NSX's new engine annouced today | FerrariChat

NSX's new engine annouced today

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by nsxnick, Jul 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Honda announced today that the NSX successor will carry a V10. I heard rumors about a hyrid, turbo V6, and V8... but no one would've guessed V10.

Watch out Enzo. Honda assures the new model will be as ground breaking as it was in 1990.

2. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i am glad they gave us all this great detail about the engine....i hate the great hype game...leak a little info at a time and get the auto fans all in a tizzy speculating on fast the next great car will be....is there any more info on the car???? honda has to hit a home run with this car if it going to have the same impact the nsx did in 1990..........

3. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    when will it be available?
    will it still be called NSX or a completely different car?

4. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I took the following directly from an Article on cnn.com. It doesn't say if it will still be called an NSX.

***ui said his firm will launch a next-generation sports car, equipped with a newly-developed V10 engine, in the next 3-4 years, to replace its NSX model.

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2005/07/20/afx2147156.html

5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Maybe it will be a 3.0L V-10 with an extra subchamber in the gas tank, ala BAR.

6. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

thanks.......
    my nsx was one of my favorites...can't wait. honda will undoubtedly deliver another great product.

7. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Cool, can't wait to see it. I think it is about time that Honda update the NSX, and I for one am glad to see them using a powerplant that is more in link to their racing heritage as in a V10 instead of a V6.

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    this hardly sounds like an official announcement.....he could resign as president tommorow and then what???/ also,the company could at any point the stop project,esp since is really hasnt started yet....let me know when i can test drive it at my acura dealership....

9. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I agree with you completely.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That would be nice and hopefully it will have a resonable displacement, like at least 4 liters, 5 or 6 would be better.

The NSX and ths S2000 are both nice cars with good hp, but the torque is too low to make them good drivers IMO. Honda seems to love to make class leading hp with engines too small to have class competetive torque. Hopefully they've finally learned their lesson.

11. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    I like honda engines. Momentum cars for sure. You can always tell who doesn't know how to drive in one because they don't have torque saving their asses after the corners.

12. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Why not *NOW* and use the already available Mugen V8?

I don't understand Honda's philosophy today. Back in the 90's the NSX goal was to be better than the 348 and 911/964 (and it did). What are they trying to do now, challenging the Gallardo? A V-10 motor NSX will probably cost close to $100k or maybe beyond. Nobody is going to buy another NSX which is gonna be more expensive (again) than the 911/997.

Sorry Honda, wrong marketing plan ... again.

PS
    Don't get me wrong, I love the NSX. I just don't want them to make the same sales mistake again. Let's just hope they will MAKE MONEY on the next NSX.

13. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    If it performs up to or past the 997, why not?

14. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    You're right, but the number of buyers will be so low that Honda will lose their Money *again* on the NSX like they did since 1991. How many NSX they sold each year since 1995? Not many. And I'm sure they are losing money from their initial investment. I bought the NSX book and it shows how much money Honda spent to built a new factory just for the NSX. A huuuge Capex (Capital Expenditures) just for one model.

IMHO if Honda wants to make money they will have to price it similar to a 911S.
    There are some exciting and cheap sportscars today , eg. a modded 350Z with Turbo is <60k, and for <100k you can get a used 993TT or maybe a 996TT . This is a buyer's market. No need for Honda to push the V-10 concept and make it too expensive.

I wish they will not be a financial fool again.

15. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    Was the NSX truly a "sales mistake?" At the time it was released, it was better than the 348 (like you said), and it sold in decent numbers (for an admitted exotic, anyway). I think an Edmunds article several days ago pegged the total sold at ~18,000 worldwide over its 15-year run. Honda knew they were going to lose money given the NSX's aluminum construction and increased number of man-hours (vice robotics) required to complete one.
    The NSX was basically a statement to Ferrari and the world that the Japanese could build a sports car, build it well, charge less, and make it as reliable as a Civic.

I think the NSX was more a "evolution mistake." Ferrari followed up with the 355, Porsche with the 993 Turbo, Lotus with the Esprit, Lambo with the Diablo, et. al, and Honda, for whatever reason, decided that the only improvement the car needed was a removable targa top. And later, fixed HID lights, while Ferrari released the 360, Porsche the 996 Turbo/GT3/GT2, Lambo the Murcie and the G, et. al.

