"Official 365 GTC/4 pictures" thread ? | Page 13 | FerrariChat

"Official 365 GTC/4 pictures" thread ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Jan 29, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I've mentioned it before, but couple of years ago I fabricated couple of different modified exhaust system setups for a Daytona and conducted several noise/sound level tests by driving same routes, speeds and two different onboard decibel meters in three different cars.
    I documented all by video recording each session.
    My wife edited them into a wonderful compilation, showing each systems decibel level in same gear, same engine & vehicle speeds of each car on same road sections (Sorry, I'm not going to post them here or elsewhere on the interweb).

These video recorded sessions also proved my belief that under "normal"(?) driving conditions/scenarios, 4th or 5th gear or synchronizers for them in a Daytona (and likely C/4) should never see any use or wear. ;):p

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Hi Timo , those oil filters in my opinion , although the correct colour and good on flat 12's have been avoided by some mechanics due to the fact that they do not hold oil in when installed vertically in that manner. Others do. There are white ones and a brighter red one. I have been told by mechanics that it is not good at starting time to have empty oil filters. Also, those white ignition leads covers are usually trimmed half way to reveal the actual red leads up to the plugs covers.( But this is purely cosmetic.) ....and carb links and fuel lines need some tender loving ;-)

4. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Even the cheapo (correct) Frams have a standpipe so the filters will be full of oil when startup takes place.
    I have run UFI and Baldwin filters for many years without any concerns, although the last GTC/4 I bought was fitted with Fram filters.... which I promptly replaced. Lots of write-ups here about reasons to avoid Fram filters.
    I do not know what was the correct appearance from the factory....... seems like they were white (UFI) or red (Baldwin).

Bowzer likes this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Marcus & Mike,
    The topic of engine oil filters has been discussed more than once, probably to ad nauseaum, even recently, during which some experienced and highly(?) regarded mechanics expressed their alarming claims about the doom & gloom a certain make & model filter has historically presented to vintage Ferrari engines, including causing total destruction to many, yet none of them were actually able to provide any clear & decisive evidence when I asked for it, although other era engines & filter brands were offered as “proof”(?).
    I too expressed my reasons & views for using the filters seen in that image and not interested going through that confusing/fruitless/pointless debate again.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Marcus, if you research (like I did) numerous period and/or unrestored vehicle images of C/4 engines, you might find that spark plug wires originally on them were likely covered with white sleeving through almost the entire length of each wire, from the plug end to very near of distributor cap.
    Plug wires on the 365 GTB/4 engines OTOH, were and IMO, for authenticity reasons, should be "sleeved" only about halfway up from the plug ends.

And while there are no "fuel lines" visible in my image, the carburetor linkage components, IMO, are actually in relatively nice with still correct OEM finishes & aesthetically pleasing condition for a one owner, 44K mile, unrestored, always garaged/pampered car.

7. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Certainly NOT trying to start another oil filter debate, Timo. I, too, have read all the posts about them and am satisfied to use the Baldwins, whether their appearance is OEM or not.:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Now for something a little more on track...... periodically tighten those banjo fittings on the carbs, Seems like once a year or so, I need to check them and a few are always snug, but not tight!

8. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    #308 Bowzer, Jul 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
    Timo, we the owners and drivers who are not instructed in engineering and do try to avoid any risky decisions for our marvels ( that is what we think of them ). When we hear or read about a disposable part which could have the least of risks as mentioned towards our beloved engines, we tend to choose using the others which have never been mentioned to pose any risk. That is all. I had Fram on mine and chose to change for UFI.

9. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Timo , I do not want to create any bad feelings , really, I do like to read your learned comments, but saying that after research '' were likely.......................... '' , does not sound quite certain. But having now seen what Ferrari show on their website for the cars engine, yes the plug leads seem to be covered in white all the way ;-) Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #310 TTR, Jul 6, 2024
    No bad/hard feelings at all Marcus.
    One thing I have learned after 45 or so years of owning, researching and working on 50+ year old, vintage (production) cars, be they Ferraris or any other make, is that there usually are no certainties on how they were originally constructed or equipped during their respective manufacturing processes.

For example, to my understanding Daytonas were in production for over 4 years and were generally constructed in about 50-100 car batches every few months or so. While I never was at or anywhere near the Factory at that time they (or C/4s) were manufactured, according to most “experts”, owners or researchers they (Daytonas) came with two different brands of heater hose, but after observing, researching & working on them myself for about 20 or so years, I’ve become fairly certain there were likely at least one other (third) brand of heater hose used in them. Maybe more ? A lot can happen in 4+ years.
    And as I’ve said before, I could fill a book or few of countless similar examples I’ve documented/learned from not only Daytonas, but several other make & model vintage cars I own, have owned, researched or worked on over the past 4+ decades (and continue to learn about more almost daily, now including C/4s :)).

Secondly, and as I’ve also pointed out before, using any manufacturers, including Ferraris, designing, engineering or pre-production (marketing) images or information is not a guarantee the actual production details or features came out the same.
    Besides, the white plug wire sleeves in the image you posted do not appear to go “all the way” to the distributor cap. ;)

P.S. In the past year & half, I’ve been learning a lot about 810/812 Cords, especially about their synchronized 4-speed transaxles and their external (electrical & vacuum reliant) control/operating systems as I’m currently working on my second one. Absolutely amazing & fascinating mechanical/technical marvel, especially for their time (& no wonder the endeavor failed).

Bowzer likes this.
  11. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Oh, I just bothered to look at the plug side this time assuming they are right from the Distributer cap ( One only, mine is a Euro model ;-) )

TTR likes this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #312 TTR, Jul 6, 2024
    See, paying attention to details matter (as a restorer with an OCD, an habitual/occupational hazard for me). ;):)

P.S. For the white sleeving reference, look at the black & white Road & Track(?) photo Christian posted earlier on this thread OR this one of the many pictures of original/unrestored, low mile example cars I've found/received privately from several sources in past few months (according to the owner who also bought it new, the wires have allegedly never been changed).

Bowzer likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks to wonderful advise from "DRW46" years ago, I've been applying a VERY THIN coat/layer of anaerobic sealant (Loctite 518) to both sides of any fuel related alloy/copper/fiber seal-rings in fuel rails, tank drains, etc and never since had leakage/seepage problems.

YMMV.

14. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, yeah, that car definitely has what I like to call “The Vibe” (feels like something from the period from which it hails from); I really like those port plugs…:)

— Alex

TTR likes this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #315 TTR, Jul 21, 2024 at 3:23 PM
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2024 at 3:32 PM
    Bowzer likes this.
  16. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Would be good and nice to know the difference in feel from the Daytonas you have driven before , except for the steering wheel, suspension and the few inches in rear length. I have never driven a Daytona.

17. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Does the car suffer from access heat to the carbs , being without the factory air boxes ?

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    One of these days, perhaps after a few more experiences with a C/4 or few, I’ll write a bit more detailed and extensive comparison summary.

Not that I know or noticed, but I don’t have enough experience with C/4’s to say for sure.
    I just had the velocity stacks mounted without the air cleaner housings for the ease of initial balancing & tuning after a complete fuel system overhaul, including carburetors.
    All had been worked on before by someone else and were a bit of a mess (I have copies of those invoices/work orders :( ).
    Same with ignition system.
    Both now sorted and working well, as proven by yesterday’s drive.
    I still have couple of more diagnosis/tests to conduct and apply remedies, if needed, before she earns a clean bill of health.

Bowzer and Zanny1 like this.