News

OBD II MIL, $99 Fix

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ferrari Fanatic, Nov 3, 2003.

1. After searching the archives for sometime, there was no unequivocal consensus on the ability to reset a Check Engine Light on the 1998 Spider. Most said that you could do it with a generic OBDII scanner while others stated that you would need a SD-2 (Ferarri Propietary).

Well I bit the bullet and went into my local Kragen Auto Parts store. They had the Innova Model #3100 on sale for $99.00 ( it is regularly $129.00). After spending 1 minutes to unpack the scanner, 1 minute to put the batteries in it, and 1 more minute to hook it up and scan/clear the codes, it is done: My Check Engine Light is off!

There were two stored codes: 1) PO410, secondary air injection malfunction. 2) PO 140, O2 sensor no activity detected. I got lucky as they were both P0 codes (generic) versus P1(Manufacturer Specific).

I am not going to keep this handy dandy OBDII scanner in my tool box, this baby is going in my trunk. Next time I "pop a code" I can whip this baby out on the road (not driving of course) LOL, and I will be able to reset my MIL and see if it something serious (provided it is a P0 code).

If anybody nees an OBDII scanner, head down to your local Kragen and they are on sale. Heck the way these F-Cars trip Check Engine Lights they should include it with the car, LOL.

Cheers

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    great find!

--Dan

PS: How did you know what codes are what?

3. For $99.00 it even came with a book. The P "zero" codes are generic and are all listed in the book. The P "one" codes are F-car specific and I have yet to see a list for the 355 (someone Posted the list for a 348 recently).

4. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Excellent idea, does anyone here know what a good scanner (software for pc) would be and where to get it in the UK? Also where on a 348 or 360 would the connection be? Sounds like a great tool for checking on system parameters and also for track time.