430 - OBD II reads smog passed, then reverts to checking EVAP/CAT | FerrariChat

430 OBD II reads smog passed, then reverts to checking EVAP/CAT

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Oct 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'm finally close to getting past inspection, but have run into a funny issue. When I follow the instructions to have everything pass for smog, I'll get a smog passed on my OBD II. However, it then goes back to waiting on evaporative system/catalyst.

Here's what has happened so far. BTW car only has aftermarket Fabspeed headers and Trev360's ECU flash.
    • Finally get prior CEL issues sorted for good in Louisiana. Drive the car following the instruction to be smog ready, and get the green light on the OBD II. Not wanting to have to start over, I transport my car back home without unplugging the battery.
    • 2-3 weeks later and after a few drives, I go get inspection. They tell me I failed because EVAP/Cat check still not ready. I leave confused bc I swore it had passed on my OBDII. After getting home and checking, sure enough OBD II had those two items yellow
    • Sunday - I run through instructions again until I get the green pass. Drive it, go home and that's it.
    • Tuesday - I turn the car on... run the OBD II, sure enough, EVAP/Catalyst back to yellow, need to keep running the car. So I run through the instructions....key off, key on, smog pass again. I go straight to the inspection shop, don't turn off the car. Inspector plugs in, and it's still pending EVAP/Cat.
    At this point I have no clue how to proceed. Do I just need to drive for 30 miles at 35mph, 2500 RPMS, in 4th and hope it sticks? Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Cat check OK took long drive ~40mph + below 3k RPM on my 996TT (no wild throttle angles too). Did you ask Trev what he has done in the ECU? Some flash will never be ready or that could be part of the code to clear on key off. Evap check should run after key off and takes a duration (from what I've read) but should not clear itself.

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

#3 VAF84, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    @Sj_engr

I've been messaging with Trev, he feels it is best to re-flash with his latest updates since this flash was done last December, which he reiterates will get monitors ready. However, I'd have to pay a discounted rate for the new flash and the purpose of the original ecu flash I ordered was primarily to insure that all monitors would be ready to meet inspection requirements nationwide, and secondary for the performance aspects. I also have no way of knowing if it's fault of the flash. So far he's been responsive and has tried to help me out with my questions.

Although I'm considering this, I'm wondering if I can just get this thing ready if I once again add extenders... or I'm considering going back to a stock ECU and extenders since that worked before the flash. The problem was that the extenders just kept falling out after being tightened multiple times. I hate to do that and eat the money I've spent, but also reluctant to double down. I mean car drives amazing, and no CEL's, just needs to pass inspection.