NSX's new engine annouced today | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NSX's new engine annouced today

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by nsxnick, Jul 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PORSCHE968TS

PORSCHE968TS Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2005
    Cleveland ohio
    The nsx-r has only 20 more hp...that doesn't make it that much quicker..

0-60 mph: 4.7 sec
    Quarter Mile: 12.8 sec
    Top Speed: 180 mph
    Slalom Speed: 65.8 mph

Its still not going to run with a gt3 for the same price-the gt3 will get off the corners better and down the straights with more torque. The porsche will lose some time to the nsx in the middle of the corners due to its balance.Also the porsche won't lose to the nsx in top end because the gt3 redlines at 8200 and the nsx at 8000. So the porsche in my opinion is the better car hands down. It would be just to hard for the nsx to make up the 7 tenths in the corners that it lost to the porsche down the straight away.

0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
    0-100 mph: 9.1 sec
    Quarter Mile: 12.1 sec @ 116 mph
    Skidpad: .95g
    Top Speed: 190 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph: 113 ft
    Slalom Speed: 71.6 mph

Don't get me wrong, i think the nsx is a good car, but it just can't compare to a porsche gt3,a zo6,a viper,and the ferrari f430 in performance,value, and just sheer grunt that makes those cars so great. But i will let all of you say "i told you so" when honda puts a 450 hp engine into the next nsx and can run with a gt3 or a ferrari.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm suspicious that you are a young man with a 968, but it is in fact your father who owns a GT2. I've seen too many teens and twixters (20-somethings at home) come here and say "my car" meaning "my dad's car." Even better is when they say that their dad indicates co-ownership of say, a 996 Turbo, with the son.

3. PORSCHE968TS

PORSCHE968TS Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2005
    Cleveland ohio
    I know what you are saying,but i'm thirty years old and have had time to get established. Up untill three years ago the most expensive car i had ever owned was $20,000. Being that i'm seven years removed from college i've had time to become very good at what i do, and now i can reward myself for working 70 hours a week and being away from my family, with the cars i've dreamed about ever since i was a little. Yes i have nice cars but i work so much that i never get to drive them, and they just sit in the garage because most of the time i'm to tired to take them out on the weekends. Now if i was 23 and said i had a 968 and a gt2 than i would understand what you are saying, but i'm at that age where its possible to have what you want if you work hard enough.

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'll 2nd that opinion. Also, it is unlikely a controversial noobie troll like this who wants to get everyone all riled up would own a GT2 yet create a user id that refers to a lowly 968. His ignorance of the NSX has many layers.

5. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    Again, no offense but...

1) I could be entirely wrong because I am not an expert on all things Porsche but... I'm pretty sure this super 968 that you keep referring to wasn't even available for sale in the United States. Moreover, given what the price of a US legla 968 was when it was new, it had to be pretty damned expensive so are you really comparing apples to oranges?
    2) Your statement that the NSX-R "only has 20 more BHP and couldn't be that much faster" is very indicative of why you're so far out in left field. There's a lot more to that story.
    3) Your assertion about your mom's SRT-8 is the capper. Most real sports car enthusiasts can escape magazine racing and comparing the size of their respective tally wackers long enough to understand that life isn't lived "a quarter mile at a time". My first motorcycle cost me $5,000 and would blow the doors off of any of the cars that you supposedly own in a straight line. So what?

Road & Track, Car and Driver, Sports Car International and others all said at one time or another that the NSX was either the best or one of the best cars ever made. Period. I'll make no excuses for the fact that Honda let it go too long without an update and that I wouldn't pay what they ask for a new one (which is why I bought a 1998 that is damn near exactly the same as a 2005 but for the headlights and some minor other differences), but claiming that the NSX is a piece of crap with an "accord" motor is just ludicrous.

We don't all have to like one another's choices and we share the common bond of being car enthusiasts. But dumb ass statments and brand snobbery have no place on any forum.

