Official Diablo Value Thread | FerrariChat

Official Diablo Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Shark01, Feb 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I think the awakening of the market over the last year shows the time is right to have an ongoing converstaion of Diablo prices past, present, and future.

For my part, I focused pretty exclusively on Roadsters and 6.0s. 18 months ago, a good '99 10k mile roadster was valued at around $135k, with a similar 6.0s in the $140-$150k area.

Saw many '97, '98, and high mile (35k+) '99 roadsters below $100k.

Now it seems like the lower mile '97s and '98s trade at $150-160k and '99s at close to $200k, or more.

6.0s? Lots priced in the $300k area, but are they being sold there? I friend of mine had trouble finding a buyer at $135k less than 2 years ago.

Bubble? Probably, but when will it get a leak and what will prices settle down at?

2. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I purchased a black '91 Diablo a few months ago, I'm curious to see where values go from here, I seriously doubt early cars will ever go lower. In any case I love love love my car and don't ever see selling it. What an event it is every time I take it out. It makes my F355 seem pedestrian. I bought an early car for the clean styling, pop up headlights, and RWD. Three black early cars sold around the same time and the prices varied, but around $85-90K was all it took. I wouldn't sell mine for $100K today. I got priced out of the Countach market but I think an early Diablo isn't the next best thing, I think it's better. Still extremely raw, but a little more usable and more power.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wld be great to see a 3 handle print!

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I think the buy it now of $419k is overly optimistic. Shouldn't be much over $360k.

The market is being driven by credit. Once credit dries up, buyers will disappear. Fed raises interest rates (not likely the GDP figures being so dismal). Signs are pointing to another recession, credit will tighten. When that happens, classic cars will drop.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    credit? no shot. credit is tight, not loose. getting a mortgage is hard even for the best borrowers. no one is borrowing money to buy cars - that was very much during the era of ninja lending. zero interest rates are causing people to do things with their cash, but it's cash - not debt.

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #7 Shamile, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    ^^ this.

Credit is extremely tight. The people buying these cars are looking for a place to park cash. You have an overvalued market, a low rate environment dividends at 2-4% and a housing market stumbling along. What is there to put your money into?
    I knew something was up when I got 2 trade offers for 458's for my Diablo VT Roadster last year. Diablo and Testarossas are going up like crazy while 360's, 430's, and Murci's are going down fast.

Interesting that a previous poster says that 419k is way to much....should be 360k. Soooo......360k is considered normal now? lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

8. andecorp

andecorp Formula 3

Jun 5, 2005
    Melb
    Australian reference - my insurance company just bumped by insured values for my Roadster and my SV to AU$500k. Two years ago it was hard work to get an insurance company in Australia to agree to a AU$200k insured value.

Two years ago, you would find as many as 9 Diablos listed for sale at any one time and they would sit for a LONG time and then sell for peanuts. Now, there are none and when one pops up every few months, it sells literally within hours for full ask, full asks that are getting higher and higher.

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    It really comes down to numbers. Diablos are the last of the small production Lamborghinis. Even same era Ferrari numbers are so much higher.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I was asked by a broker last week if id be willing to trade by 98 diablo sv for a 2012 aventador - the answer was obvious!

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  12. andecorp

andecorp Formula 3

Jun 5, 2005
    Melb
  13. I'm not so convinced on the Murci (or Gallardo) market going down fast part. Most seem to be holding their ground from what I can tell. Sure the newer cars are going to depreciate, but the only deals I have seen have a reason - high miles/wreck/salvage/customized.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Would disagree as far as LP-640s. In Fall 2013, the roadsters were all $240-$250k cars. Now you can get them for $170-$180k.

That was an issue when I bought my '99 roadster around that same time, do I buy that or pay $120k more for all that horsepower. Just didn't like the rest of the car enough.

And now, that $120k difference has disappeared and the Diablo is worth more.

On the Gallardo side, I remember being in the dealer's office in December 2012 looking over a sheet of 2012 new LP-560s that were leftovers and being sold at $210k. Now those are like $175k.

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #15 Shamile, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    I've seen 360's go down from 98k to 68k, f430 spiders go from 178k now to 120k, early Murci's to 120k and l.p. 640's cross under 200k in just the last couple of months.
    I wonder if it's these newer cars that are most bought up by people even with good credit needing a loan but can't get one. While the collectors that have cash aren't interested in those but the classics.

Shamile
    Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    IDK man, I have a low mile '99 roadster, and if someone walked up and offered me that kind of swap, he might own a roadster.

17. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I really love the aventador! But that car is already off 100k in two years. When you go to cars.com you see 7 Diablos but 81! Aventadors for sale. You know where that car's valuation is headed. The cheapest one I've seen was for 315k .......granted, it was an ugly combo. Some guy in GA. was selling a really beautiful one with 5k miles for 339k.

I just don't understand why there are so many for sale with such low mileage. Are people not liking them? Or, is that level of customer so high that a couple of thousand miles is enough to get bored with it?

Shamile

Freeze. ...Miami Vice!

18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    It's not worth it. Sure the car is technically advanced but everyone has one. I hang out with a local Ferrari Lamborghini owners group and we meet once a month. It's all 430's, 458's l.p. 640's and g's. I'm the only guy there with a Diablo and a Roadster at that. People always come up and say that they've never seen one in person and that it's very over the top.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

19. I really suspect more cars are being bought, new and old, with credit. The Ferrari problem is just an incredible production number compared to Lamborghini. Without googling, the 360 production is something like 20,000 units. Lamborghini might have made 40,000 cars since day one.

20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I just don't see the credit angle. During the financial crisis all my business lines of credit were pulled with never a late payment or high running balance. I now self fund my company and we are debt free and don't need any loans. But, I asked if they would reinstate one of the lines as a back up. Sure they said....just reapply. Yeah, I told them where to go. I'm also selling off my rentals and the buyers that want to buy can't get approved. Credit is still tight.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, its the premium price for what MAY be over the long run the least expensive variant (early VT).

Car has been for sale for like 3 months....but looks like the market is catching up to it, so it proably sells in the next couple of months. The car itself looks really nice.

22. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    You dont think that honour will go to the early 2wd?

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I've always seen the Diablos placed in 3 close pricing groups. The early 2wd + VT's then the Roadsters + SV's then the 6.0

Of course the special cars like the SE varients and GT have their own categories.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No, I don't because in talking to serious shoppers/buyers there is a segment that regret missing out on a Countach and want the closest thing to that experiece.

Another segment want the most polished and powerful variants ('99s and newer), and are willing to pay a premium.

Then there are those like me where a proper weekender = a manual transmission convertible, which has tons of cachet because Lamborghini had never made a 12 cyl open car previously.

Agree with my skirt-chasing roadster brother that the SE's are in a different catagory.

So the early VTs come accross as "tweeners" for alot of us.

25. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Early cars are lightest,
    -No ABS
    -No power steering
    -No front lifting system
    -No front wheel difrential, but strange thing is all cars do have tunnel for front drive shaft

I have driven -99 Roadster and 2WD car and two are world of diffrence, both bone stock, even exhaust.
    Roadster felt like any easy driving car, not a big fan for later interior, but huge fan for old double row cauge dash. Early cars have classic "Ferrari Daytona" seats.

I have try to buy Diablo now for two months, but all cars seem to be sold or asking prices are rised.