Official Diablo Value Thread | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Official Diablo Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Shark01, Feb 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    This is exactly my thinking. Ok, you sell and cash in. Now what do you buy with 250k - 300k ? I like a Diablo because it's raw, in your face, stick shift and has relatively unsophisticated computers by today's standards.
    I like to work on my cars for fun, so the pre 99, mainly only needs a code scanner and a multimeter. An egear Murci? Forget about doing anything more sophisticated than an oil change. This is also why I love my Testarossa. No computers, not even an automatic cylinder bank shut down on an high cat temp reading.

I like my sophisticated f250 work trucks. They're reliable and go straight to the dealership. But...I don't want to work on them.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Spot on, why i sold my 01 Diablo way back,and a major reason i kept my 88 Countach for 9 or so years,and loving it, (also the fact it is The absolute to die for coolest car ever) as i mentioned a while back on this tread, The early Diablo is the one(imo) to own,my 91 was raw and primitive, and brutl,yet easy to drive nd fun to work on,basic nd simple,love to get another,if the right deal nocks on my door.

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    looks cleaner

4. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I prefer the SV stickers. The Diablo is the only car that can get away with stickers that big.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    looks clean love it

6. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Drove my '91 today, the car is just sick. Mines for sale, $400K but then what? Can't get a CGT for that anymore, can't get a F40 or Mac F1. Don't want anything else. Better hold on to the Diablo I guess.

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    400k for a 91 diablo ? fr 400k aventador ,mac 650 s ,458 speciale all 3 of these cars are amazing .keep the diablo if no nee to sell i miss my vt and sv and will get another one down the road

8. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Aventador, Speciale, Mac are all amazing, but still lack the old school rawness of a Diablo. I got pulled over today in Costa Mesa and thought damn my plates are up and I didn't have a dealer tag on me, cop just asked if it was a countach, drooled over the car for a bit and told me to drive safe. That's a rarity in OC. I was stoked!

9. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf

But......all the three you mention are the new world of 'computer' cars, with computers doing all the hard work at the limit. Shoot, a chimpanzee can drive any of these new 'computer' cars to fast lap times!

Collectors and enthusiasts seem to want the 'old school' cars without computers, and the Diablo is the last Lambo production car ever built that is not a 'computer' car...it is a car controlled by the driver, at the driver's risk, gain, thrill, danger, excitement, and reward of really driving it without artificial help. 'Computer' cars are becoming similar to video games or simulators in terms of the type of excitement they produce. f you take the transportation and vanity/ego elements out of 'computer' cars, are they really any more fun than those other electronic substitutes?

So, I will venture to say that in several years, the Diablo will be worth more than any of these 'computer' cars you mention. Most 'computer' cars just keep on depreciating, eventually to be obsolete as the electronics become old, obsolete, and fail , with no way to restore them.

What are the Amiga, Commodore and Atari home computers worth today? ZERO. They are obsolete, and nobody can work on them after they fail. Ditto for all the computers in the old, or soon to be old 'computer' cars like the three mentioned. There are countless examples of this already occurring....eg: original non-computer M3 compared to all the later 'computer' variants, and so on.

All just my opinion of course.

10. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    All just my opinion of course.

But its 110% correct..

This past weekend I drove a 50th 720 Aventador to a show, I was followed by my 01 Diablo 6.0SE. The 50th was fast, loud, comfy and I had to do nothing to dive it all..just left it in AUTO and I was a F1 Champion driving it....

On the way back, I took my 6.0..it had to be tamed, punished, driven correctly and I RODE it like the bull it is to my satisfaction KNOWING I had made it do everything it did..and it was ALL ME and ALL FUN

11. dcast18

dcast18 Karting

Jan 18, 2009
    haha..i have an A2000 and a MegaST in my closet...

12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i still have my atari like new games in a box since i was a kid

13. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's because Commodore and Atari computers still work - they generally never fail. And in many cases, they cost more now than they did back in the day.

Not a good comparison at all.

And with 3D printers becoming more advanced every day combined with laser scanning, you will be able to print new parts as needed. It's only a matter of time.

14. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Vaholtorf is exactly right. The disposable car is here. Even if these cars can be repaired in the future who's going to invest in them to do it. What's the return? Certainly not driving satisfaction.

3D printing will not be the fix everybody thinks it will be, and especially is no help with electronics!

15. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I found the original owner of my 99 SV and found it was delivered without the stickers.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    More roadsters for sale right now than I've seen in over a year.....but these prices...geez.

But then again, they slot pretty well even at these inflated prices....no Miura or Countach roadsters, the first gen Murcielago had a poorer power to weight ratio than the last Diablos, the roof on all Murcielagos is simply a cluster-F, and the Aventador roadster is still $450k.

And show us a similar mid-engine V-12 roadster Ferrari option that is less than $750k....none

17. bcfromfl

bcfromfl Rookie

Apr 11, 2015
    What's wrong with the roof on Murcis?

18. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I believe he was referring to murci roadsters.

19. bcfromfl

bcfromfl Rookie

Apr 11, 2015
    Gotcha -- the "all" in there threw me.

20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I was at Lamborghini Sarasota today for a brunch get together. There were Aventadors, Murcilagos, Gallardo, and Hurricans everywhere. I pull in with the lone Diablo. ...make that the lone Diablo VT Roadster and everyone went nuts with camera phones everywhere.
    ...and these are Lamborghini guys lol

The car is that rare and idolized.
    The Murcilago Roadster roof is a joke. Even the head tech at the dealership told me it takes him 15 minutes of frustration to put it back on....and he does this for a living.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

21. andecorp

andecorp Formula 3

Jun 5, 2005
    Melb
    Yeah, right!
    Lamborghini Diablo 5.7 SV 2dr

I'd sell mine for that! And mine is chassis number 1 out of the 16 built (RHD) and it's in the SV launch colour and it has the factory CF interior pack.

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Daymn! That kind of money buys a lot of hookers and blow lol

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

23. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    some asking are crazy today....

the diablo market is on the up...but slowly
    dealers are crazy sometimes

24. Britzky9

Britzky9 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2010
    Phila region
    This...and funny, the feeding frenzy about 6 months ago was almost all from dealer purchases...and those cars then ended up back on the open market at a 35% to 50% increase.

The question is, is the market truly "hot" or is it that there was such a small amount of supply available in the open market and prices have been artificially inflated by the dealer turn around?

We've already seen on this board where a dealer has said "the market cooled off"...going to be pretty interesting to watch over the next 6 to 9 months.

25. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    You hit it right there...."supply" We all know that there's very few Diablos made by today's production norms. When one goes up, others will follow.

You either have a Diablo or want a Diablo...and how bad you want the exclusivity will decide if you pay the price.
    Forget about rehashing all the market analysis all over again but if you have a Diablo you're probably not in a "need" to sell it.
    I would speculate that most of us here are business owners. If we survived the recession and were able to hold onto our cars, we're doing very well right now. So, as long as the economy is doing well, we will and there won't be any "fire sales"

Am I bias? You bet, I hardly ever drive my Ferrari. ..only when the Diablo is down for cleaning and maintenance.

Shamile

Freeze. ..Miami Vice!