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    A civil response like that does indicate some age. That's when a teen would normally lose it and start cussing people out. Thanks.

7. PORSCHE968TS

PORSCHE968TS Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2005
    Cleveland ohio
    I'm not trying to get people riled up over what i'm saying. I've just pointed out that the nsx is a good car but it really doesn't compare to anthing porsche has to offer in the same price range(996 turbo/gt3)..am i wrong?. I'm sorry that i like my 968 better and would rather have that my screen name than the eight hundreth 911 screen name. I drive a porsche for what it is,and not the way it makes me look,and thats why i don't have a favorite porsche because their all the same to me.

Its pretty apparant to me that all of you follow the band wagon and think that the 911 is the best porsche and everything else is just their to make them money. Even porsche admits that they didn't put everything they had into the 951 and 968 because it would have hurt the 911 sales if they had a car that was faster and was $20,000 cheaper to buy. So don't tell me the front engine porsche's suck because you don't know how capable a 951(944 turbo) or a 968 can be. How many cars do you know that can get 100 hp out of a exhaust,chip,maf conversion, and a wastegate??....the 951 could have been faster than most cars now, if porsche wasn't afraid that it would hurt their oh so precious 911 sales.

I just stated the facts on the nsx and all of you can't handle the fact that its not a world beating supercar.And it never will be because its hard to sell someone a $100,000 honda no matter how fast it is.Thats why they sell a few hundred(if that) of them a year now.

8. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Age has nothing to do with what car you can (or dont) own. If people suspect you are a troll, its not for your age .... believe me.

There are PLENTY of genuine people in their mid 20s on this board with a Ferrari + + .... or at least in the UK section there are.

9. PORSCHE968TS

PORSCHE968TS Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2005
    Cleveland ohio
    Your right about the 968 turbo. The 968 turbo was only sold oversea's but their have been a few to come over here. The price brand new would have set you back about 80-90 thousand dollars, but for a low production car its about right. If porsche had built 2000 of them than they would have been probably $70,000 because the car just uses off the shelf porsche parts.

I understand that the nsx-r was lighter and had a lot more technology put into it, but 310 hp and 3,000 lbs just can't compete with 400 hp and 3,000 lbs when the two cars handle really well.

I know that straight line racing ins't everything, but i wanted to point out that a lot of afordable cars are reaching the same performance numbers as the nsx. I know that the 300c would run horrible on a race track because of its weight, and i just wanted to point out that now five seconds to 60 mph really isn't that fast in the grand scheme of things.

I never said that the nsx was a piece of crap. I said that its an easy car to build for honda and it has a motor that you can get in a accord but modified a little..thats all it is right?. I've said many times that the nsx is a good car,but its the price that just doesn't match what you get. Its not about being snobby about a brand. I just posted a comment to the question of,would you buy a nsx over a 997 if it had close to or better performance, and everyone got on me for my comment. And again i would buy a 997 because of the companys background and history. On the other hand if i wanted to buy a daily driver to get from a to b and be reliable,than i would buy a honda because thats what their nown for.Its the same thing.

Listen i'm tired of talking about it. We all have our own opinion's on the subject and its hard for everyone to see eye to eye on the same thing.

So, i'm done posting on this subject, The nsx is a great car but its just not for me.

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    So, how can I get in on this desktop-racing competition?

My pee pee is bigger than your pee pee.

11. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    LOL!

12. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    968, I still think you are full of **** on a lot of things, but owning a GT2 at 30 y/o if you did it yourself is very impressive. You have my respect for that.

FYI, I agree with you that the NSX is not worth $100K. Of course, it was never sold for a 100K. Most people are picking up brand new NSX's for 79-82K. I think you will find that price is very very close to what the new Cayman S will be. Look at the specs on the Cayman S. It will perform nearly identically to the NSX based on paper. I think the NSX will still be faster on a track, but we'll see.

