Oil/Gearbox Pan: Gasket vs Sealant | FerrariChat

Oil/Gearbox Pan: Gasket vs Sealant

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tifosi100, Jun 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi100

Tifosi100 Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Montana
    I'm right in the middle of replacing my gearbox and oil pan gaskets (as well as the fuel hoses too) and am finding differing answers to the "best" way to seal the pans. I'm going to use stat-o-seal washers and acorn nuts for the studs, but regarding the pan and gaskets...
    option 1: Use only a good new gasket
    option 2: Use only a gasket eliminator like Loctite 518
    option 3: Use gasket and Loctite 518
    option 4: Use gasket and some sealant - Hondabond / Grey RTV / etc

Thoughts?

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Right or wrong, I used choice 4.

No drips from that joint in 5 years.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Having used option 3 a few years ago , I've now just re-done mine with option 4 + dowty washers & nylocks. It was time for a gear oil change anyway so I figured I might as well do it to see if I could stop it weeping oil

As above (i.e. right or wrong!)

I used an OEM gasket

I cleaned the gasket face of the pan and the sump with paint thinners - twice

I took a scotchpad to both sides of the gasket lightly

I spread a very thin film of Loctite 5990 on the pan side of the gasket, then placed it on the pan, then spread another thin film on the upper side of the gasket. By thin I mean so thin that when torqued down there was almost no "squash-out" of the sealer.

I put the detent balls & springs back in place with a small amount of grease & cleaned up around the holes with thinners again.

Screwed the pan up by hand evenly then waited about 20 minutes & then torqued the nuts to 10nm. I've then left it empty of oil - it'll probably stay empty for another 2-3 days before I get the time to refill it.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Option 3 worked for me.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Permatex do a special gearbox sealant which is claimed to be proof against synthetic gear oils.

They seem to be implying that other sealants are not, but not sure if this is just a marketing ploy.

I used it on my diff output shaft splines.

Gasket Makers : Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Concur. I have been doing that for years on the 328 and on BrittBikes. I promise you that a non-leaking Norton Commando motorcycle is a genuine celebrity and method 4 will do it. (I use Permatex Moto Seal).

7. Tifosi100

Tifosi100 Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    Montana
    Thanks to all for your input... Just ordered some Hondabond... My father-in-law is a previous Honda motorcycle/ATV dealership owner (and mechanic) and he also swears by option 4.

Also I've never seen a non leaking Norton Commando - but leaking or not, I'd still love one - haven't ridden a Commando in 20 years but still remember it to this day. My Triumph Bonneville is nice but that Commando was really something!

Thanks!

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My only bike for the past 10 years has been my '73 Commando, which I ride regularly on everything from nice smooth highways, to very twisty mountain/desert roads, to cbblestones, to gravel/dirt roads. It has soaked it all up with no issues.

The Permatex Motoseal handles all the gasket sealer duties on it as well as the Ferrari.

But the Norton is now relegated to "special appearances." I just purchased a BMW R9T which will take over the job of daily rider. Of course, if I decide I don't really like the 9T after I put some time on it, I'll promptly sell it and the Norton will resume its roll...with the help of Permatex Moto!