Oak St. on June 6 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Oak St. on June 6

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Quikor, Apr 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'm really glad that the Rain held out for you guys. All week long,and even up until this Morning,they were calling for Rain. But luckily,they were wrong...all of them....:)

And,it was alot warmer this year than it was last year. Last year it was pretty cold for most of the day.

I'll join in again next Year. (Had Daughters big 13th. Birthday today.....still going on now,actually.)

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It was great meeting you; glad you made it to the show.

3. Nice meeting you Skip, your car looks like it came off the showroom floor. I didn't see any flaws at all...inside and out. I took about 50 pictures from the Player's Run gathering at the Penninsula Hotel. Half of the pictures are close-ups of Rolands F40LM. I'll try to post them all later tonight.

4. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Originally posted by Tifosi12: Thanks Mike E., Drew, Dave, Gisela and all the other helpers for making this another great event. We got now a nice tradition going.

I want to add a hearty second to that! Thanks everybody GREAT JOB!

5. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    That was a great show. I saw Andreas, Skip and Dave walking around but I was out with the proletariat.

I was surprised by the number of vintage cars there. Are they all from around here? Or do people come from far-flung locales for the show?

For some reason I thought that Maseratis were included due to the Ferrari connection with the recent models, but that (beautiful) Ghibli coupe didn't get in on that theory. I think there as an old Maserati racer too, and that nifty Osca coupe.

The only disappointment was that just about every model from the last 30 years at least was there, except there was no 308 GT4. I was giving my wife a crash course in Italian car design, and I wanted to use it as an example of the "wedge" school... I kept thinking we'd come across one, but no luck. And among all the much rarer, more exotic older Ferraris, no 330 GT 2+2? Come to think of it, there was only a single 400 and a single Mondial coupe... I knew the four-seaters were less popular, but I didn't realize they were THAT much less popular. (Yes, I did see the 250 GTEs and the 456.)

But I'm not complaining. We had a great time and, as predicted, there were plenty of interesting things to see on the streets surrounding the show as well! (Anyone know who owned that copper-reddish-brown Alfa spider parked north of the show on Rush?)

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting points.

Well, some cars came from out of state (Mike Fisher, whose car I forgot to shoot, sorry pal!), but most are from around here. Actually Chicagoland has a lot more Ferraris in store. Some folks have a big collections and a lot of people never come to these events with their cars. You wouldn't think of it with the weather we have here, but there are many, many Ferraris in the area.

I had the same observation and missed a GT/4 (Rick Schaefer was around on Saturday, but couldn't stay for Sunday, his 308 is kewl). And I also noticed, that 2+2 cars are really an extinct species. It was a bit of an eye opener for me: I always knew that with a 308 you're run of the mill. Now I realize the same holds true for Testarossas, 355 and 360. If your goal is to have a unique car, it has to be vintage, a supercar or a 2+2. Obviously the 4 seaters being the least expensive of that group. Not that you would win anything, but at least you're kind alone. Interestingly almost the same point can be made for 348. Only 3 of those in the field.

Masers are welcome to these events. Why the Osca was here, I don't know. I "challenged" it on the way home, but the driver didn't care as much about his license as I did, so I let him zoom away.

7. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There is an OSCA - Maserati connection. OSCA was started by the three sons (Bindo, Ettore and Ernesto) of Maserati founder Alfieri Maserati, near Bologna, after WWII. They eventually sold the company to the motorcycle company MV Agusta 1962.

Bill

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting. Thanks for that. So if we search hard enough we find a good reason why Allantes ought to be here...
    :)

9. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Now let me see..........Hmmmmm.......

The most prolific designer of Ferrari is Farina..... the designer of the Allante is Farina........ It does wear an Italian sounding name....... I have know some Italian-Americans that own/owned them........

10. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Andreas,
    I know your feelings on other marques dilluting our F-car gatherings, but that little OSCA does look quite good!

Regards,
    Bill

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh yes, I absolutely agree. That's a very cool car and I had no issues with it being there, was just curious.

Actually I'd love to see a Fiat Dino, a Lancia Thema, a Lancia Stratos or a Ansa at one of these events. That's why I got a kick out of that Alfa at last year's Belle Macchina.

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If there are Allante's,then perhaps a Rolls Camargue is just as suitable....