Official Countach Value Thread | Page 227 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  3. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    Not a Super Fan of early cars,,,but that's a good looking Countach.

4. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If I had the money, I would. What a stunner!!! And I'm not a huge fan of the early cars. And brown, but my lord this looks good!

5. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'm not sure what you're saying?

7. Chadbourn Bolles

Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Got it.

I'll be happy to give you an estimate of the car's CMV as soon as I can review a full library of high-resolution images of all aspects of the car as it sits today, and review documents covering the car's full ownership & maintenance history.

9. Chadbourn Bolles

Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Carl Hartley has sold his super-low miles 25th:https://www.instagram.com/p/CAgGWiXhuQB/

The price was close to his asking number of £399,000 or roughly translated today that's $485,660.

Now we know the approximate value of an as-new 25th Anniversario.

CaptainFantastic and Spyder-Man like this.
  11. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Wow! Incredible result Joe.

We recently sold our Nero 1989 Countach 25th Anniversary with 5,500 miles for just under $300,000.

EarlyCat, Lemacc and joe sackey like this.
  12. I would put this in my catch of the day thread. I think 485k was a reasonably good deal for essentially a brand new dd. I have always thought a rhd car carried a small premium as well. Actually unless he drives the wheels off/condition changes, I think money can still be made on the car.

-rhd
    -near delivery miles, not many are left in this condition of any variant
    -mint original not restored, the car could serve as a reference for restorations
    -dd version
    -wing
    -black looks great on a Anni car.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I know that nobody will agree with me on this, but I think it’s a real shame if the new owner changes the state of that car. The car has made it this far as a genuine timepiece, and it should stay that way. There are plenty of 25ths to buy and drive, so why take a museum piece and diminish it? Again, I know nobody will agree with me, but I don’t see the point.

EMILIO and Ellagirl like this.
  14. Nope, I agree with you. I'm more of a drive & enjoy enthusiast, however on this car I would use it sparingly. It's a real time capsule.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for owners driving and enjoying their cars to their fullest, but certain (very few) are like this example. It has delivery miles! That's insane. I would have much preferred the new owners keeps it precisely as is, and shows the car at top concours. I for one would love to spend a considerable amount of time looking it over. If driving was his desire, there's a multitude of nice cars to satisfy that need.

16. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    I agree also. I think this is one Countach we know will now plumment in value. He paid $485K for it, when it gets a few thousand miles on it, it will be worth about what John T’s 25th sold for with 5500 miles on it (just under $300k). I seriously doubt it will retain the price paid value because “It was once the lowest mileage Countach in the World”.

17. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I agree, and that’s why a posted previously.
    Driving the piss out of this car , keeping it maintained, brings it to the level of other dd anniversary cars. All Countach’s are special, but this one will lose its cache.
    Only new once, this one happens to be new for 30 plus years

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5668 joe sackey, May 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
    All fair comments & opinions.

However, the reality is, the buyer's mindset as explained to me is very easy to understand. Basically, some people simply want to get their hands on the freshest most unmolested Countach possible, even though they are 30 years late because in 1989 they couldn't afford one. They want to turn back the hands of time and start the Countach journey with a virgin example as if taking delivery today, and, they have the means to buy the best and don't care one iota about future values.

That said, even those who promise to use a car weekly end up putting on a modest amount of annual mileage which slows down because of the reality of life with family and business obligations. Additionally, Countachs that are maintained in excellent condition tend to have values that defy the typical mileage effect and it becomes all about condition - ask someone who specializes in them. As EarlyCat says, unless he drives the wheels off, this car could be worth at least as much or more sometime in the future if the owner has longterm aspirations and knows how to look after his cars - this one does.

I have been approached by a number of enthusiasts who have asked me if I know of a delivery mileage Downdraft that's available, I don't, but my colleague Jean Guikas sold JLA12305 with delivery miles for a record sum to a gentleman who actually does use it regularly.

Another gentleman paid up for a 536 miles LP400S https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo14/monterey/lots/r114-1979-lamborghini-countach-lp400s-series-i/181109 under the same pretext I've mentioned above. Everyone on this forum said the car would never be used. However, he gave it a major service, and has proceeded to drive it over the last 5 years - see images below of the car in Monaco where it is regularly spotted. I doubt he is racking up that many miles but at least it is seen out quite often, underscoring the same desire by some people to start with a really virgin example, cost no object.

The notion that a delivery miles car cannot or should not be used is slightly stereotypical thinking IMO, we must remember that there is no right way or wrong way to engage the car hobby, only the owner's way. IMO the crime is not in using the car, the crime is always in not using the car whatever the mileage is, because, it's a car. The same is actually true of restored cars, some people restore so they can get a fresh car that they car enjoy which works like one should, I'm an example of that notion.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ciro Izzo, Tu160bomber and S_AGATA like this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5669 joe sackey, May 23, 2020
    You think the kid looking at the Countach is saying "OMG how can that man drive such a low-mileage Countach!?"

Nope.

He's just saying "OMG COUNTACH!!"

The car's owner is happy, the kid is happy, and all is good with the world.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ciro Izzo, EMILIO, Spyder-Man and 2 others like this.
  20. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    I remember 10 years ago, there were lots and lots of ultra low mileage anni cars, as people bought them as an investment in the late 80s and never drove them. Has something changed? Did people start driving these?

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Some are doing that.

From what I am seeing, the people buying low miles cars and using them are younger & affluent, they have a different mindset and want to recreate the experience they were not ready for all those years ago, that said, I bet you can still find some ultra low miles cars.

EMILIO likes this.
  22. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
  23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #5675 joe sackey, Jun 10, 2020
    mrp_e, Ciro Izzo and Peter K. like this.