Official Countach Value Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great points. The swapping of components by itself seems harmless and is obviously for personal satisfaction. But I second the motion that when collectors "cannot see the wood for the trees" it is a turn-off and inevitably the overall marketplace suffers.

These Countachs are all classics now, all automotive works of art at this point, and they cry out to be preserved in original guise. Naturally this is not an issue that can be forced because "each to their own" applies here and the owner can do what they want. But there are overall market consequences for hot-rodding Countachs with non-original components or specification. Put it this way - it does nothing to help.

2. RPMMarcus

RPMMarcus Karting

Feb 18, 2012
  3. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I agree 100%, but I think it is a stretch to compare the mounting or perior correct wheels, which can easily be exchanged in minutes AND is disclosed then the "after market" major trasformation of a FI car to a DD car, that is in-correct.

On the bright side, if it keeps some away from buying these cars and going with a F car..for me, GREAT, I have no desire for any F car and it just means more chances for me to get L cars LOL

As far as the vins, I am at home, dont have them with me and to be quite honest I really dont memorize the vin#s of my cars..The Blue 88 1/2 DD, at one time was advertised by Joe, it belonged to Avery, which Joe brokered that Deal...so I am sure he has it and he is welcome and has my permission to post it..I will get the S2 car one up as well when I return to work after the Holiday...nothing to hide on it...and I am SURE there will be someoen with info on it of one type or another..?

4. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Thanks..that clear up why 2 sets of the Dish wheels I have are stamped with OZ as well as sixe and Lamborghini word on the edge..the ones off of the S2 are not stamped by OZ..

Where both manufactures of the same material, same exact sizes..any noteable differences between the two manufactures..?

5. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    LOL now now, I consider myself an enthusiast as well...a licensed Dealer also, but second..I prefer to think the mass produced later cars, which I deal in quite a bit, fuel my bank account to buy and hold onto the older ones or have more money thrown into them that I can expect to get back as I wish to nahg onto them for a period of time..

BUT, yes, as you, if the correct price comes around..EVERYTHING at a given point becomes available for sale..BUT, I guess then Joe and ME, will have exceeded our own suggestions of the price market and will be the exact CAUSE of what Joe refers to as causing the un-stable price marketing of the Lamborghini..

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I do think they were both magnesium but perhaps someone knows better than I...

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Amen.

8. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I think when I get back to the shop, then next thing I will do, which I have not yet is weight them...see if there is a difference between the S2 Dish and later 87 FI car stamped OZ Dish wheels..

Also, can anyone chime into, or thoughts as far as reliabilty or safety/performance of a Bravo wheel compared to the early S2 Dish wheels..?

Also, agian not a tire expert, but were the orginal wheels/tire not P7 205, becuse the new ones on the car are p I think 225 or 235 something like that, would that size difference make the car appear or sit higher..??

9. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Enjoy the thread Marcus, I myself have taken the time to read the entire thread annually. It is interesting to revisit the discussion to see where new information has blown the dust off of some obscure Countach subject, enhancing our understanding of how they were built and enjoyed.

That thread is probably one of the better sources of Countach information available today, at least until Joe's book on the Countach follows on after his current Miura book offering, his upcoming 288GTO tome.

Right Joe? Please? :D

10. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I think one thing, at the point of this thread, we can all come to one conclusion..

A good decent opertive and correct countach of any type and year is no longer under the 100K mark..I think the time of a $70-$75K car, as little as 12 months ago is long gone..and IMO there appears to be no signs of them coming back down, only going up in the years to come..

I think when Joe sold the first Lambo for the 7 figure mark that was a great Day for the brand, (if value/investment is your main objective). I only see these cars, all of them from the 2001 Diablo 6.0 and back becoming more and more of a known value and collectabilty cars.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I hate to be involved with taking any credit for the Countach thread but since you (& many others) have suggested its a good source, Id like to humbly suggest that I agree completely. For me personally its firstly about enthusing, sharing information and helping the marketplace. And if that helps my business too that's great.

