Official Countach Value Thread | Page 228 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am partial to blue cars, so perhaps I am not alone.

Ciro Izzo and joe sackey like this.
  2. footsoldier

footsoldier Karting

Sep 18, 2009
    I bought my car, 400S2, with good timing just before values really went up last time round, and am expecting to watch them go down again now...
    Having said that, I think the blue 1066 is still pretty decent money for a car that’s not super low miles, and has sat still for 33years. There’s going to be a fair bit of recommissioning cost on top.
    In the last few years, the Countach has jumped from being an idiosyncrasy to a real collector car, and will be well placed to come back from whatever happens next.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

The top was @ 2016 and they have corrected since, that said they are holding up nicely and considering all that's going on in the world they seem like a sure thing being an asset that is rare, tangible, and one which you can drive for fun!

I look for certain examples and variants of the Countach to not be inexpensive in the future.

footsoldier and Spyder-Man like this.
  4. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    1066 did pretty well when you consider the car needs full mecanical overhaul (still since many years...so engine out, disassembly, change what needs ...same for gearbox and then you have brakes, suspensions...tyres). Then detailing, collect possibly missing books, tools, etc..
    when you finished it wll be well over 650k $ ...possibly 700k$ (ask me how i know ;) )

Michael Call, 33guana, ClaxNZ and 2 others like this.
  5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Correct. Actually closer to 750-$800k. Paint was said to need a redo as well. At that point where do you stop?

Michael Call, 33guana and Ciro Izzo like this.
  6. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    You don’t. It’s a full resto candidate.

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think that Blu Acapulco color didn't hurt.

Ciro Izzo and EMILIO like this.
  8. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
  9. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
  10. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    damn, only driven 600 km in 10 years.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    This was a nice deal for the buyer.

This car had 3 basic things working against it:

1. It has been for sale continuously for at least five (5) years, here's Chris Harris sitting in it when it was for sale multiple dealers ago at Dick Lovett Nothing diminishes an Italian classic or sports cars desirability more than having it constantly for sale bouncing from dealer to dealer.

2. RHD limits the car's market in today's global world (unless you live in the UK, Australia, NZ etc).

3. Most Countach buyers do not want one with side-skirts, unless they have other Countachs and want a side-skirted one in addition.

Still, a nice score for a Countach with great provenance, let's hope the new owner drives the wheels off it!

Ciro Izzo, EMILIO and Spyder-Man like this.
  12. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    agreed...
    add rosso-champagne or rosso-senape is not the first choice for most countach buyers today

13. ClaxNZ

ClaxNZ Karting

Dec 1, 2012
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    $345,000 sounds about the right ask to me, again, this car is RHD so that limits the market, and it is in a color some might absolutely love (I do) but others may not want for a Countach 25th.

ClaxNZ likes this.
  15. silverlambo

silverlambo Karting

Oct 16, 2012
    Rancho Santa Margari
    Full Name:
    Dan Ellis
    My car is a 1984 5000S with 21,000 KM . would that be considered low or average mileage?

16. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Very low to me!

silverlambo likes this.
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In the grand scheme of things of course 21,000 km is low for any 36-year-old car, that said, it's average for a Countach as there any many which were not driven much and have lower mileage.

silverlambo likes this.
  18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    EarlyCat and Ciro Izzo like this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The ex-Robert Rusie FLA12806 as reported on in the Downdraft thread years ago is finally back on the market, it's particularly good to see it rescued to it's standard original specification, but make no mistake, it's still a project car.

https://www.artcurial.com/en/lot-1985-lamborghini-countach-5000-qv-m1076-642#popin-active

Incorrect repaint missing the blackout along the bottom of the side-sills seams.

Caulking missing around the rear tail-lights.

Warped front bumper.

Mesh screens missing from front bumper.

Carello driving lamps tarnished.

Missing OZ Route wheel stickers.

Padding on side bolsters and center transmission tunnel requires replacement and the original foam material has perished.

Interior require reconditioning & connolizing.

Original shift knob missing.

Evidence of water or humidity damage in passenger footwell, requires treatment.

General cleaning and conditioning of all components, switches and gauges (these need to be tested for possible recalibration) on the interior, ditto engine bay to cover fittings and clamps.

The above is from images, upon personal inspection expect this list to double.

This Countach has followed the path of many collector cars in the past 10 years, purchased by speculators (often parading as collectors) with a view to reselling, in this case based on the purchase price, there isn't a profit to be made. That said, most speculators appear to have have run for the hills at this point, so there's a good chance this car will find a long-term enthusiast home at a price point that allows for the work described above to be done.

20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Let’s hope

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    My son & I are consistently seeing that buyers in 2020 have long-term aspirations, many of whom have collections large & small from which they haven't sold a car in years, if you've been doing it long enough and look closely you can see changes in the ownership landscape.

22. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Joe so am I that speculator parading as a collector? Or are you referring to the buyer of this car I sold it too?

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not you, I'm just making an observation about collector cars in the past 10 years purchased by speculators often parading as collectors with a view to reselling, which as we all know is true.

24. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    You said this Countach has followed a path so I thought I’ll ask. From what I know about the car is that I sold it soon after purchase where I made a choice not to restore it and keep a DD I already had as I didn’t need two DD’s. I debated as white/white is my favorite color combo. The current owner, who I assume is the same person I sold too, has cleaned it up got it running and hopefully drove the car and enjoyed it for the last 5 years they owned it. Unless I am missing some thing that’s not exactly an act of a typical speculator. The second of the two Countaches bought together with this car I still own.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You made a good choice keeping the excellent Downdraft you have.