Official book collectors thread | Page 101 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    If you want information about the Man and the history of his company, the book 'Enzo Ferrari: Power, Politics and the Making of an Automobile' recently released by Luca Dal Monte is a must read.

tifoso2728, NürScud, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  2. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Central IN, USA
    How is it? Does it go into much detail, or is it pretty generic?

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you very much about the infos.

:)

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    It's all right here...
    David Bull Ferrari Bio

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, a lot of detail with tech specs as well. From an enthusiast's point of view (as intended) and authored by Francesco Reggiani and Keith Bluemel, it's worth every penny.

However, I pre-paid for a lot more than what it costs when it was released. Lesson's Learned...

GirchyGirchy likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Interesting book, rather thicker (256pp) than other Haynes in my collection, and more expensive as a result. Each of the 15 engines selected by Reggiani is given 16 pages of coverage, the last 2 of which are about the car the engine was used in, and the preceding 2 showing the complete engine. Most of the rest show the components, all photographed against a black background. Apparently Reggiani visited a number of shops in northern Italy to find engines being rebuilt and brought his portable photo studio with him. It appears that Bluemel's main job in this was essentially as a proofreader, to make sure that Reggiani got his historical facts right. Note that these are all road car engines; maybe if the book sells well, Haynes might be persuaded to do a companion volume about Ferrari competition engines.

Although there is a lot of technical information in the book, I think of it more as an "art book" showing the beauty of Ferrari's mechanical craftsmanship.

GirchyGirchy and Wade like this.
  7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I have the book too. I think most picture work was done in Photoshop by isolation/extraction from background.
    I like the book for its informative content, but the picture style is not diversified and gets tedious soon.

Best from Germany
    Martin

8. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    It's certainly not a book for reading, in the traditional sense of reading. However, it is an informative reference work.
    A big disappointment, for me, was that even though it says on the cover "15 iconic Ferrari engines from 1947..." it does not actually cover the 125 engine of 1947, or even the 166. It begins with the 195 Inter of 1949.
    Nathan

9. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hi Martin, according to the photos on pgs 6 & 7 they set up temporary black cloth photo booths, which would mean that there was no need for photoshopping. (Not that it really matters) The lighting seems to me (an amateur) to be very well executed.
    Nathan

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Nathan,

I have seen it. I just don't believe all, what's printed/written (any more) ;-)

Best from Germany
    Martin

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Doug23 and -CD- like this.
  13. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    The outside looks great, but what about the book. Anything new? I was not too impressed with the brochure.

14. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have over hundred Ferrari books, it is hard to find really new content in new books
    but at first sight i saw several pics i never seen before and i will post a review when i have read ist.
    Unfortunately we working on our new house and i will finally read it after our move in. :)

Juli likes this.
  15. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Many thanks, looking forward to your assessment.

16. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    I've had the opportunity to see the book in the Taschen Store in Amsterdam. The book indeed looks amazing. The book is beautifully made in leather and the box of course looks fabulous.

However i have seen only a few unseen pictures. You have to decide if the bargain price tag of at least €5000,- is worth the purchase.
    As an collectors item definitely 'yes', for it's content unfortunately a 'no'...

Maarten

17. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Thank you, Maarten.

18. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    The book is great but it´s all about the case. ;)

Rosey and jm2 like this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    As I mentioned before with the Opus, they are not a great collectors items in regards to an increasing value asset. Due to the high expense of the book and relatively high production numbers, from a collectors point of view, nearly 99% of them will remain with the box, papers, in mint condition and will still exist in around 50 years time.

As opposed to the many high quality yet cheaper Ferrari published books that over a period of time of get damaged, lost or destroyed making them more valuable to collectors, increasing in value.

Here is a great article illustrating the point...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/anything-goes/best-motoring-books-appreciating-classics

P.S I do actually own a standard Classic issue Opus but not the Taschen.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi Mark,
    that's a great article. Thanks for posting the link.
    Owning approx. 400 motoring books collected over some 3 decades I never again experienced the wow-effect I had after purchasing 'Ferrari in Camera' in 1996 for GBP 300.00. If someone would force me to give away all my books, allowed to keep one, I would choose definitely FiC.
    Since back then things got over the top IMHO. If the outer appearance -case, binding, bling-bling- of the book tries to outperform the content -like this Taschen book- I'm out of the game.
    I second the great quote from your posted article: "Some Ferrari books are a criminal waste of trees".

Time to clear out me shelf once again. I do this once in a while. Otherwise I would run out of space :) ebay is great.

Best from Germany
    Martin

bloomberg, Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Couldn't agree more with this!

22. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Pleased to present the covers of my next publication. The book will be published with two different covers. One features the 550, and the other features the 575. Contents are the same, so the buyer can choose. The book should launch at Retromobile.
    Nathan

Attached Files:

Doug23, maximilien, Fernardi and 8 others like this.
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The 550/575 book looks nice. It always amazed me that other than the Pro Drive cars all the 550/575 race versions were poorly designed and rather off the pace. That includes the "factory" assisted/contract built cars. Here are two of the slow cars, one sponsored by Olive Garden that I took at Sebring before it received it's full colors and the "factory contract built" 575 that was a real disappointment. I also took at Sebring in I think 2004 at it's first major race. It should have stayed home :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

piloti and jm2 like this.
  24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #2525 Jack-the-lad, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    I'm looking forward to it, Nathan. A comprehensive work on these great (speaking from experience) cars is long past due.

Is it possible to place a pre-publication order?

Thank you.

Jack.