As regards the books, I go one at a time. The Miura book took 8 years to get off my desk, the 288 GTO book took 4 years. So they are a major commitment in time & effort alongside everything else I have going on in my life. I dont think I will be thinking of doing a Countach book anytime soon though, and judging by all the vacation plans my wife has planned for us for the next year, I'm getting the hint of where what little of my spare time should be going. After 21 years of marriage I take hints very well :)

12. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    dont be so modest.
    You are a great resource of information

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you Jason.

14. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    A person has to have their priorities and keep them in the correct order, and it sounds like you've got yours exactly where they ought to be. I certainly can't besmirch your wife's desires, she takes such excellent photos!

15. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #140 gday, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    The point maybe valid and could have been made without enjoining any specific party.
    Thats not the issue. The car is not being marketed with any misrepresentation and its not being marketed with any intent to "confuse" the market etc etc.

-mick

16. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #141 Peter K., Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    The car was repaint the same color it was.....it was "ordered" with much darker blue BUT when the paint was taken down, it showed it was painted 4 or 5 time...all the same color. Could the ordered color be changed...most likely.

I recently contacted the original owner, says it looks like when he had it.
    He ordered the car. Kept it in Switzerland for a year. Brought to Los Angeles in 79. Kept it until 82.

Joe, you have the paper. Not unusual for the color to be changed before it left?

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    yes. I was following the 5000S price in the US last year at around the same time and it seemed that by summer the carb 5000S had just taken off with little suply. The 5000S was under 100K for a decent driver not that long ago.
    I am not sure a good no story no needs FI can be had at less than $100K today. The only cars I wonder about are the 5000S injected (prototype aside).
    Everything below the 90K ask mark these days seems to be a story car (work needed, apart, butchered etc...)..

18. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Yes, the dish style wheels on the S2 Countach were 100% magnesium. I made the mistake of striping a set to refinish them, what a fiasco that was!! There was about a half inch of some sort of filler that was used on them before they were painted to smooth out the roughness of the raw magnesium finish.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks very much for the clarification.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Countach qv used Roy's S2 as an example simply because it had been introduced to the thread by Roy himself kindly sharing it. No harm, no foul. I understand if its an issue for you.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Peter, anything is possible with Lamborghini of that era. At the end of the day somewhere on the car the original paint still remains and a very good body-shop can determine what it is.

22. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    #147 raymondQV, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    I don't know better but I have a rear wheel from Technomagnesia in my storage, should measure the weight.

Roy, only QV and 25th had 225's, yes the wider tires make them sit higher.

23. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I think this is a nice break-down.

24. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #149 geno berns, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    Joe-

Yes the QV DD is 2nd in the highest production numbers of all variants, but the limited availability of real unconverted cars in the US has made them desirable and pricey. I've heard there are only 15-18 real DD cars in the US. Not sure if that's true. There is the 455 hp that makes it also desirable for some. I know soon US owners will be able to import all variants into the US from Europe, with 1985 and some 1986 production QV DD's already eligible. I highly doubt that that will have any effect on value as they are not just giving them away over there across the pond. Than there is shipping and the high costs to get these cars in top condition that's always a factor. Until a some what rough wingless DD black car with gold stripes traded a few months back for what I thought was a lot of money, I don't believe there were many DD's that traded. I am doubtfull you can find a no stories mint condition top example (not the 88 1/2 or Anniv.) real Euro QV DD for $175K right now. At least I could not when I was in the market recently. If one can be found in that top category, highest quality low mileage car, I guarantee the number would need to start with a "2". If I am wrong, I would like some one to present me one that is available that can be bought for under $200K.

Geno

25. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I also can not understand the price difference of the two variants. As far as I know it's the production numbers, the gages, the steering wheel and the wheels that make up the differences of the two cars. If that's the case I see these as minor differences to have such a driving force in the desirability and therefore the price difference of the S1 and the S2 cars. They are so similar. It's like a 365 BB and a 512 BB. The production numbers and the driving characteristics of the 365 BB does not make the 365 BB cost twice as much as the 512 BB.

If it was up to me, there would be about a $25K difference in the low body S1 and S2 price variance. One of the reasons I offered what would surely be a world record for a stunning condition unrestored S2 recently is because I perceive the S2 cars to be worth on par with the S1 cars.

Geno