Official 250 GT SWB pictures thread | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Official 250 GT SWB pictures thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Christian.Fr, Mar 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BtvFerrari

BtvFerrari Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    cluboutrun likes this.
  2. nico308

nico308 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2011
    there is a 3 parts article in the Ferrari Belgio magazine numbers 10-11 and 12 with pictures of the car before and during the restauration when Vincent Gaye bought it .Also an article in Cavallino magazine 202.

BtvFerrari likes this.
  3. Jack59

Jack59 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 1, 2018
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Jacques Houriet
    Hello nico308,

I tried to find these Belgian magazines on eBay, but I failed…

I am collecting all the books and reports about the 250 SWB in English and French since 5 years. Some in Italian and German as well. I have quite a collection so far.

Could you imagine making pics or copies about this 3 parts article and send them to me by mail...?

:D

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    AtomicPunk88, F40org, JAM1 and 7 others like this.
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    1757 GT.

readplays likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    old italian license plate? I wonder ! ! !

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is a not so good reproduction, not the genuine old plate.

Marcel Massini

lgs and turbo-joe like this.
  8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    So this here is not 1757 GT after all, or are you just referring to the plate?

roma1280 likes this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My post 507 is referring to the license plate.
    It is my answer to the remark of "turbo-joe", who asked about the "old Italian license plate" (his post 506).

Marcel Massini

roma1280 and miurasv like this.
  10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you very much for the clarification.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Maybe this is a controversial question but if you didn’t make the money to buy this car and it was given to you/inherited, is it more likely you will drive it around town at night and leave it parked on a street where a drunk octogenarian in a Rolls Royce might crash into it?

12. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    In broad terms, this is a Monteverdy interesting question.

tritone likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #513 TTR, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Perhaps more importantly, at least in my mind, regardless how they obtained one, why would anyone bother using (or wasting ?) something like this for going to dinner in the city ?
    Weren't these all intended and made for long distance, high speed leisure travel (= Gran Turismo) type driving with occasional racing in between ?
    ;)

And low & behold, should some collision happen in any of the aforementioned cases, isn't that what proper insurance coverage/policy is for ?

roma1280 likes this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Is that a chrome strip around the grill or just paint?

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Chrome strip.

Marcel Massini

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    looks more like polished aluminum like the bumpers.

18. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I find this question interesting. Part of me thinks if you’ve legitimately got the money to have a swb you should drive it without reservation. Even if it were hit the damage would be repairable and as much as these cars are rolling art, they should be driven and enjoyed. But the other part of me is aware to a much lesser degree (modest collection of cars) in how an owner cam feel responsible as a custodian of the car and it’s originality. Truth be told that dilemma is what keeps me from buying something like a comp 275 or even a F40, let alone a swb… I’d want to drive it but I’m not sure I could get past the concern of having it damaged while I owned it which may ruin the experience of attaining said car in the first place.

amenasce, Edward 96GTS and roma1280 like this.
  19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Interesting pov. I agree with your 1st one. If I worked my ass off to the point I was able to spend $10m for just one car, I would definitely drive it as much as I could. Bring on Tour Autos, Modena Cente Ore, Spa classics, Cavalcade etc. Chances are the car is no longer original anyway so if it crashes, it will be rebuilt in Modena or by Motion Products etc.

roma1280 likes this.
  20. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Marcel you must have been 3 years old when you took these pictures. You don’t look old enough to have taken pictures 45 years ago!

Marcel Massini likes this.
  21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    my pov, if you are worth $50m then its the same as if you were worth $1m back in 1963.
    so do what they did and drive the hell out of it and enjoy life before your wife lets Mecum auction it.

roma1280 likes this.
  22. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    There is a lot of room between not using it and trashing it. Not using it does not serve the purpose of owning an automobile - literally speaking, it is a moving object- unless you are a static museum owner. Trashing it does not serve the purpose either , unless you are Monteverde and winning at all cost is your goal.
    You can use your car on the road , you can take it to events on the road or on the track, and I believe the risks are slightly lower than with a modern super car as the risk of the car being stolen is reduced as demand and ability to resell are reduced.
    I did 12 MM, had one broken engine (424/564MD) one bang ( 310MM, in Florence , at a traffic light, car behind - a KIA- was hit by car behind it and hit me standing. )Small damage but 60 k euros for full repaint as the car was out of full repaint! Paid by their insurances.
    Did 15 tour auto, two broken engine , 7781GT ( valve dropped at le Castellet) and 2563GT, poor engine preparation for the car I had just bought,,,
    MCO one broken engine in Lancia Stratos which had done 3 TA before and some other races,,those blocks don’t age very well under high revs stress. Le Mans classic (5x with multiple cars each time) one engine in 300S Maserati, as we lost oil through a defective plug .
    So lesson is that the risks to use the car is very limited if you are not over doing it, and I am talking of probably more than 100,000 km done with classics cars , Ferrari and others. The mechanical risks are inherent to using the car, specially if you are racing them or pushing them to what they were designed for.
    I remember meeting some American participant at the first ( and only !!) 275 tour in 2004 who was complaining his car was misfiring, but also told me he never went over 3500 rpm. Told him I am running engines to 7500 rpm and they are clean. But they need rebuild from time to time. My Alfa GTA engines ( I have 2, Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login twin plugs, built by the wonderful Facetti brothers, both in their eighties,) develop 170 bhp, up to 8500 rpm but need rebuilt every 15-20 race hours depending how much you rev them. Driving it at Mugello next week,,,with some other cars,,,

23. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Fantastic post, thank you.

readplays likes this.
  25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed