Official Countach Value Thread | Page 212 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5276 cnpapa24, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What were the spec on it?

3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    That looks very nice

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    doesnt indicate mileage

5. Yeah, I don't see the mileage either.

6. derekfc

derekfc Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Wrong wheels
    Funky interior stuff happening

Bid got to 250 but maybe sold post auction?

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  8. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    #5284 jollygood, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Very interesting color

10. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Original color?

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I just noticed John’s blog:

http://wearecurated.com/lamborghini-countach-classic-supercar/

Complete with numbers:

Temerian Countach Scale of Importance

• 1976-1977 Lamborghini Countach Periscope Cars – $800,000-1,500,000.00
    • 1986-1988 Lamborghini Countach FIA Downdraft Cars – $600,000.00-850,000.00
    • 1978-1981 Lamborghini Countach “Low Body” Cars – $400,000.00-900,000.00
    • 1982-1985 Lamborghini Countach 5000S – $350,000.00-550,000.00
    • 1986-1988.5 Lamborghini Countach QV USA Spec – $280,000.00 – 400,000.00
    • 1989 Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary – $250,000.00-$380,000.00

He sells a fair number of Countachs so it's good to have this feedback.

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #5288 geno berns, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    I think the low number for the DD’s is little high as I believe lower quality cars can be had at $450-500k. The low body car’s price range should be further broken down based on the 3 verients of low bodies but also quality, i.e. S3 cars don’t sell for $900k. Lastly a real good DD Anni will be higher than $380k

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    From my current involvement on the Private Treaty side, I'm good with all his numbers except I would flip the 25th's position with the Fuelie's, and leave the numbers as is. I think his LP400S numbers are pretty fair for the entire range of Series 1/2/3 cars, but FWIW LP400S S3 1121316 did sell for in excess of $900k and I daresay if another similarly well-restored example came to auction it could possibly be duplicated.

14. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Interesting, beeing both dd s, John and the red Canada car was bought in the low 300$

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

There is quite a range with all variants, another car sold at Bonham's a year ago in the mid-3s also, but since then it has resold at a much higher number.

Talking with specific chassis numbers (as opposed to "I know of a white car..."), I believe John's FLA12804 actually just sold for the best part of $600k including commissions, but I'll let him confirm that.

I've personally transacted cars such as GLA12858, GLA12942 and FLA122835 all in the $600ks.

I know that FLA12824 was purchased in the $600ks, and I also know that JLA2305 was sold for $1 million.

In the current ask market, GLA12948 asks @ $650k, and FLA12808 asks @ $1 million.

That's your 2-minute Downdraft market summary, a good formula would be that Downdrafts generally bring @ twice what Fuelies bring, and about two-thirds of what LP400 Periscopas do.

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    It would be interesting to know what exactly John tells his potetial clients if and when he gets a Countach inquiry, beeing the dd and fi are bothe ptetty much identical mecanical cars, with, of course different induction, does he tell them the fi does not run right? Or lacks power? Or has some sort of short coming? You tell me, my car runs absolutely fantastic, lower prod nmbrs than the dd, just as fast ,or faster,came down he same assembly line. Iow same car,but fuel injected by Bosch, think Carrera and everything else, where are the negatives? Should not you guys know better? Is this market based on ******** and brokers,selling cars to clients with no knowledge? Reliing on guys like John,? He seems like a nice guy, something in this concortion of stories makes absolutely no sense.plese explaine, thanks

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Today's buyer is well-informed and almost always comes with a clear idea of what variant they want, and how much they'll probably need to spend. This is not surprising given that we are in the information age. As such, not to speak for John, but I'd imagine he doesn't have to say too much to his clients to persuade them to go with one variant or another, the received wisdom is already established.

FWIW, for my part as an independent consultant, I am simply always asked for carbureted Countachs without exception. Some go as far as to make it clear that they do not want a Fuelie. There is a difference to most people, and it sounds to me that you simply don't accept that the Fuelie is worth less. That said, your opinion is both valid & appreciated, but is has no bearing on the market. Your notion that the Fuelie and the Downdraft are the same is being stated purely because you are a Fuelie owner, yet its clear to see that quite obviously they are not, the Downdraft is the pure original version, the most powerful production Countach ever made, and, most importantly, the market agrees that it is more valuable than a Fuelie. In my experienced opinion, given the trend for emerging collectors to be very selective, the established formula of Downdrafts bringing almost 2x the value of a Fuelie will only increase in future as buyers move towards obtaining the best experience.

Let's for a moment say that a gentleman wired you $600k specifically asking you to find him a Downdraft. Despite his stated parameters, you instead ship him a Fuelie telling him not to worry, it's the same thing. Think he would be cool with that?

18. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    This gentleman asked for a dd, i am ok with that, Watching Johns video reg the different variants of the Countach,there is buyers seeking true info,would you lie,in order to sell your dd?

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5295 joe sackey, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018

As I said above:

FWIW, for my part as an independent consultant, I am simply always asked for carbureted Countachs without exception. Some go as far as to make it clear that they do not want a Fuelie.

If someone ever asked me for a Fuelie one day, I would tell them exactly the facts as I know them to be based on years of experience and data available. No need for me to ever lie.

Meanwhile you have not addressed this specific question posed to you in a specific scenario:

Let's for a moment say that a gentleman wired you $600k specifically asking you to find him a Downdraft. Despite his stated parameters, you instead ship him a Fuelie telling him not to worry, it's the same thing. Think he would be cool with that? Would you be cool if you were the gentleman who sent me $600k asking for a Downdraft yet I sent you a Fuelie and told you not to worry, it's the same thing?

20. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The last time I saw the yellow Ct fuelie, it could barely run, was spot painted all over the car where the paint did not match at all and the shifter was broken. Ive known that car since it was new in South Florida.

Ellagirl, you should throw your Fuelie CT away, once Sackey got his DD all other Countach's became irrelevant.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In the past few years I've been involved with the sales of LP400, LP400S, LP500S and Downdrafts, I'm basically active with all the carbureted Countachs, in fact my website and my Cavallino magazine Ad states this.

22. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    If the gentleman asked for a dd, i would ship him a dd. If however he asked for info and a true unbiased fact based advice,i would tell him the facts,wich is what i stated many times, no need to repeat. Your oppinion differs from mine, no need to go any further in this tread between you and me. I respect your oppinion , but fully disagree. Sad, in this small group of car enthusiasts loving the one and only Countach.

23. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's just crazy.. You're finally making enough to take out an ad in Cavallino. Congrats!

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    But what would be wrong with shipping him a Fuelie instead?

After all, you claim they are basically the same thing.