Official emission figures for Euro 308 gt4 | FerrariChat

Official emission figures for Euro 308 gt4

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew Smith, Feb 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    I have imported my 1974 308 gt4 into California and am having a conversation with the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) about registering it. DMV requires an official "letter" from Ferrari stating the emissions the car would have produced when new.

(I know that smog only started in 1975 and my car is exempt, but its seems to me complicated than that.... they introduced "gross polluter" legislation in 1968, which they now police with the same emission levels as 1975 and newer. I read the enclosed form the DMV website and naively imported the car, which i have owned for 9 yrs)

It doesn't seem easy to get a letter from Ferrari stating that "VIN number XXXXX has emissions of xyz" so I will have to settle for something more generic. Does anyone have a document that might satisfy the DMV?
    Thanks in advance!

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Car would be exempt in Cali if it were already here. Maybe you just got a hard-nosed clerk, but more probably, there is more involved when you import a car? Someone with more experience will chime in here.
    I have used private DMV services just to avoid this kind of BS from the DMV. Can you cancel your paperwork and start over?
    Good luck.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Once it is in, it is exempted from biannual SMOG test. But, before that, you have to prove that it has all the equipment that came with it from the factory. Perhaps you can submit a parts diagram appropriate for the VIN that you have. Just a guess, this is a least understood area in a very strict state. You could also find a SMOG referee and ask him to print for you a diagram of what a 1974 GT4 should have for SMOG.

If I remember correctly, the California legal one needs SMOG pump, injection rails, and muffler with thermal coupler (no Cat). However, I do not know if they want you to have the EU equipment or the US equipment.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    My guess, and it is only a guess, is that, as the car is an "Euro" (see the thread title), there is probably no "official document" of any kind about its emissions. I may be wrong on this but emissions were not measured during the seventies, at least not officially by the manufacturers.
    Remember that the first legislation making the catalysators mandatory was in 1987 for Switzerland only, and in 1992 for the EU. Read here: Euro Ferraris didn't have any emission control device of any kind before the 348 and Mondial T in 1989 (except for the 328/Mondial 3,2: already in 1987 BUT for Switzerland only).
    On an "Euro" 308 GT4, there is no Equipment as for emissions controling devices: no smog pump, no injection rail, no muffler with thermal coupler...no nothing (unless the car has been converted)

Rgds

5. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    Hi Nerofer. I am worried you are correct, that there is no documentation of emissions for a car from 74.

The car is stock European, not modified and never will be. I was hoping that somewhere in a manual, perhaps on the same page as the horsepower and torque output there would be some emission figures.

The letter from DMV states that "You must obtain a letter confirming this information and the letter must identify your vehicle be the vehicle identification number (VIN)" Hopefully DMV will understand that that information was never available and Ferrari are unlikely to want to write one retrospectively, and that more generic information will be enough. I will keep looking.

Im also wondering if registering in another state and then moving the car to CA could be a work around. Has anyone ever moved a non CA car to CA, or even a Euro car to CA?

Thanks all

A

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Page C21 of the 110/75 308GT4 WSM shows the CO specification for each cylinder of a euro version (4~4.5 % CO), but the requirement you need to meet of a letter from F with you exact VIN shown = virtually impossible (which is what the CA Nazi intended). Although the euro 308GT4 OM 91/74 shows the detailed carburettor internal component specs, it just says to have the mixture checked periodically (without saying what the emission specs is/are).

7. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Karting

May 9, 2010
    Southern Norway
    Steve, thats good information about the WSM. Im not sure i have that one but will check. Agree that the letter requirement is a tactic by DMV. Anyone know what a letter from F in 1974 would theoretically look like, are there any examples to study...?

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Andrew, you can download a pdf copy of the 308GT4 WSM (and other useful stuff) from Carl Rose's website:

http://ferrari.cdyn.com/