As for many other cars beating the NSX these days, can you not say the same thing about every porsche boxster and 996 minus the turbo, GT2 and GT3?

At least with the NSX you get the car for 82K. On a Porsche they option you TO DEATH. I saw a GT3 stickering for $126K with options!

13. Da Hapa

Da Hapa Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian Asis
    Wrong. Yes you can get a V6 in the accord, TL, RL and a multitude of other Honda products but it's not the same. Your statement is akin to me saying that the 4 banger that powered the 968 is the same 4 banger that you can get in a Jetta but modified a little. I don't for a second think that the excellent 3.0L I-4 (at least I think that was the displacement) that Porsche had in the 968 before killing it was even remotely close to the I-4's in Jettas and the new bug but you're logic says they are because the original I-4 that powered the 924 was from a VW (or maybe an Audi?? I can't remember) and the final motor was a derivative of that original power plant.

The real bummer that you've missed pointing out is that the 3.5L V6 that is sold in today's Acura RL actually makes more BHP than the 3.2L V6 that is sold in the NSX. That's the bummer.

14. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    PORSCHE968TS, you're so ignorant it's not even worth going through everthing cause I'm too lazy. But first, racing...all I have to say is F1, now and especially in the 80's. Ya, remember then, btw where's Porsche? Second, stop calling it a 100k car, it's 89k period, no options, just like good cars should be. Made right and correctly and not tinkered with, now 15 years is too long but it beats the hellout having an inferior Porsche every 2 years when they bump the hp and price, now that would really pi$$ me off. And when it came out it was 60k, but were comanding prices of 90k, now they're sold for 89k.
    Now, I'm not going to bash Porsche to show my *****s bigger than yours or try and use "brand" names to explain my choices. I love the NSX, don't care much that it's a Honda, actually kinda like it that was too. I like the GT2, GT3, and CGT and don't care that it's a Porsche. Alot of people buy Porsche's and Ferrari's cause they're posers and just want the name, don't care what the model is, just that "It's a Porsche"
    Last I absolutly positivly gaurentee that the new V10 NSX will smoke any Porsche in it's class, just they way the Japs do things. Will it beat the CGT, doubt it. And stop changing cars to compare it too, a GT3 is a completly different car to the NSX, compare it to the CS if you like. Also your 0-60 1/4 mile times (which you used with false intent) are still irrelevant, much more goes into cars then superficial times, hell the Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 will smoke most Porsche too, but it's still a pickup, big freaking deal.
    So just go drive your Porsches and fun, that all that matters, quit b!tching, pi$$ing, and moaning....you sound like a stuck-up, envyous, prick with a huge inferiority complex that must have others approval and envy by tearing down something that competes against your ideal.
    ok, I'm tired and bored so that's it for now

15. PORSCHE968TS

PORSCHE968TS Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2005
    Cleveland ohio
    The Cayman "S" will go on sale for about $60k [see link]. If the cayman sold for around $70k it wouldn't sell well because you can get a base 997 for $70k. They are talking about a RS version of the cayman with the 997's 3.8 for about $65,000, which will have your typical light weight rs treatment.

True not every porsche will out run a nsx on the track but there are so many other cars like the z06,viper,and the elise that can,and can do it for a lot less money. Thats the nsx's problem, if they sold it for about $60,000 and it had 350 hp and 300 ft lbs or torque than i think it would be a winner.

True you can get a lot of options on a porsche, but with the gt3 isn't not having any options the point?. If i bought a gt3 i would want it as bare as possible so i could get the most performance out of the vehicle. Okay,i would have a radio because it gets boring on those long drives to the track.

http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showcar.php?do=view_page&car_model_id=437&article_id=315

16. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I know the MSRP is about $60K... with no options! I guarantee it will be $70K with just a few options. Would you like wheels with that? :D

17. PORSCHE968TS

PORSCHE968TS Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2005
    Cleveland ohio
    Porsche has won 26 formula one races,two constructor's and three drivers championships[check link below].Porsche supplied the engines for the Mclaren-Tag teams. Btw how may times has honda won lemans,daytona,sebring,targa florio,imsa etc etc.??.

