the pin. I put the clean spring clip back in the rotor and measured the impedance. With all the crap removed from the hole it showed an open circuit. I reinstalled the rotor in the car and though maybe it would run now. When I started the car it kicked right over, obviously running on all 8, but then quickly went back to running on four. I pulled the rotor off and took the spring clip out. What I found was a new carbon deposit, evidence of the failure mode.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, that is really interesting that the plastic of the rotor could get breached like that but there is a lot of potential at that point for sure, probably close to 20 kv or thereabouts.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Carbon tracking in distributer caps/rotors can happen relatively quickly depending on several issues, including the weather/moisture (usually condensation) in the distributer, the quality of the material used to make the cap/rotor,and the condition of the rest of the ignition secondary. Once a carbon track has occurred on the rotor or cap, it cannot be "fixed." A new cap or rotor is the only fix. The secondary spark to ground will occur at wherever there is the least resistance. That is designed to be at the spark plug gap. But if the wires have excessive resistance and/or or a plug is excessively fouled, the spark will take the easier path which may be via the rotor or cap, especially if moisture is present. If the cap is carbon tracked, usually the result is a misfire on a single cylinder; if the rotor is tracked, that will typically kill all the cylinders.

In the old days, at least with typical US engines, when an engine was cleaned/washed, it was common to pull the distributer cap, spray it/the rotor with WD 40 and wipe it out before restarting. Some engine compartment designs (exposure of the distributer) were such that heavy rain/driving through deep puddles could cause ignition systems to cut out.

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This leads to the question of where these rotors are coming from. A search for P/N 124288 will get you results from various sources ranging in price from $15 to $150 for a used one on eBay. I assume an original would be from Marelli but there is no manufacturer ID on any of the ones I've seen nor on the package of the ones I purchased. In 308 milano's other thread he found that the $65 ones from MrFiat just plain did not fit. I have been using the $15 ones from Superformance for about a year now with no issues. I still have the ones I took off but have no idea where they came from either. I think it is quite likely that Marelli no longer makes them and I assume that many of the various vendors are selling the same product though I can't explain why there is such a wide range in prices. It's a real head scratcher :confused:

Brian A and 308 milano like this.
  10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yeah, it seems nowadays that there are a wide variety of products that although they have a different brand label, are exactly the same product with prices all over the place. Heck, if the $15 rotor works, I wouldn't give the subject another thought! :)

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I ordered 2 new ones fro Superfromance. $13 each plus shipping tot he US, what ever that comes out to be. I've bought many items from them over the years. Always been happy with the stuff. Yes, the OEM ones are Marelli. You may fine some new old stock if you are lucky. But most are after market and I would not be surprised if many venders are selling the same part at different prices. I believe Ricambi sells them for $44, AWItalian wants $30, Eurospares wants $16.. Why is anyone paying more than what Ricambi wants? I'm wondering if 308 Milano ordered the right rotors. Mr Fiat listed the 308 QV rotors for $105.

12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yep, I ordered the right rotors.

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #14 Brian A, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Roughly, how many miles do our rotors and distributor caps last?

I changed mine a couple of years ago at 44,000 miles and have no record of them being changed previously.

FWIW, I bought NOS rotors and caps when I was chasing an intermittent misfire. The NOS rotors were $48 each at the time. I decided to pay the big bucks because I wanted the assurance that they would be exactly right.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My rotors are (were) original (33 years old/33k miles) and one cap is original. I had to replace the other cap, back in 2010, because the spark plug wires needed to be replaced and I could not get the screws that penetrate the wire out. Aside from that there was nothing wrong with that cap. I know a lot of guys would have replaced both caps but 1) I don't believe in replacing parts that aren't broken just because they are old, and 2) I'm cheap. I will, however, replace both rotors. Less than a tank of gas these days. :) And I run regular gas in the car because that's what the manual say to use.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I was questioning because you said you got them for $65 but Mr. Fiat lists then for $105. ????? So they gave you a deal on bad parts? Your invoice says Italian Auto Parts. Is that Mr. Fiat too?

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yes sir same company. Would be happy to pass on this very good deal on crappy parts should someone else need to have a bad day LOL

17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
  18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Edit to above post: I did a search for rotor P/N 126139 and they look nothing like the QV rotor so forget the idea of them sending the wrong part, I have no idea what they are selling but it's not a picture of a 328 rotor.

308 milano likes this.
  19. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I did measured the resistance when I took it out. It was 72k ohms. mentioned that a couple of times above. And I did clean it and soak in in vinegar. That an old trick to remove rust and oxidation. After that it measured open circuit. Put it back on the car to see what would happen. It started on all 8 but quickly dropped the 1-4 bank again. Pulled the rotor and measured resistance and is was about 0.8 meg ohm. Pulled out the metal spring clip and there was the tell tale carbon track, as shown in post #5. I cleaned the rotor again and put a couple of drops of epoxy in the mounting hole and was going to see what that did, just for fun, but then figured, why bother. I'm just going to wait until the new parts arrive and be done with it.

I was thinking of selling the car since I really don't drive it much since I got the 355 and the Porsche. But it's hard to part with it after 33 years. I was offered more for it from a dealer than most GTSs retail for. And really, how many GTB QVs are there around? I've heard 29 for the US in 85. Also heard from 83-85 there were 38 for the US (which I don't believe). But I believe the number was around 50. By the late 80's everyone was suffering from Magnum syndrome and wanted a GTS. I bought a B because I thought the GTS was ugly and a flexible flier. :)

21. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  22. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow. I see the 11-1983 date stamp. Electrodes still look in nice shape. How many miles on the cap?

23. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    26K miles on the cap and 35 years of oxygen exposure.

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    im getting nervous about my caps/ rotors on my 75 GT4 they might be original. Im gonna try the Vinegar !!