The base platform is still very capable today. It's light, well balanced, has a user-friendly gearbox and clutch, and the maintenance is not too bad. Some tweaks to HP/TQ and the suspension and it could probably run the 'Ring in under 8 minutes.

You talked about the huge capital resources required to make the NSX a reality. Porsche spent a great deal of money developing the CGT, and Dr. Wiedeking was adamant about it being profitable. Therefore, MSRP $448,300. Porsche probably could not sustain selling the CGT for, say, $150,000, despite their segment-leading profit/car margin and hedged Euro/$$ positions.

Honda sells millions of cars a year. It competes in F1, IRL, and a whole host of other motorsports, so where is the return on investment there? Why can't I order ceramic brakes or a sequential gearbox on my S2000? If Honda's motivation for their involvement in motorsport is not about race tech trickling down to their passenger cars, what is?

I'll go out on a limb here and say bragging rights. Honda wants to win. The costs, as long as they don't sink the company, are secondary. Look at their neighbor. Toyota entered F1, at a cost of several hundred million a year, mostly because of the prestige. They've stated that they don't want to release their LF-A supercar until they secure a decent F1 finish (which, given the way Trulli's been driving lately, doesn't seem like this season).

I hope Honda is good to their word. I hope the next NSX pumps out at 400 HP, weighs less than 2900 pounds, and is competitive (if not better) than the new C6 Z06. Yeah, it'll probably cost at least $100,000. But the NSX was never meant to be affordable. Just "relatively" affordable.

Ok, I'm done rambling. I need to go look at the latest CGT listings on eBay. :)

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    In 1991 the NSX wasn't a sales mistake. By 1995 it was. Like r00t mentioned, they could have solved that with a more substantial update. But they didn't.

17. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    The thing that will make the NSX sell, basically what makes any Honda vehicle sell is its reliability. You have high dollar sports cars that are about as finicky as a 2 year old.

I like the V10 idea, it'll be interesting to see how efficient they make it. Honda has been known to carve out crazy numbers and still have a car that gets good gas mileage. It would be nuts to have a 500+ hp car getting 25 mpg. ;)

18. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the 997s lists for 79k, 85k with some typical options, the new z06 will be 70k....honda would have trouble selling a car for 20k more unless it is a superexotic with 500plus hp and exotic car technology and performance...in 4years, you can buy a used z06 for 40k and a 911s for 45-50k, the new nsx better be a dependable 430, gallardo , murci- type car to get my money

19. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The idea of a V-10 in an NSX is something i like. But the NSX is already over priced for the horspower you get. If they would just even put a V8 into it and make the V-10 model an step up or something. Im sure they would sell alot of V8's. As an after thought for the V-10 model, why not have a deal, price pending. That if you buy a V-10 NSX you get an RSX or an TSX it might sell more V-10's?

20. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Its nuts then!!! They call it the SRT-10 and it's available at your local Dodge dealer.

Bill in Brooklyn

21. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    NSX with a V10. Now that would be nice to see. But in 3-4 years? Why not make is another 5 so the NSX could have a production run of 20 years? :)

22. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This seems to be more about Honda than about the NSX.

Honda must see that too many people make V8's and Honda seems to be saying that they want to be the best at something.... so they are taking the company down a path to be the best at V10's?

"YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
    Posted Date: 7/20/05
    TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. has long maintained that it wouldn't develop a V8 production engine.But it now says it will develop a V10.

It isn't known if Honda plans to use the V10 in any other vehicles."What we're aiming at next is not a V8 but a V10," says Motoatsu Shiraishi, president of Honda R&D Co., Honda's engineering arm. "We've got to be the top of a top (group) in producing engines."

23. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    The same could be said for Ferraris, no?

The NSX is all about finesse, not brute force.

24. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    V10, well that's one way to say the NSX will in some form irrelevant. I'm thinking 500-550hp max. With a Z06 making that much for a lot less in price (pure speculation)...the NSX will have to deliver by the boatloads.

25. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    I'm constantly amazed how even on FerrairChat.com people are so quick to point out how much more power a Z06 has than any other car (as long as it's not an F-car) and use that statement as the basis for stating how crappy that car is.