OBD II MIL, $99 Fix | FerrariChat

OBD II MIL, $99 Fix

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    After searching the archives for sometime, there was no unequivocal consensus on the ability to reset a Check Engine Light on the 1998 Spider. Most said that you could do it with a generic OBDII scanner while others stated that you would need a SD-2 (Ferarri Propietary).

Well I bit the bullet and went into my local Kragen Auto Parts store. They had the Innova Model #3100 on sale for $99.00 ( it is regularly $129.00). After spending 1 minutes to unpack the scanner, 1 minute to put the batteries in it, and 1 more minute to hook it up and scan/clear the codes, it is done: My Check Engine Light is off!

There were two stored codes: 1) PO410, secondary air injection malfunction. 2) PO 140, O2 sensor no activity detected. I got lucky as they were both P0 codes (generic) versus P1(Manufacturer Specific).

I am not going to keep this handy dandy OBDII scanner in my tool box, this baby is going in my trunk. Next time I "pop a code" I can whip this baby out on the road (not driving of course) LOL, and I will be able to reset my MIL and see if it something serious (provided it is a P0 code).

If anybody nees an OBDII scanner, head down to your local Kragen and they are on sale. Heck the way these F-Cars trip Check Engine Lights they should include it with the car, LOL.

Cheers

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    great find!

--Dan

PS: How did you know what codes are what?

3. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    For $99.00 it even came with a book. The P "zero" codes are generic and are all listed in the book. The P "one" codes are F-car specific and I have yet to see a list for the 355 (someone Posted the list for a 348 recently).

4. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Excellent idea, does anyone here know what a good scanner (software for pc) would be and where to get it in the UK? Also where on a 348 or 360 would the connection be? Sounds like a great tool for checking on system parameters and also for track time.