Occasional vibration | FerrariChat

Occasional vibration

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Dec 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    This has always puzzled me, occasionally there will be a very deep and obvious vibration for 5 seconds or so, feels like it is coming from underneath the car. I notice it most often when operating the top, although it will occasionally do it at idle in other places. I'm wondering if it might be some sort of hydraulic pump that is activating to keep the pressure up as required, anyone else experience this? this has been going on for a long time, and everything works correctly with no errors, but it occurred to me that my old AWD Porsche 993s would do this on startup and once in a while, as well, feels like the same sort of vibration.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When this happens with your Cali, would you have also just started up the engine, like with your old 993?

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    No, it will happen randomly ... most often operating the top which makes me wonder if there's a hydraulic pump that's trying to pressurize ...

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, it helps a lot if you can readily reproduce it.

To begin with, has your car always done this, ever since you got it? This can shed light on whether it is age-related or related to some event that occurred during your ownership.

Have you stopped the roof mid-way to see if that stops the noise? Once you hear it, have you tried cycling the roof repeatedly to see if the noise happens with every cycle? Does it happen with the roof-up or the roof-down action, or both?

Sometimes you have to wait till these intermittent problems get worse or more frequent before you can zero in on them.

I'm also wondering if battery condition may be a factor - I know, we're sick of postulating battery issues! All the same, a weak battery can cause a motor to work harder, causing a noise. It helps if you can check and rule out the battery.

Bandit23 likes this.
  5. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Hmmm. Have you checked your trans and engine mounts?

6. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010

7. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Have dealer check engine mounts. Had the same problem. Changed mounts problem gone.