It takes porsche 5 years to come out with a new car and thats why their always better than the one before. Sure the new nsx with 500hp and a price of $120,000 may be better than some of the current porsche's but it still won't sell very well.

When comparing two cars that handle about the same and have the same weight, the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are important because it shows the cars acceleration. If i can run on a straight away for a 1/4 of a mile and pull away by a second,thats a big deal.

And i'm not complaining about anything.A forum is where you give your opinion on something and thats what i've been doing. In my opinion you just think that the nsx is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If it was so good then why has honda talked about getting rid of it??

It doesn't matter anyway because you'll disagree with anything i say no matter what.

lol lol lol i bet you if porsche built the nsx they would sell 15,000 of them a year and i bet you they would change the car if it hasn't been selling well for 14 years. Lol porsche could build a minivan and sell 10,000 of them a year at $100,000 a pop. Of course the minivan would have a 500 hp twin turbo v8 engine and could go 185 mph when weighing 5000 pounds(like the cayenne).

i'm done talking about this-i'm done with this thread-bye bye
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche

18. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Wannabe Gallardo, thats all i got to say about that!. Im very disapointed in new NSX powerplant.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I think that you may have some worthwhile observations if you've actually driven any of the cars that you say that you own. Fortunately, this credibility issue is very easily fixed. All you need to do is show us a picture of your cars with today's paper on the hood. If you don't have a picture, a simple hand written note that says, "Brother Bruce is the man!" will suffice. Oh, I forgot that you have more than one car so in that case, on the second car you can put a handwritten note that says, "Darth is my hero!" And then, we'll really listen to your opinions on cars. It's an easy enough thing, right? BTW, who are some of the athletes and celebrities that you represent?

20. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

lol, that's cool. Other than LeMans I don't really care bout the rest. I'm just saying that you seem to only care about the name on the car, not the car. Being blindly brand loyal isn't good. When I first heard the next NSX might be a steal bodied v8 I was PI$$ED, you have to like and hate cars for what they are, not who makes them. I spent 3 years researching NSX's before I bought one, I bought it cause other than the McLaren F1 I saw no better car to fit me, I didn't want to become best friends with a technician at Ferrari, so I went with the NSX. I expect the world of the new NSX and if it falls short I'll really be mad, not just accept it cause of it's name.
    Also 0- anything and 1/4 is useless. 30-120, 50-150 ect are relevant and braking from like 120-60 (not 0) are also, don't magazine race these cars!!!!

PS. Just enjoy your P cars for what they are, not the lil badge on the car. Like them for what you see in them and what you don't see in others like the NSX...irregardless of price too. That only shows if you can afford it or not....ala how I feal bout the F1 :-D. Friendly debate on facts and experience is fine, just don't talk about what you don't know...that's why I have said little about Porsche's, and they just don't appeal a whole lot to me, especially the image

Drive on :)

21. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    lol

in Cleveland right?

22. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

How can you say that, Honda hasn't said anything about the new engine other than it's a V10, plus methinks alot of the new Lambo engines have technology that came from Honda first!! :) But, I plan on buying a Gallardo soon (within a year) and keep the X, so I get the best of both worlds :-D

23. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What the hell were you expecting?? V16 Twin Turbo?? You must be very dissapointed in the Gallardo and F430 also.

24. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually, I totally agree with that. If Porsche had made the NSX, by now it would be a 3.6L V6 with 380HP and still be kicking asses left and right.

25. michaelCTSC

michaelCTSC Formula Junior

Jul 25, 2005
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael Lasko
    NETVIPER,

When are you going to tell Mr. 968 that your NSX would crush his car. Lets get the testosterone flowing and let the smack-talk begin.